Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 December, 2020, 08:55:20 AM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 December, 2020, 08:33:05 AM
Mind you, this year I think Colin has been more responsible for my impulse buying than anyone else!

That man is the very devil himself.

I apologise for nothing. NOTHING...

...unless i've steeed you to anything you've not enjoyed in which case I apologise perfusely!

Mike Carroll

And speaking of books... How'd you like to win set of excellent Judge Dredd books -- including a copy of the Year Three omnibus which isn't even published yet? I'll even sign them for the winner, if desired!

Check out The Great Rusty Staples 2021 Calendar British Comics' Logo Identification Competition!

(Even if you don't want to enter, please share this post so that others will have a chance!)

Cheers,
Mike

TordelBack

Fantastic competition Mr. C., suffering nostalgia overload as I work through it...

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 December, 2020, 04:12:12 PM
Fantastic competition Mr. C., suffering nostalgia overload as I work through it...

Down to one last holdout now, but not making any progress with it!

Bolt-01

And the calendar itself is genius! I've printed it for my wall calendar in my cubbyhole office!

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 31 December, 2020, 09:24:38 AM
And the calendar itself is genius! I've printed it for my wall calendar in my cubbyhole office!

Well if you've already got any plans made for AUGUST for the love of Grud let me know.

Mike Carroll

Hope the Rusty Staples competition has been an enjoyable escapade (or quest, or undertaking) for everyone!

Only ten minutes left to get your answers in!

-- Mike

TordelBack

Phew, just in under the wire, although at least one is a pure guess, and others looser than I'd like.

But that's beside the point - that was great fun Mike, you had the missus and I spending every spare minute  wracking our brains/google and trawling blogs since yesterday. Learnt more about British comics in 24 hours than either of us knew before, and wondered at your extrapolations of logo styles. Many thanks!

broodblik

Thanks for this but I tough I had time until midnight (for some reason noon sounds like midnight to me)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mike Carroll

It's all over now... many thanks to everyone who participated, and congrats to the winner: Mark Waldron!

You can find all the correct answers on the latest blog-post!

-- Mike

Bad City Blue

The first full colour Sentinel is a lovely little thing.

Great 5 issues in it's first year, more to come.

If you haven't discovered it yet, you really should! www.facebook.com/thesentinelcomic

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Andrew_J

Just finished reading Neuromancer. I'm late to the party I know but if one good thing has come from all the Cyberpunk 2077 hype before Christmas, it's the fact that I finally made the point of picking it up and reading it.
Hard to believe it was written 36 years ago. The scenes in "the matrix" are amazingly visual and graphical as described by Gibson. I was visualising them as drawn by INJ Culbard, with the exaggerated perspective model style he is so good at.

von Boom

Quote from: Andrew_J on 06 January, 2021, 06:01:49 PM
Just finished reading Neuromancer. I'm late to the party I know but if one good thing has come from all the Cyberpunk 2077 hype before Christmas, it's the fact that I finally made the point of picking it up and reading it.
Hard to believe it was written 36 years ago. The scenes in "the matrix" are amazingly visual and graphical as described by Gibson. I was visualising them as drawn by INJ Culbard, with the exaggerated perspective model style he is so good at.
You're making me feel very old. I read it in 1984 and several times since. Always a treat.

pictsy

Quote from: von Boom on 06 January, 2021, 09:13:34 PM
You're making me feel very old. I read it in 1984 and several times since. Always a treat.

Agreed, it's a fun book.  I remember enjoying Count Zero more.  Virtual Light from Gibson's Bridge trilogy (that I read for the first time last year) was an absolute delight as well.  I'd like to revisit the Sprawl trilogy relatively soon but I'm still working through Foundation+ and I'll need a break after finishing all 14 books.

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 06 January, 2021, 11:39:24 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 06 January, 2021, 09:13:34 PM

Agreed, it's a fun book.  I remember enjoying Count Zero more.  Virtual Light from Gibson's Bridge trilogy (that I read for the first time last year) was an absolute delight as well.  I'd like to revisit the Sprawl trilogy relatively soon but I'm still working through Foundation+ and I'll need a break after finishing all 14 books.
Count Zero is indeed the best book of the Sprawl trilogy. I've only just finished Foundation and am on to Foundation and Empire.