Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Dracula returns!
If this grail page image by Vincenzo Riccardi doesn't make you want to buy the special then nothing will.

Eamonn Clarke

Max Lieberman joins the book club to discuss the facts in the strange case of Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows' Providence.

Content note: in this episode we discuss the difficult subject of sexual violence in Moore's comics, and H.P.Lovecraft's racist opinions.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/11/136-providence.html

Eamonn Clarke

And a train carriage full of some of the characters from the pages of Lovecraft and providence.
Art Jacen Burrows

Eamonn Clarke

The Christmas Raffle
Ten zarjaz prizes
£2 a ticket and all goes straight to Cancer Research UK
Don't add gift aid as you are getting a ticket (their rule not mine)
And pretty please tick the box that allows me to contact you if you win.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/megacitybookclub

1.   Batman Dredd collection signed by John Wagner, Mike Mignola, Glenn Fabry, Simon Bisley & Alan Grant
2.   America Lost and Found hardback signed by John Wagner
3.   Mega City Undercover volume 1 signed by Jock, Andy Diggle, Rob Williams and Henry Flint
4.   Batman Dredd collection signed by Mike Mignola
5.   The complete ArtNineTwo package
6.   Dan Cornwell Dredd sketch
7.   PJ Holden Dredd sketch
8.   Tulay Lotay Judge Anderson print
9.   Cam Kennedy prints set
10.   Ultimate collection seventies covers book

Draw is sunday 13th, entries close midnight on the 12th December

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/12/137-xmas-raffle.html

Bolt-01

Eamonn Clarke

The anonymous entries are doing my head in.  :'(
Please screenshot your donation receipt and email it to me at MCBCpodcast@gmail.com so I can identify you for the draw.

Eamonn Clarke

OK it turns out that if you are not signed into Justgiving itself then even ticking the email box still means it shows up as an anonymous donation with the email recorded as guestcheckout@justgiving.com

So pretty please email me those donation receipts to MCBCpodcast@gmail.com to make sure i have your contact details for the raffle.

Apologies, my bad

Eamonn Clarke

Normal service is resumed as the Pete Wells droid is back to take me through the two new releases of America. We discuss the context provided by the Essentials version, and the insight into the creative process in John Wagner's scripts in the Lost and Found hardback.

Listen in your podcast app or at:
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/12/138-america-lost-and-found.html

Eamonn Clarke

And when the Pete Wells droid picks a grail page he goes big, or he goes home.

Now about that horse, Pete?

Colin YNWA

Listening to this reminded me of a discussion on Drokk! (or it might have been Wait What?) actually as to what purpose the Essential Collection were serving. They observed that Case Files 1 was still (apparently) the biggest seller Rebelliin have and alas the content isn't that good and is interesting to the fan as a way of presenting the development of the series. It might actually put off new readers progressing as its not aged that well.

They guessed that the 'Essentials' will be there to sit along side Case Files 1, or indeed instead of, so that you got a sense of what Dredd became / is, not what he was when developing.

If you did pick up this and Case Files one I can image in it'd create a real interest in how the series got from there to here and might encourage folks to delve deeper.

As Eammon speculates some to get folks hooked at conventions and such, but also for book shop selves as an alternative to the perennial Case Files 1.

Eamonn Clarke

Julius Howe is back in the book club to talk conspiracy theories and the mind altering experiences of Grant Morrison as we start with book one of The Invisibles.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/11/139-invisibles.html

Leigh S

Working my way through them  - interested to hear more about "Providence", which I never took the plunge on.  Not sure after listening if that was a bullet dodged or whetted my appetite for it even more - that choice is pretty much taken from me while it remains out of print. 

One thing, without wanting to have to go all Spike Lee retraction tomorrow, is Woody Allen an appropriate figure to invoke? He seems less a Roman Polanski figure than a Johnny Depp figure - certinly he isnt a Warren Ellis figure - not a single actress has come forward during his career to accuse him of any inappropriate behaviour, and given he has a career that spans the 60s and 70s that is something.  I know Ronan Farrow has made a point of keeping heat on the man, but I've yet to be convinced there is an actual fire rather than the smoke of the fall out of his relationships with Farrow/Soon Yi  and accusations made 30 years ago that were never prosecuted for and at the time were dismissed/discredited when brought up in the Divorce?   

Not that I'm a fan of the man or his films, but I do get a bit twitchy regards Allen's lumping in with known serial and convicted predators - (un)happy to be proved wrong on this if anyone can point me to what I am missing? Feel a bit trial by Public opinion raather than actual facts, unless I've overlooked said facts?)

Anyway, on a happier note, have a couple more to catch up on to keep me company tomorrow - keep up the good work!