Main Menu

Boo Cook or Kev O’Neill - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 May, 2021, 06:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Aliens, you want aliens - these two give you aliens and then some.

Kev O'Neill didn't get past the Quarter Finals in the Classic Tourney, but then that is very probably due to the fact he drew Carlos there and so we'll never know quite how well he'd have done in other circumstances. His victory in the Festive Fronts tourney possibly gives a clearer indication of how highly he is regarded.

Boo Cook was knocked out in the first round of the Current Artist tourney and he's not got an easy tie here at all. Can he pull off one of the shocks of this or any other tourney?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Boo Cook - more info

Or

Kev O'Neill - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends bright and breezy Sunday 9th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

TordelBack

Boo Cook is an intetesting one for me - he's a compete original, and I loved his work on Damnation Station, Gunheadz and the much-missed Harry Kipling, but then gradually fell out of love with it on Anderson and Dredd, thinking his style didn't really suit those strips. Lately however I've come full circle, with his energised work on Blunt and his later Dredds really appealing.

Kevin O'Neill however I have loved utterly since I first set eyes on a single panel of his. In contention for my favourite comics artist of all time, and even though his 2000AD work is a surprisingly small part of his opus, it is among the very best art the comic has ever hosted. Coincidentally I'm in the middle of a Nemesis re-read at the moment, and every page is genuinely breathtaking.

It's a tough match.

Boo 1 : 4 Kev.

BPP

Damm son, Boo I feel sorry for you as your colours are sublime but it's Kev O-my-gosh-Neill

4-1 to the old Skool.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

I'm a big fan of Boo's work, having mostly seen it on Dredd, Anderson and the stupendous Ultimate Collection spine art. But Kevin co-created Nemesis...

Got to go with my initial thoughts here so Boo Cook 3,Kevin O'Neill 2.

AlexF

Hard ot imagine two artists who better represent the school of 'I'm drawing this my own way and it's not like anybody else's, AT ALL.'
But, you, know, Kev o'Neill just is better at it, even if his more recent style is one I like less than Cook's. It's also not Cook's fault that O'Neill co-created and rew the heck out of my fave series ever, while he's been lumbered with some pretty consistently midcard thrills. (I think Gunheadz might be the only genuinely top-tier thrill he's done)
Still, his colours go a LONG way, so it's O'Neill:3, Cook:2 in my view.

Tomwe

Magnetica

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 May, 2021, 08:07:31 AM
Boo Cook 0 : 5 Kev O'Neill.

Just to add a bit of commentary.

Whilst Boo is technically brilliant I'm afraid I have never really warmed to his art. I find it "too cartoony" for Dredd and Anderson and Blunt is not one my favourite series, to say the least.

On the other hand, Kev O'Neill is an unquestioned 2000AD legend. His work on Nemesis is undoubtedly in the very top echelon of what Tharg has ever printed; then thrown in Ro-Busters and ABC Warriors and he is going to be hard to beat.

paddykafka

JayzusB.Christ

I'm so sorry, Boo.  You're incredible but you're up against the artist that epitomised 2000ad at its apex.  It's not fair but it's luck of the draw and sometimes life's a bitch.

Kev 5, Boo 0.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DrJomster

I have to say that it's tough going up against Mr O'Neill... and I do really love some of Boo's cover work in particular, but in this case I doff my cap in Kev's direction and award 4 points!

Kev 4 Boo 1
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.