Main Menu

What do I watch: Pacific Rim or The Wolverine?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 30 November, 2013, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Well?

The missus is out, and I'm going to watch one (so no "they're both rubbish"!).

Which one?

Is Pacific Rim a visually splendid but ultimately dull fight a thon? Or is that the Wolverine?
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I haven't seen The Wolverine, but I really enjoyed Pacific Rim.

Satanist

Watched half of PR and never felt the urge to watch the rest and fell asleep to Wolverine.

So watch PR and let me know how it ends.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Jim_Campbell

I'm utterly unmoved by the X-franchise these days, but I really enjoyed Pacific Rim, too. It's important to stress that this film will NOT change your life. Characterisation is in fairly broad strokes — if you think of it as live action anime, you won't go far wrong.

It's a film designed to speak directly to your inner twelve-year-old boy. Beautifully designed monsters and impressively solid giant mechs beating the tar out of each other, some nice world-building and a plot that isn't an iota more complicated than it needs to be.

There are far worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

I'd say Pacific Rim too - even though I haven't seen it.

Although REALLY I'd say "screw both of them and watch all of Deadwood" but that would take aaaaaaagges

Hawkmumbler

Pacific Rim is as daft as anything but utterly fun and easily the best "mainstream"* film of recent years.

*'Grimaces at the over franchised nature of the film industry in general'

HdE

Pacific Rim is the clear winner here - it's an INSANE amount of fun!

But DO make sure you give The Wolverine your attention soon. I thought it was fantastic.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

I, Cosh

No desire to watch either but, in your situation, Pacific Rim would be my choice.

We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Went for Wolverine as I was watching with my lad. Am I a bad father for thinking the frequent swearing was a bit off while not being fussed about the excessive violence?

As mrs x is out, I may be led into watching Pacific Rim now...

Edit: Just as soon as I hang up a washing on the pulley. For such is the excitement of a Saturday night in the X household.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 November, 2013, 08:57:40 PM
Went for Wolverine as I was watching with my lad. Am I a bad father for thinking the frequent swearing was a bit off while not being fussed about the excessive violence?

Seriously? Everyone said Pacific Rim, a film emphatically aimed at young boys of all ages, and you went with some dull X-yawn regardless and then moan that choosing the film everyone said not to watch wasn't as suitable as the film everyone said you should watch?

I'll confess I'm slightly baffled...

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 November, 2013, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 November, 2013, 08:57:40 PM

Seriously? Everyone said Pacific Rim, a film emphatically aimed at young boys of all ages, and you went with some dull X-yawn regardless and then moan that choosing the film everyone said not to watch wasn't as suitable as the film everyone said you should watch?

I'll confess I'm slightly baffled...

Cheers

Jim

"Let's watch Pacific Rim. It's got giant monsters fighting big robots"
"Who's in it?"
"No one. It's robots versus monsters. Like Godzilla but with explosions."
"Is Batman in it?"
"No."
"I want to see a superhero."
"But some films can be good without superheroes."

A beat.

"Can we watch the Avengers again, daddy?"

And from that weak negotiating position, Wolverine became an alternative to the Michael Keaton Batman or The Avengers.
Lock up your spoons!

SmallBlueThing

I've not seen The Wolverine, and I enjoyed Pacific Rim at the cinema immensely- but unless you have an enormous 3D TV, I feel Pacific Rim would be a huge let-down on home viewing. That's certainly the reason I never expect to watch it again. Wolverine seems more suited to a small screen- despite my feelings on it being much the same as Jim's- absolute indifference.

SBT

CrazyFoxMachine

"I WANT TO WATCH A FILM WITH A CHARACTER I RECOGNISE IN IT, NOTHING NEW OR WEIRD"

Was that your kid talking or a Hollywood executive?

ohohoho hoho hum

I'll get my horse. I mean coat.

I mean horsecoat.

CheechFU

pacific rim was a lot worse than I thought it was going to be and wolverine was a little bit better than I thought it was going to be.
they were both pretty shit tbh.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr

PACIFIC RIM

Was just awful, and not worth the $30.00 AUD I payed for the DVD

I just thought the idea of needing two mind-linked Pilots directing the movements of these giant robot Jeagers very lame and then the fighting moves weren't nothing special. The monsters, I forget what they were called exactly. Some sort of giant Shark/Crustacean hybrid turned out be a big let down just like the rest of the movie.[spoiler] I just signed with exasperation when I saw Ron's Perlman's Character slice his way out of corpse of one of the infant giant monsters. Like he could never be killed.. [/spoiler] I'm only glad I didn't fork out nearly $50.00 AUD to see this in HD/3D at the movies.

I'm not sure about Wolverine. Set in Japan. Sounds a bit like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one.

I would wait for the The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug to come out and watch that instead.