Main Menu

DC to relaunch with 52 #1's

Started by briantm, 01 June, 2011, 02:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I apologise for saying that the current Wonder Woman is just a big-boobed wrestler whose only importance is to prove Superman's not a virgin.
Her boobs are only relatively big.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 February, 2015, 07:50:39 AMMind I've always struggled why people seem to think Wonder Woman is such a difficult character etc etc

I've only really heard this about Wonder Woman from JMS, and he said much the same thing about Superman and Spider-Man when he came to those properties to do that thing where he starts with a round of PR where he slags off what current or past writers are doing, says he knows better, then opens his run with an interesting idea someone else had for the character in the mid-90s, takes a huff with criticism, then fucks off leaving the work to be finished by someone else.
Stan Lee reckons there's no such thing as an inherently poor character (but then he has to say that as he created most of them), just poor writers.

Professor Bear

Good news for lapsed readers who thought DC's titles weren't worth investing in because they rebooted all the time: DC have listened to your concerns and have decided to fix their superhero line by rebooting it again.

Sooo... yeah, that whole New 52 thing was definitely worth everyone's time.

Colin YNWA

Much as Nu52 might have been a big part in killing me off as a DC Fanboy and much as the knives are out now DC have accepted its all going a bit wonky and they need to try it all again, I also think its important to remember that DC's Nu52 really did start the pull that dragged comics out of a bit of a mire.

For 3 or 4 years DC's numbers were well and truly up. They really did get a medium term boost from all this, long term, well okay after 5 years the shine has worn off, but for a good period of time it did its job. Its also seen Marvel pushed to up their game and though it took them a couple of rolls of the dice they got there in the end (well and got the Star Wars Franchise which was really just a licence for Disney to print money like it was to be used only in Disneyland). While all this was going on and the market as a whole was very bouyant Image really got their act together and kicked some ass and provide a real alternative (alas they seem to have done Vertigo near fatal harm by doing so). So comics sales are still up overall, in hardcopy according to those monthly top 300 things, and I'd guess digital sales are adding extra to those increases unrecorded in the background.

Yeah its pretty easy to giggle away at the back thinking DC failed and look a bit silly for the Nu52 BUT just cos they do seem to look a bit silly now I strongly suspect that the entire industry in the US and associated markets is quite grateful for what they did.

Professor Bear

Image are certainly grateful for DC's decisions.

I suspect that the success of the MCU and The Walking Dead has slightly more to do with any resurgence in the comic book market in the last five years than a bunch of titles about to get rebooted (some of which - Nightwing, Supergirl, Teen Titans, Batgirl, Hawkman - have already been rebooted since the last reboot).

Hawkmumbler

DC broke my heart in 2012 and out me off superhero's for years. Only in the last 8 months have I got into creator owned and indi cape comics, like Invincible, Savage Dragon, Nexus and Jack Staff and they are all of a considerably higher wuality than anying ghe Nu52 had to offer.

JamesC

I just hope they don't let Jim Lee redesign the costumes again!

Link Prime

I've read Snyder & Capullo's (generally) very good Batman all through the Nu52 run, due to wrap up shortly with issue 51.
I'm using this as an excuse to bail out on my one remaining 'standard' monthly superhero comic.
The idea that most of the core DC books after Rebirth will be fortnightly is a major put-off too, all it means for me is that I won't even bother trying any of them, even if I like the creative team.

Still reading a little DC though- the DKIII hardback editions are gorgeous, and two Vertigo books have managed to make it past the surly bouncer onto my pull list; the excellent Unfollow, and the promising new volume of Lucifer.