Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Bonjo vs Shadows Rd 1 Heat 58

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 December, 2021, 06:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Shadows
Ahead of its time: a cyberpunk thriller cross between Johnny Mnemonic and The Net (both from 1995), with a climactic nod towards The Matrix (1999), as Nina (an elite member of a heirarchical future society) loses her status and becomes a shadow-person.

Bonjo From Beyond the Stars
A fairly harmless (although also casually racist), partial page strip about a moronic alien.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

I have no recollection of Shadows and I not sure if I've ever read Bonjo.

Neither it is then!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 December, 2021, 07:02:54 PM
Shadows
Ahead of its time: a cyberpunk thriller cross between Johnny Mnemonic and The Net (both from 1995), with a climactic nod towards The Matrix (1999), as Nina (an elite member of a heirarchical future society) loses her status and becomes a shadow-person.

William Gibson's original short story of 'Johnny Mnemonic' was published in 1981 & reprinted in his 1986 collection Burning Chrome, which was around the time of peak cyberpunk. As Arthur C. Clarke observed, science fiction cinema lags a generation behind the literature.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Blue Cactus

I was saying recently in the Ultimate Collection thread that I keep waiting for a reprint of Shadows because I've never read it. So I'm going to vote Shadows because I'm if it keeps getting mentioned Tharg will eventually do the right thing.

Funt Solo

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 14 December, 2021, 06:58:28 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 December, 2021, 07:02:54 PM
Shadows

William Gibson's original short story of 'Johnny Mnemonic' was published in 1981 & reprinted in his 1986 collection Burning Chrome, which was around the time of peak cyberpunk. As Arthur C. Clarke observed, science fiction cinema lags a generation behind the literature.

Thanks, Stevie. My cyberpunk lore is weak. I'll re-write my blurb.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Colin YNWA

This one had an even start and then BANG one thrill seems to have stormed ahead. Last chance to vote today and I'll count up in the morning.

I, Cosh

Haven't read it for a very long time but I remember absolutely loving Shadows. An unnecessary TS Eliot reference works wonders for appealing to pretentious teenagers. I assume that's why Ian Edginton is using the same one in the new series of Kingmaker.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

There were a few votes for Bojo, and at least one focuses on Kev O'Neill's art. But Shadows clearly is one of the fondly remembered early done and gone stories and for good reason. It was ahead of it time and yet still relevent today and

Shadows

Identies as a contender in Round 2

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 December, 2021, 06:29:40 AM
VOTING CLOSED

There were a few votes for Bojo...

Enough to get him into No 10, certainlly. But how did Bonjo do...?
@jamesfeistdraws