Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - QUARTERS - Carlos Ezquerra or Kev O’Neill

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2021, 06:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

credo

It's telling that the only negative i can come up with for Ezquerra is that he couldn't draw Feral.

Magnetica

Quote from: credo on 28 January, 2021, 12:13:04 PM
It's telling that the only negative i can come up with for Ezquerra is that he couldn't draw Feral.

I've always though he wouldn't have been able to do Slaine either. And IMO that's borne out by the scenes with the historic Vikings being amongst the weakest he has ever done. But it's a style thing not a quality thing. Not sure Kev could have done Slaine either.

Anyway looking for weakness in either is like the damage that happens to a train travelling at 100 MPH when a fly hits it 😉.

JayzusB.Christ

While it kills me to vote against one of the best we'll ever have, Kev O'Neill wins it for a style that was like nothing before or since (except for Henry's homage on the last Nemesis book, of course).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

ming

Quote from: broodblik on 28 January, 2021, 01:28:48 PM
Vote for me or mister nice guy below will get you:

I'm surprised you didn't use an actual Kev O'Neill image to illustrate your point but hey :lol:

shaolin_monkey

skurvy

I was going to say Kevin O'Neill and then you posted that. Carlos.

Huey2

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

AlexF

Been ruminating on this one all day. I've been given to one-word answers to these artist polls lately because it's so much about personal taste - but this choice seems different. They're just objectively great artists, aren't they?

O'Neill was one of the key gateway drugs into 2000AD for me. He's also an artist who has, to an extent, shifted styles a couple of times across the decades. His early stuff is kinda shonky, and his later stuff is a bit too sedate. But his mid-period stuff - THAT stuff is literal nightmare/dream fuel. It's operating on the level of best comics art all time ever.

Ezquerra meanwhile has been about the most consistent artist, certainly from his 2000AD/Starlord days on. And it's worth noting that his consistency includes being among the very best storyteller and character/world designers ever. But he's not my favourite at drawing characters created by other artists, which he's had to do a bunch with Dredd villains.

Ultimately I guess it's between who produced the most high points, and who the highest high points.
And for that, I'm voting Kev O'Neill.

broodblik

Quote from: ming on 28 January, 2021, 02:02:24 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 28 January, 2021, 01:28:48 PM
Vote for me or mister nice guy below will get you:

I'm surprised you didn't use an actual Kev O'Neill image to illustrate your point but hey :lol:

Let's fix this - Vote O'Neill or your dreams will be invaded by just gentle soul:

Southstreeter

It has to be Carlos. I'll read pretty much anything he illustrates, and there are very few artists I'd say that about. His death saddened me greatly, more than for other creators that have passed in recent years. I always felt a sense of occasion when he did a Dredd, a feeling that this story meant more (even if it was a throwaway one off). And who doesn't love an Ezquerra lady?

Kev I admire more than love. His stuff is great, but often a bit too spiky for my liking.

Andrew_J

Kevin O'Neill has always stunned and entertained. He's a unique talent, has been from the start. I've always gotten a thrill from turning the pages of his work. Nemesis, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Marshall Law; spinetingling stuff. Nevermind the fact that he set the visual agenda for the prog from the start.

BUT

Carlos's work just has the feels. Its alive. Blood flows in his characters. Its Carlos Ezquerra for me.