Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Finished off The Peripheral on Prime, which chewed through plot at such a rate in the later episodes that it felt oddly unsatisfying by its conclusion. Definitely worth watching but, frustratingly, could probably have done with another couple of episodes to fix the pacing.

Also recently finished watching Warrior Nun S2 on Netflix. As with S1, this continues to be Buffy-esque tosh elevated by some fairly ravishing Spanish location work. A bigger budget yields better FX work and a decent number of well-staged action set-pieces, and the introduction of a proper villain gives the story more focus. It suffers somewhat from the protagonist's evil counterpart being more interesting and cooler than the titular Warrior Nun herself, but it's entertaining enough.

Next up on the viewing schedule is Slow Horses S2 on Apple TV+, which I'm looking forward to immensely.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 December, 2022, 08:46:31 AM
Next up on the viewing schedule is Slow Horses S2 on Apple TV+, which I'm looking forward to immensely.

Happy to report that the series opener is terrific. If you have access to AppleTV+ and you haven't caught this yet, go back and watch the whole of S1 then get stuck into this. Sleazy, grimy, Le Carre-ish espionage stuff that's just fantastic.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

The worst thing about adopting streaming as your main telly access is that you often miss some terrestrial gems - thus I am lamenting the fact I missed the new Inside No.9 Christmas special last night - I had no idea it was on.
No BBC iPlayer option for the Murphyville cits either.

Anyway, in case any of ye miss it; a new Ghost Story for Christmas is airing tonight on BBC2 at 10.00pm:
M.R. James' Count Magnus, adopted by probable Squaxx dek Thargo, Mark Gatiss.
Winter spiced porter at the ready, gentelmen.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 23 December, 2022, 08:49:51 AM
Anyway, in case any of ye miss it; a new Ghost Story for Christmas is airing tonight on BBC2 at 10.00pm:
M.R. James' Count Magnus, adopted by probable Squaxx dek Thargo, Mark Gatiss.
Winter spiced porter at the ready, gentelmen.

I have very much been enjoying the latest crop of Ghost Stories for Christmas, a genuine triumph in low key event television feeling truly in the spirit(s) of the original run from Lawrence Gordon Clark.
For those interested, BFI just started remastering those earlier specials in lovely HD, the transfer for The Stalls of Barchester in particular is a thing of beauty.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 December, 2022, 03:10:00 PM

For those interested, BFI just started remastering those earlier specials in lovely HD, the transfer for The Stalls of Barchester in particular is a thing of beauty.

I picked up a copy of that pre-Chrstmas, Hawk. An essential purchase.

The Stalls of Barchester is indeed a highlight - doesn't waste one single second of it's exquisite screen time, and now it's never looked better.

The Legendary Shark

The last of Us is impressing me at the moment. It's The girl with all the Gifts crossbred with The Walking Dead with Pedro Pascal thrown in for good measure. This week, a really rather touching love story with little of the overarching plot shown, which I thought was pretty bold and pretty refreshing for the third episode of a first season. Enjoying it.

Wait... it's based on a what?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richmond Clements

Oh! Didn't spot that! Nice one.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm enjoying The Gold on BBC. Not sure how accurate it is, historically, but it's an easy watch.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Superman & Lois is back for season three. It's okay, but the thing that's vexing me is this...

He's unshaven and grubby. Superman shouldn't be unshaven and grubby. Superman should be shaven and clean. Like this
Or am I being too old fashioned?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

I couldn't get past the first few episodes of that - too much cliched teen high school drama for my tastes

The Legendary Shark

It's not my favourite program but it's still orders of magnitude better than the Eastenders or Coronation Streets or Big Brothers of this culturally retarded world. Low bar, I know, but if it wasn't for things like this I'd be forced to do more writing to pass the time - and nobody wants that...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

There was a day when the idea that I wouldn't watch a TV show about a superhero, however bad it was,  (or pretty much anything sci-fi) would be ludicrous - I religiously watched Nick Hammond's Spider-Man and Lou Ferigno's Hulk, and marveled when Christopher Reeve finally 'got it right', but nowadays?

I still haven't seen Joker or Pattinson's Batman, and I really don't care who they try as the next Superman. That would have seemed absurd when I was in my 30s, let alone when I was a kid, but there's just so much frigging CONTENT out there now, I can't be arsed with endless reboots of the same story (but I get pissed when they change the story to make it 'fresh' too)

It's sadly become the same economic model as the comics industry - spin-off, monetise, crossover, merchandise, exploit every angle. Still, didn't stop me reading the comics throughout, so no reason to expect I'm going to give up sucking at the teat anytime soon! I balked at taking out a Disney+ sub, but my nephew gave me his login and ever since I've been binging all the Marvel shows.

Dandontdare

and the last 3 seasons of Bob's Burgers ... and The Orville

The Legendary Shark

There really are oceans of content out there these days, mostly dross but with more than a few diamonds worth digging for. I remember watching Smallville and Lois and Clark and being mostly impatient to get to the superhero stuff after wading through 3/4 of an episode with nothing exciting going on. Lou Ferrigno's Hulk was the same - I (in my memory, at least) had to wade through lots of nothing much before getting to the last five or six minutes of Big Green Smashiness. At least with these new shows sfx have evolved to the point where the superhero stuff isn't just the slightly dodgy treat at the end.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]