Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

The argument there being what was the original intention?

Take this cover by Cam - you can see the colour from the blue of the uniform loosely overlaps the black ink.

Would the original intention have been to have had more solid blacks, given the option and possibly better stock?

Since any new versions would not be on the same stock, I'm not sure whether a purist 'this is how it looked', where you're already compromising the feel of the paper is better or worse than something struck from the original separations (if available)

You're already seeing through the page on this to the inside cover - should that be reproduced as well?

I'm just curious what people prefer, and why.

Richard

QuoteMental. Seriously. Oz colour spreads where some of the best ever...

Er, Oz was in progs 545 to 570, which is chronologically and mathematically AFTER prog 500.

TordelBack

Well my immediate reaction to that is 'sweet cheeses, that Cam Kennedy draws like some magnificent god'.  My second reaction is 'whatever looks best'. As Steve says, the CFs are no longer printed on stapled bog-paper anyway, so they can never be a replica of the aesthetics of the original comic as produced.  That being the case, make the content as close to the original intention as possible.  As long as they leave the Next Progs, Logos, Titles and Thargnotes in I'm happy.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 February, 2015, 06:34:29 PM
Well my immediate reaction to that is 'sweet cheeses, that Cam Kennedy draws like some magnificent god'.

Kennedy just ruled Dredd during this period — I was more excited to open the prog and find Cam on Dredd in that 400s/500s stint than I was to see a Bolland Dredd back in the 100s/200s.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

The depth of his work on low-key stuff like The Falucci Tape and Sunday Night Fever is spectacular, but the one I keep coming back to is The Warlord. How he can make something as totally daft as 12ft-tall Samurai and their borderline-racist wily oriental mystic boss so absolutely real and quite terrifying is still beyond me. 

Richard

Cam Kennedy hasn't drawn Dredd since 2006. It would be nice to have him back again.

And Bolland too -- and not just a cover, but a strip.

Steve Green

Richard

That's a damn shame. Poor guy.

On the other subject, Dash Decent found this the other day:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Casefiles-John-Wagner/dp/1781083320

A 10th anniversary reprint of Case Files 1 with colour centre spreads.

Steve Green

BPP

Quote from: Richard on 01 February, 2015, 06:31:07 PM
QuoteMental. Seriously. Oz colour spreads where some of the best ever...

Er, Oz was in progs 545 to 570, which is chronologically and mathematically AFTER prog 500.

OZ was 2 pages colour, 4 pages B&W, meaning, a la The Casefiles, it will be reprinted in greyscale-colour. It was only an illustrative example of the many good colour spreads before Dredd turned all colour.

Sorry to disabuse you of your snark.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Richard

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

QuoteOZ was 2 pages colour, 4 pages B&W...

Yes, I know. I was talking about colour centre spreads (and so was everyone else).

Quoteit will be reprinted in greyscale-colour.

Will it? The whole debate was about whether they will/should be reprinted in the original colour.

QuoteIt was only an illustrative example of the many good colour spreads before Dredd turned all colour.

Yes and I agree with you that Oz was coloured in well, which is why I used prog 500 as a cut-off point.

QuoteSorry to disabuse you of your snark.

It's the Internet. The whole reason Tim Berners-Lee invented it in the first place was to facilitate sarcasm.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Just seen the advert on ITV4. Looks good. The Kennedy colour spread is fine. If there is an issue with quality, just colour enhance whilst maintaining the integrity. They surley can't be mutually exclusive. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

BPP

Quote from: Richard on 01 February, 2015, 09:34:55 PM

Quoteit will be reprinted in greyscale-colour.

Will it? The whole debate was about whether they will/should be reprinted in the original colour.

According to multiple correspondence cited on this forum, yes it will.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

SuperSurfer

I picked up issue 1 last week, unwrapped it today and read about two thirds. What a damn good book.

TBH I wasn't sure if I was going to buy it due to a problem common amongst us quadragenarians: space. But the price did the trick. Good tactics.   

Having just bought the prog and the Meg I did a u-turn back into the thrill merchants in Crouch End, London to look for it. Was craftily hidden under the bottom shelf. I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't looking for it. Not good Mr Thrill Merchant.

WHSmiths seem to be displaying it very prominently. I noticed last week there was one left in the Kings Cross station branch. Nicely positioned in view as soon as one walks in. Had a stand all to itself in WHSmiths Enfield Town.

I showed issue 1 to my brother who as a result bought it. That's a result as he hasn't bought an issue of 2000AD since the 80s.

I do prefer colour spreads. But I can't see how any of the original colour spreads can be printed as nature intended. What would the aim be?
• To print them as they appeared on original newsprint?
• To print them to look like the original artwork ie the colour separations that Steve Cook holds?
(I see Steve G just asked more or less the same).
Surely the originals were painted using more vivid colours with the expectation that they would be dulled by the paper stock (as was the case with US comics).
• Or should original separations be scanned then adjusted to match printed copies. No doubt there won't be enough originals around and consistency would be important.

Not easy. Anyway, having said all that the end result in the recent ABC Warriors book was fab.

I will buy issue 2 as the start of Mechanismo was published during my wilderness years and I am way behind with Case Files, then I'll take it from there.