Main Menu

worst thrills!

Started by Leigh S, 02 December, 2001, 06:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Obviously a lot of you vote on recent progs, but very few have gone delved into the archives to vote on bygone progs except perhaps to vote on your favourites.  This means that all the bottom thrills are stories that have appeared recently - while i'm not trying to say Killer deserves a spot in the top ten, there are surely more deserving cases for the worst ever thrills list (everything by Millar and Fleischer spring to my mind).  Go on, vent your anger at that awful old strip that you've tried to blank out all these years - get some closure!!

McNulty

I've always tried to give 2000ad stories the benefit of the doubt over the years. I could read the earlier ones and find something postive to say about them. Those times came to an end when one story vommitted itself on the pages of this illustrous publication. I speak of none other than Bradley. A classic example of a Future shock that never should have been given its own series. Try as I might I could not find any redeemable features to this loathsome strip. I came to the unmistakable conclusion that it was simply taking up valuable space, which could have been used to show the greats (Dredd, Alpha, Rogue, Sam Slade etc). Sorry if I went off on a rant there, but if you read the strip - you'll understand.  

Leigh S

As someone who will never forgive Simon Harrison for what he did with Strontum Dog, I'm with you all the way!  Not in my all time top ten worst (as there are enough Millar and Fleischer stories to fill that many slots!), but dire all the same.  Once I've tracked down the little bastard's first (non-shock) appearance, I'll post up the prog number and we can vote on it - course there may be some people who love the sprog, but we won't know til we put him to the vote!

Leigh S

go to -characters/profiles/bradley- and you can vote on all of his stories.  Apparently we are in the minority here though McNulty, as the "Bradley goes Gothic" has rated a respectable 6.79!

2000AD Online

I`m working on it, O watcher and am indeed going back through all of my collection and voting on it.

O Lucky Stevie!

what, no mention of Outla...blooorp!!!!

oh christ, excuse me,

steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mk13

You seem to have vomit seeping through your fingers...

evil.genius

I liked Bradley then and I still think it's good. But then I could never stand Flesh, which a lot of people seem to like a lot. Suppose tastes vary.

Wood

I liked Bradley, too. In fact, I read Bradley's Sleigh Ride (from 604) this morning (I've been working thru my huge donated heap on an irregular basis) and thinking how good it was. I really liked Bradley Goes Gothic... although its humour depends completely on how aware you are of the Sisters of Mercy and what they did...

Hey now, now...

Leigh S

'Bradley' is currently marginally above 'Flesh' ion the voting with 6.74, compared to 6.67.

'Outlaw' has yet to receive 5 votes of approval/disapproval (go to prog 1000 to vote for this).  Neither has Fleischer's 'Rogue Trooper' or Millar's 'Robohunter', both of which can conveniently be found in Prog 723.  Amazingly (IMO) Bill Savage is threatening to storm into the top ten with a stonking 8 for 'Invasion'!

McNulty

Coincidentally enough, Gavin Bennett got into Dreddlines in the January 2002 Meg (which arrived this A.M.)asking for the Sprog to be reprinted. Can there be a vast pro-Bradley conspiracy going on?

McNulty

Oh my God! He's on the 2000AD Advent calendar as well! There's no escape!

Jeff Tiley

I'm sorry, I have to say this as it's been bugging me for 5 years. I liked Outlaw! Okay the story was limited, but the artwork on the series was great. I think that it is much maligned along with Black Light. I still look back on the prog's in the early 1000's with much fondness.
As for the worst stories how about Babe Race 2000, surely the worst thing ever to come out of Mark Millars typewriter, Lord knows there's been some stinkers. Kelly's Eye, Space Girls, Blair 1, Trash. I think I'd better stop there! The good has always outweighed the bad off course.

Leigh S

Hope you've gone and voted for it Jeff - personally, I too think that a lot worse has been published.  However, the ever changing art did it no favours, nor the plodding strip.  Nothing special really - as for your list of hate - i agree they are all worse than Outlaw, so I'm off to vote for them as well..

Leigh S

Just went to prog 888 to vote on BabeRace2000 and came across another stinker - The Clown!  Ugh!!