Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

ming

As far as sports films go, I have a soft spot for The Club...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/22/retro-film-review-the-club-is-an-australian-classic

Also: the Norwegian title for Cool Runnings is Kalde Rumper (cold buttocks); not quite up there with the titles  used for The Shining (Hotel of Evil) or Deliverance (Picnic with Death) but still pretty good.

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pictsy on 05 February, 2021, 09:13:49 AM
Quote from: Smith on 05 February, 2021, 07:30:05 AM
The Replacements. Probably the second greatest sports movie ever.

What's the greatest?

It's fucking well GREGORY'S GIRL and you philistines know it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Rara Avis

Funt Solo

JON-A-THAN!

JON-A-THAN!

JON-A-THAN!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 February, 2021, 05:15:52 PM
JON-A-THAN!

JON-A-THAN!

JON-A-THAN!

Good shout. Though i did geg a bit bored last time I saw the original and haven't seen the remakre. Either way, it's still no GREGORY'S GIRL.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Yeah I was wondering about Rollerball having recently rewatch Westworld and finding that held up I had a nosey for this but alas these days resist paying for movies instead wait for them to come around on a free service.

In my minds year this is the best sports film but not seen it for years so don't know if it hold up.

I watch about 30 minutes of the remake and it was more like Rollerballs so went to bed.

Funt Solo

Yeah, I just won't watch the remake because (like Robocop - Robocock, more like!) there's really no reason to.

Rollerball does have some dull bits, but (for me) the action sequences really are something to behold. All the mumbling bits between matches have always been difficult to digest.

Good call with Gregory's Girl - I still count "one elephant, two elephant..." because of that.

---

Editing in others for your consideration:
- The Hunt
- Point Break
- Whip It
- Moneyball
- Lords of Dogtown
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Are we still talking Sports Films?

I lost track a page or two back.

Smith

I love Point Break,but its not a sports movie.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Smith on 05 February, 2021, 06:23:26 PM
I love Point Break,but its not a sports movie.

Unless you count olympic smouldering between Keanu and Swayze.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Does Salute of the Jugger count? If so, Salute of the Jugger.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 February, 2021, 05:48:28 PM
Yeah I was wondering about Rollerball having recently rewatch Westworld and finding that held up I had a nosey for this but alas these days resist paying for movies instead wait for them to come around on a free service.

In my minds year this is the best sports film but not seen it for years so don't know if it hold up.

I watch about 30 minutes of the remake and it was more like Rollerballs so went to bed.

Only watched it once about 35 years ago, and all I can remember is some dude setting a tree on fire at a party. Am I hallucinating that?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 February, 2021, 06:44:14 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 February, 2021, 05:48:28 PM

Only watched it once about 35 years ago, and all I can remember is some dude setting a tree on fire at a party. Am I hallucinating that?

No - that happened. In order to demonstrate the vacuity of a bought-in life of leisure, we witness depraved party-goers shooting some kind of plasma laser pistol at the trees and torching them, to the hilarity of everyone except our hero.

He is realizing that he can't be bought off because nothing they can give him is of any real worth - which gives him the motivation to fight on against the corporate hegemony.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++