Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Cradlegrave vs. Scarlet Traces Round 2 Heat 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 January, 2022, 06:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

First really, really tough draw for me here. Both of these are fantastic thrills - Cradlegrave is Hammer House of  Shameless and Scarlet Traces is a highly appealing League of Extraordinary Popcorn.

If I was voting for what I want to re-read or read more of, it'd be Scarlet Traces. If I was voting for a purer originality and a genuine feeling of horror it would be Cradlegrave.

Cradlegrave
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

Cradlegrave is a great one-off. I've never really got the love for Scarlet Traces. I liked the first series (which I think wasn't in the prog?) but since then have struggled to engage with it. I'm not sure I might have missed a series somewhere along the way (was there another one that wasn't in the prog?), and whenever a supposedly long running character returns I'm just scratching my head as to who they are.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Southstreeter on 25 January, 2022, 06:20:09 PM
Cradlegrave is a great one-off. I've never really got the love for Scarlet Traces. I liked the first series (which I think wasn't in the prog?) but since then have struggled to engage with it. I'm not sure I might have missed a series somewhere along the way (was there another one that wasn't in the prog?), and whenever a supposedly long running character returns I'm just scratching my head as to who they are.

Scarlet Traces listing for you.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 January, 2022, 06:23:17 PM

adding to this you can get the first volume of the series which contains all the stories which was not originally published in the prog:

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB621/scarlet-traces-volume-01
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

CalHab

Cradlegrave. Scarlet Traces is great, but Cradlegrave stands out as a unique and outstanding story in the prog's history.

Southstreeter

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 January, 2022, 06:23:17 PM

Thanks. Think I missed The Great Game, which seems to have far more to do with recent series in the prog than the original two that I did read at the time.

Funt Solo

I loved The Great Game - I picked it up on a rare visit to Londinium's Forbidden Planet, without knowing in advance that it existed. A happy day.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

As might be expected its going to be close this one. I think Cradlegrave has the slight edge so far. This final day of voting could change all that. If you've not already get um in today and I'll count up in the morning.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sintec

Just a week and a bit ago I was looking forward to round 2 and some draws where I'd read more than one of the thrills. Well I guess I should be careful what I wish for as now I'm landed with this stinker of a choice.

I love both these thrills and for entirely different reasons. Scarlet Traces is a grand intergalactic tale with world shattering events. Cradlegrave is a claustrophobic journey to the dark heart of suburbia. D'Israeli's art on ST is bright, innovative and experimental where Cradlegrave is more muted with a sense of realisim and grime. There both brilliant in their own rights.

gaaaaah I was hoping waffling for a while might lead me into a decision.....

Cradlegrave takes it by the narrowest of margins.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This one is tough. There was of course a lot of love for both of these thrills and the loser equalled the number of votes for a losing thrill. In the end this is what Round 2 will prepare us for as more and more of the votes become like this as the tounrey goes on. Accepting that in getting to the favourite thrill we will have to let some great thrills go. In this one it was always close but John Smith classic always, just kept ahead of the Great Game. Maybe it has the advantage of being a 'short' story and therefore a clear, defined beginning, middle and end. While the wonderful Scarlet Traces seems like an epic that has no end in sight. In the end though we need to salute

Cradlegrave

as it keeps pur eyes glued to Round 3