Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Thistlebone vs. Invasion Rd 3 Heat 48

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 June, 2022, 06:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

You'd be hard pressed to get two more different thrills.

Invasion is very much classic early 2000AD. But I wasn't reading it then, and so it doesn't have the protection of nostalgia for me. I only read it years later in an Extreme edition. And I think that wasn't complete. I bought a (more?) complete version in a recent digital sale, but haven't read any more than about 3 episodes. As Alex says, it's not something you can read a whole load of episodes in one sitting. And here's the thing: it's actually not that good.

Thistlebone is the polar opposite. It's doesn't read well week to week. It's absolutely made to read in one sitting. And when you do, you don't mind that not much happens in any given 5 pages. It's not about that. It's much more atmospheric. And you no longer wonder who the bloke with the white beard and a pint of bitter is who appeared in two panels 5 weeks ago.

So very much a modern 2000AD thrill. Not sure if "modern classic" is too much.

Overall Thistlebone takes it.

sintec

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 June, 2022, 03:30:45 PM
Savage (before it became him guest-starring in the proto-Ro-Busters, at any rate) was better than Invasion.

Yeah in a Savage vs Invasion tie I'd definitely be voting Savage.

That's not the tie we've got though and in this one I'll be voting Thistlebone.

Blue Cactus

Agree with some posters above. Invasion is a key early 2000ad concept but the individual episodes aren't that great. I read them all for the first time in the Ultimate Collection and it was a bit of a slog.

Thistlebone I quite like. Need to read it all in one go I think but it looks great (although personally I wasn't keen on the more cartoony style used for the scout camp flashbacks), has tremendous atmosphere and some great creepy moments. Don't think it would have gone down well in the initial 2000ad lineup! But I'm enjoying having it around in the present day.

Thistlebone

Rogue Judge

Invasion. I don't "get" Thistlebone, then again, not really one for the horror genre.

Colin YNWA

Seems pretty clear that nostaglia will not win the day here. I'll wrap up the week tomorrow, you can still vote today.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Nostalgia couldn't rally too much resistance here. The same has been seen a number of times as Prog 1 thrills have been falling aside. Only Harlem Heroes remains - with MACH 1 still to come. Here a modern classic in the making sweep the voting country and only meeting pockets of fighting back from shooter (and duck) wielding rebels.

Thistlebones

will be seen at the edge of your perspection in Round 4.