Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

I disagree with everything Sharky said about Bone Tomahawk (by standards of unbelievable plots, it's... pretty tame. *Nudges stack of 2000ADS with foot*)

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 July, 2017, 09:34:07 AM
Deadpool
There's plenty of extras on the Blu-Ray too. I rarely watch these things more than once, (or all of them for that matter) but they're nice. Looking forward to checking out the commentaries later. Probably not all one after the other, there being three!

Correction: there are two.

The Legendary Shark

Spider-Man: Homecoming. Been pretty disappointed with most of my film choices recently so it was good to finally break that miserable run. This film was never going to be as jaw-droppingly good as the first Tobey Maguire one because that's the film (for me) when special effects finally caught up with the idea of a Marvel super hero and the effects in this new offering were good enough, which is all I expected. The story was good and moved along at a decent pace and all the actors were on form. I was especially glad that I didn't have to sit through another origin story. Not the best Marvel film I've ever seen but also far from being a disappointment - a decent addition to the continuing MU series.

As a plus, on the way out of the cinema I saw a guy taking down a couple of big vinyl posters. "I suppose those are spoken for," I said to the guy.

"Take 'em," he said, "it'll save me carrying them back to the van."

So, I got a big vinyl poster for War for the Planet of the Apes and my mate got one for Baby Driver.

Good film and a nerdy freebie - result!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Kes

My first Loach film is his hallmark - it's more of a slice of time than a coherent narrative though. The gritty textures of late sixties Barnsley, the greasy quiffs and chips. The fuckin' Dandy. The smoky factoryscapes and grubby green fields. The stuttering stumbling incoherent locals and the lurchingly uneven tone of it all is massively charming. It is reality awkwardly stuffed into a film and all messily busting out at the edges. Like - why was there a running score on the screen for the football game?! Why did it end so suddenly?! I genuinely can't wait to watch it again. My Loachquest begins here.

Tiplodocus

So  a gag 17 years in the making came to fruition tonight when we watched the sublime CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. (DIRECTORS CUT)

Spielberg at the height Of his powers ably assisted by John Williams and Douglas Trumbull. My goodness it's great. Barely a word of exposition and the climactic final 40 minutes just flies by.

Anyway, the gag was that when Tiny Tips was actually Tiny , I used to sing "Good night Tiny Tips" as a  lullaby to him to the tune of the five notes from Close Encounters. All the time. Then when he got to about the age of four and, sadly, no longer needed snuggling to sleep, I stopped.

But tonight, watching Close Encounters for the first time he was... "I know that music! Where do I know that music from?".

Am I a genius parent or am I evil?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2017, 01:36:45 AM
So  a gag 17 years in the making came to fruition tonight when we watched the sublime CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. (DIRECTORS CUT)

Spielberg at the height Of his powers ably assisted by John Williams and Douglas Trumbull. My goodness it's great. Barely a word of exposition and the climactic final 40 minutes just flies by.

Anyway, the gag was that when Tiny Tips was actually Tiny , I used to sing "Good night Tiny Tips" as a  lullaby to him to the tune of the five notes from Close Encounters. All the time. Then when he got to about the age of four and, sadly, no longer needed snuggling to sleep, I stopped.

But tonight, watching Close Encounters for the first time he was... "I know that music! Where do I know that music from?".

Am I a genius parent or am I evil?

Strange, I watched this tonight too!!!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Apestrife

"Amy", the docu on Amy Winehouse. Quite heavy to watch. Knew it'd be bad, but not as this. Lots of tragedy. Still, I thought there where alot of glory in her story. Perhaps that what made it worse watching it. Very much recommending this one.

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 July, 2017, 05:08:02 AM

This means something.

Spikes

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2017, 01:36:45 AM
....we watched the sublime CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. (DIRECTORS CUT)

CE3K is simply aces. Perhaps my favourite Spielberg film. Even though, as I've gotten older, the film makes less and less sense.

And something seems to be gearing up for it's 40th anniversary - here

Zarjazzer

The Lego Batman movie, how I laughed. Featuring the BBC's [spoiler]"British robots".[/spoiler]
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 July, 2017, 11:26:30 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 July, 2017, 05:08:02 AM

This means something.

Watch the skies, TordelBack!

If we develop a strange compunction to model the Devils Tower and take a road trip, I think you could be right!!!   :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

War For The Planet Of The Apes.

I have a lot of time for the PotA movies thus far, being comfortably the smartest and most affecting big studio SF franchise I can remember for a lot of years. This final entry is surprisingly low-key -- [spoiler]the titular war is actually between two human factions with the apes caught in the crossfire, and it doesn't arrive until late in the final act.[/spoiler]

Nonetheless, it's a fitting and effective finale to the trilogy. I'm sorry to see it finish, but I'm very satisfied with how this plays out. The CGI, as ever, is remarkable for its ability to capture nuance and emotion, and there's a surprising amount of well-judged humour. I normally twitch a bit at films much over two hours, but this zips through a 140-minute running time. Well worth a watch.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 July, 2017, 06:09:19 PMNonetheless, it's a fitting and effective finale to the trilogy.

I have a feeling the linear re-do of POTA will continue.

The Legendary Shark

I've been enjoying these films and look forward to seeing this latest one and those to follow.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 July, 2017, 08:34:41 PM
I have a feeling the linear re-do of POTA will continue.

Fair enough. I'd missed that, and this movie had been built up as the final one. That said, there are some plot threads that, whilst not exactly dangling do hint at possible future developments. [spoiler]The fact that "Nova" demonstrates that the virus is not the death sentence the Colonel believes it to be, for instance.[/spoiler]

I did also wonder whether the throwaway line about the 'lost' astronauts on Mars at the start of Dawn was a hint that this franchise was playing a very long game...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.