Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Link Prime

Roll 1D20 for that promo poster for 'Honor Among Thieves'.  :lol:

Barrington Boots

The recent uproar over the D&D OGL is starting to look like it could torpedo the film amongst the fanbase, and I suspect it's not going to find much acclaim outside of that, so this seems an unusually timed move from WotC.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tiplodocus

I still don't get why we can't get a Conan series.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 January, 2023, 10:46:33 AM
The recent uproar over the D&D OGL is starting to look like it could torpedo the film amongst the fanbase, and I suspect it's not going to find much acclaim outside of that, so this seems an unusually timed move from WotC.
Amongst that proportion of the fanbase that both knows and cares about the OGL, anyway.

nxylas

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 January, 2023, 11:40:30 AM
I believe the most recent Conan movie flopped at the box office. That might have something to do with it.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Barrington Boots

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 January, 2023, 01:56:18 PM
Amongst that proportion of the fanbase that both knows and cares about the OGL, anyway.

True. I've seen a lot of discussion about a boycott, but that may be from a fairly narrow subsection of the fanbase. I think WotC / Hasbro have earned themselves a ton of bad faith on this one.

As to a D&D TV series, I'd be optimistic (and I think this sort of thing is the way to go, as opposed to the OGL stuff for them to make more ££ off the brand) but it really depends how things are presented, what kind of audience it's targeted at and the tone used for it. The film trailer looks pretty bad, although I'm pretty excited to see iconic monsters onscreen, and the studio doesn't seem to have much faith in it either, so I'm not hopeful. If the series is the same I could see it being something like the Shannara series, which was terrible.

Quote from: nxylas on 11 January, 2023, 02:43:58 PM
I believe the most recent Conan movie flopped at the box office. That might have something to do with it.
Pretty sure this is the reason. I don't actually think Conan is a valuable IP in terms of market reach.
Conan is also something that can also vary wildly in tone - something true to the books could be quite bloody, sexy and brutal but I think any pitch for a series would be more likely to be super generic and more like Xena or Hercules with an unrecognisable Conan having adventurers with a wisecracking sidekick. Crom, how bad does that sound?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

To be honest, I remain vaguely baffled as to why, post-LotR when every studio was looking for a massive fantasy franchise, and post-GoT, when every TV company/streamer was looking for a massive fantasy franchise, none of the rumoured Elric developments ever got to anything more solid than rumours.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm scared to Google it... what's OGL?
Lock up your spoons!

Robin Low

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 January, 2023, 07:02:00 PM
I'm scared to Google it... what's OGL?

Open Gaming License.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License

If you're not in the hobby, it probably won't be of great interest.

Regards,

Robin

Tiplodocus

Quote from: nxylas on 11 January, 2023, 02:43:58 PM

Yes indeed. Playing fantasy football though, Game of thrones sex and violence, Andor's tone and storytelling (tell the story of the people he meets through him) and you have a winner!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!