Main Menu

Dreddcon Pitchfest

Started by Mike Carroll, 23 September, 2005, 10:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

I have a few questions about the Pitchfest; perhaps someone who has participated in one before can answer them?

1. Do we need to put our names down in advance? If so, how and when do we do that? (I can't imagine that it's just some sort of frenzied free-for-all!)

2. How much time do we get?

3. Are they looking for a quick idea or a fully-developed tale with samples of dialogue and everything?

4. If my pitch isn't impressing the panel, can they stop me before I'm finished?

5. Are there any restrictions? I.e., Future Shocks only, no Dredd, etc.

6. Would it help if I brought along some sort of monetary or confectionary bribe?

Cheers,
Mike C
(Who, in a week's time, will be in Oxford! Yay!)

johnnystress

I believe it works along the same lines as The Gong Show mike

Art

The details seem to vary each year, but here goes:

1) Yes. Last year it was Jamie Boardman, in the years before it's been Kev Sutherland. I heard an unconfirmed rumour that pitches might be screened in advance this year, but if that's true they;ve left it a bit late to tell anyone.

2) Again, it varies, but about two minutes. If you cna sum   up your idea in a minute and a half you're on solid ground.

3) Definately a quick idea.

4) No. Though they may wish to... someone "boimbing" on stage with their pitch is not a pretty sight, and those twoi minutes drag on forever...

5) Futureshocks and other short tales have the best chance.

6) Try booze. It won't work, but it'll make the panel more amusing.

Dudley

1. Do we need to put our names down in advance? If so, how and when do we do that? (I can't imagine that it's just some sort of frenzied free-for-all!)

- Yes, grab Matt Smith at some point over the day and get him to put your name down, or just turn up at the start of the session.

- 2 minutes apiece last year, 3 minutes the year before.

3. Are they looking for a quick idea or a fully-developed tale with samples of dialogue and everything?

- 2 minutes.  Not much time.  if you cangetthepitchoutwithouttalkinglikethis it's a result.

4. If my pitch isn't impressing the panel, can they stop me before I'm finished?

- Probably, but they've never done it.

- No.  But it should only be Future Shocks, really.

6. Would it help if I brought along some sort of monetary or confectionary bribe?

- Yes.  Confectionary for the audience, money for the judges.

Max Kon

I think i might do another improv like last year

Quirkafleeg

>1 Do we need to put our names down in advance?
If so, how and when do we do that?

Yes but you only need to do it minutes before it starts

>2. How much time do we get?

A few minutes? Three is it?

>3. Are they looking for a quick idea or a fully-developed tale with samples of dialogue and
everything?

Enought to get your idea over in the time... a precis of the plot with an outline of the characters. The old advice is imagine telling your mate in the pub about a film you saw last night. And include the ending.

>5. Are there any restrictions? I.e., Future Shocks only, no Dredd, etc.

Future Shocks, Terror Tales, Past Imperfects etc... NO DREDD!

>6. Would it help if I brought along some sort of monetary or confectionary bribe?

Only if you give it to me

>I believe it works along the same lines as The Gong Show mike

Stop spreading baseless rumours!

Art

ALso, and this is the most important thing, commit it to memory! If you take a notes with you make sure they're for bullet-point reminders, don't write down the whole thing and read from it - nothing looses the audiences interest faster than someone mumbling into a sheet of paper.

Slippery PD

All through the day they ask for names, which are called out at random during pichfest.

Somewhere between 5 and 10 mins

They want a summary of the tale, with examples of dialogue and any punchline, etc, will help.  Also something like descriptions of places and characters will be a bonus and most of all have fun and be confident.

They might, no ones been kicked off as such

they prefer the shorter stuff.  Future shocks, past imperfects, etc.  Ive seen Dredd stuff pitched but theyve not really gotten far

Yes but only if you buy drinks!! :)

Slips

Art

Well, a Dredd pitch won last year. But since it wasn;t what they were looking for it didn't get published, which is rather the point of entering pitchfest.

Slippery PD

yeah forgot about that and the time was so short.

Getting too old

SLips

Mike Carroll

Thanks, guys...

I've no problems with speaking in public (I do have a problem with shutting up in public), but if there's no liklihood of a winning Dredd getting published, then I don't think I'll bother... I'll save my absolutely brilliant Dredd idea for a fan-fiction piece, and I can use my non-Dredd ideas elsewhere.

Cheers,
Mike C

Art

You sure? If you've got an absolutely cracking Future Shock idea stashed away this is probably the best chance it's got these days. And, despite the trail-by-fire nature of the event it's immense fun, and everyone will buy you drinks afterwards even if you crashed and burned.

Quirkafleeg

Yeah, don't be a wimp man!

(Although as 'Wierd' Al Ewing always wins it I don't know why anyone else bothers)

Art

That would a bit weird seeing as he's listed as one of the Guests...

Quirkafleeg

>That would a bit weird seeing as he's listed as one of the Guests...

Like that will stop him...