Main Menu

Marvel "Ultimate Graphic Novels" Collection (As seen on TV!!!)

Started by Alski, 30 December, 2011, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

It's fortnightly in the newsagents and a monthly delivery if you have it delivered. I know it's not a great deal but as I've not any exposure to Marvel and really think I should, I've signed up for now. It's fairly passive to allow someone to send me what they consider to be 'the best' each month. If I find them building up unread or stop enjoying them I'll cancel. I've just paid off a credit card too so I can pretend they cost me nothing as they take the pace of the card bill :)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Lee Bates on 04 January, 2012, 09:41:10 AMI think it's fortnightly. 20 quid a month for what works out to be 10 issues of reprint material which you may or may not want. Simple mathematics rules this out as a terrible investment.
The books are quite... thin, aren't they? It'd make more sense to buy two of the Essential collections every month, which'd give you about 1000 pages of classic Marvel.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 January, 2012, 11:54:17 AM
The books are quite... thin, aren't they? It'd make more sense to buy two of the Essential collections every month, which'd give you about 1000 pages of classic Marvel.

If only Marvel would keep the bloody things in print!

Mardroid

Quote from: Lee Bates on 04 January, 2012, 09:41:10 AM
I think it's fortnightly. 20 quid a month for what works out to be 10 issues of reprint material which you may or may not want. Simple mathematics rules this out as a terrible investment.

I haven't read much of it so 'reprint' or not it's largely first time for me. (I think I have read The Dark Phoenix saga a while back but it's still a book I'm happy to own.)

I agree concerning the price though... if I continue beyond the first couple of months. My plan is to get the first two deliveries then cancel the subscription. If I've worked this out correctly that means I'm getting three hardback GNs, a DVD and a mug for £9.98. (i.e. Cost of first issue + Cost of next issue = 2.99+ 6.99). Bearing in mind, my third issue (which comes together with the second delivery) is a freebie with subscription.

radiator

James Stacey

SmallBlueThing

According the the website, after the Dark Phoenix saga and Iron Man: Extremis, we have The Ultimates Superhuman (which is the first six issues of The Ultimates), then Spider-Man: The Birth of Venom (ASM 252, 256-259, 300 & WoSM 1) and then Thor: Reborn (volume 3, 1-6)

SBT

Spaceghost

I got the first issue and it's a lovely book for 3 quid. Haven't read it yet though.

Also, the number on the spine is 22 so they're obviously releasing them out of sequence. That's to further ensnare the anally retentive collector who won't be able to stop at any given moment and have a complete run up to that point.

You'll have to get every single one or THE SPINES WON'T LINE UP FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

James Stacey

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 08 January, 2012, 04:47:52 PM
According the the website, after the Dark Phoenix saga and Iron Man: Extremis, we have The Ultimates Superhuman (which is the first six issues of The Ultimates), then Spider-Man: The Birth of Venom (ASM 252, 256-259, 300 & WoSM 1) and then Thor: Reborn (volume 3, 1-6)

SBT

ggod selections ?

Quote from: Lee Bates on 09 January, 2012, 08:43:16 AM
You'll have to get every single one or THE SPINES WON'T LINE UP FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!

It's never appeared to bother Rebellion :D

SmallBlueThing

Depends if youve got them i guess. Im not subbing, because i have some and im not interested in iron man or thor. The venom one, and all further spidey, i'll pick up online from the usual places. In due course, if i cant get the same thing in standard trade for cheaper.

But there's no denying it's a lovely set. Im not fond of the spine design, but the actual production of the books seems sound.

Is the second one out yet?

SBT

Mardroid

I did sub* and it's yet to arrive. Not complaining though as I didn't order it that long ago. 

I saw the Spidey issue in W H Smiths and while I agree it's nice, it's smaller than I imagined. I guess £9.99 is pretty normal for a hard-back but at that size, I think my decision to not continue beyond Episode 2* is the right one.

*and 3 since it comes free with two.

Jedit

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 January, 2012, 11:54:17 AM
The books are quite... thin, aren't they?

No.  The first volume released is one of the shortest in the series (having only six 22-page issues), but it still has more story pages than the recent Insurrection TPB.  The Dark Phoenix Saga has nine issues, making it longer than Mazeworld. 

Honestly, these books are pretty good value even at full price.  They're full colour hardbacks on good paper with additional content, sold at the same price as a regular TPB or less. 

(Essentials are a separate argument.  Last I saw one, they were black and white phonebooks.  Have they changed?)

Satanist

I've subbed to this as I don't own a lot of Marvel stuff, they look like quality and to be frank £20 a month is fuck all to me. ;)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

SmallBlueThing

Ive just bought it from my local newsie myself. So, now.

SBT