Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

House of Usher

Quote from: Krombasher on 28 August, 2010, 12:13:30 PM
You are Charles Buckowski am I not correct?

This experience could be the making of me.  :)

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 28 August, 2010, 01:19:12 PM
@HOU : If you were to report this matter to H+S your employer/manager could be fined or at the very least get a warning.

You may very well be right there, but this kind of practice in the Royal Mail is quite well known and widespread, even where regular postmen are concerned - some are complicit in it. The Health and Safety Executive must get two or three reports of it a week.

It wasn't the weight so much as its uneven distribution that was hazardous. I'm shocked at Davethomson's account of delivering the mail. Sounds far worse than mine. Didn't see one of those trolley things, but I'm guessing they only work well on the flat, so not so useful in the Valleys. I have seen them in Cardiff, which is quite flat on the whole. I have become quite expert on letterboxes this week. The low down ones are a pain, and so are those stupid vertical ones. The best ones are the horizontal, old-fashioned brass sort with a spring-loaded flap you can just press in with your thumb - no need to poke fingers in, so no risk of dog attacks.

I'm pleased to say that yesterday's pain has gone away entirely after two massages and another day's properly weighed deliveries. Today I left too bundles in the boot of the manager's car because I knew their weight would slow me down and I wouldn't have got them delivered by the time the car caught up with me again anyway. There was no argument when I delivered them while we were waiting for the other agency guy to finish his route.

Over 6 days we clocked up nearly 49 hours. Life doesn't spug. It's all better now.  :)
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 28 August, 2010, 09:20:44 PM
Quote from: Krombasher on 28 August, 2010, 12:13:30 PM
You are Charles Buckowski am I not correct?

This experience could be the making of me.  :)

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 28 August, 2010, 01:19:12 PM
@HOU : If you were to report this matter to H+S your employer/manager could be fined or at the very least get a warning.

You may very well be right there, but this kind of practice in the Royal Mail is quite well known and widespread, even where regular postmen are concerned - some are complicit in it. The Health and Safety Executive must get two or three reports of it a week.

Isnt it funny how the Govt is happy to bend the rules when its suit it ??

Selectively applied H+S rules ??

How convenient !
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

maryanddavid

My brother was a psotie for more than fifteen years, he had to give it up because of his back, He was treated appallingly by An Post, the postal service over here. He had a limp, constant migraines, and was haunched over like the guy from Notre Dame. He went to several An Post doctors, All who said, nothing wrong with you, get on with it.
He ended up having a disk removed and two vertibra fused. He is now much better, he'll run no marathons, but he can walk upright and the migraines have stopped. He got a degree and is now a teacher.
I guess the moral is if something is too heavy and unevenly distributed, no matter how fit or strong you are it will damage your back.

David

Trout

I just got a new front door fitted and it's got the letterbox at the bottom.

I feel incredibly guilty.

- Trout

House of Usher

Quote from: King Trout on 29 August, 2010, 12:18:46 AM
I just got a new front door fitted and it's got the letterbox at the bottom.

Up where you live, won't that end up knee-deep in snow??  :lol:

For my own part I have resolved always to leave my garden gate open from now on. My letterbox displeases me, being the sort with a flap on the outside and one on the inside, with draught excluder brushes in between.

And I know why damaged subscription 2000ads are not the postman's fault.  :|
STRIKE !!!

Trout

It's Scotland, not the North Pole, you plank.  :D

I don't feel so guilty now, though.

M.I.K.

Quote from: King Trout on 29 August, 2010, 12:45:02 AM

MEANWHILE, FOUR MONTHS LATER...

TordelBack

Quote from: maryanddavid on 29 August, 2010, 12:05:20 AM
He got a degree and is now a teacher.

Some irony for you there HoU!

House of Usher

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 August, 2010, 01:52:54 AM
Quote from: King Trout on 29 August, 2010, 12:45:02 AM

MEANWHILE, FOUR MONTHS LATER...

Cor! That looks just like King Trout's house!
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 August, 2010, 08:58:25 AM
Quote from: maryanddavid on 29 August, 2010, 12:05:20 AM
He got a degree and is now a teacher.

Some irony for you there HoU!

:lol: He's my anti-matter counterpart from a universe where time runs in the opposite direction!
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: House of Usher on 29 August, 2010, 12:28:49 AM
And I know why damaged subscription 2000ads are not the postman's fault.  :|

By the way, the answer to that one is:

* When the post leaves the Royal Mail depot, the postmen are obliged to tie together each bundle of letters (as much as can be carried in one hand) with two rubber bands, crossways. It stops the deliveries for 200 addresses getting mixed up. This can put strain on an A4 envelope bent around a Play.com CD and a wodge of bank statements and bills.

* When it rains, postmen are apt to pull items of mail out of the bag several at a time, or else a four-hour route would take twice as long. Bear in mind on a dry day the postman would normally hold all the mail for one street in his hand at a time because it's quicker than delving into the bag before every house on the route. If you are holding mail for more than three houses in your hand, the mail for the third, fourth or fifth house is going to be a bit wet by the time you get there.

* On a day when it pours down, the postman's bag itself will get wet through, and the mail rubs against wet canvas as you walk along. Delivery pouches aren't waterproof. They don't tell you this on your first day. One solution is to line the delivery pouch with a large carrier bag, the sort you get from a men's outfitters when you buy a suit. Unfortunately, depot managers aren't as conscientious about this as full time postmen are, and managers are more likely than postmen to say, with a shrug, and I quote: "mail gets wet." They are also quite happy to load a second pile for delivery into an already sodden delivery pouch without a thought for lining it first. Lining the delivery pouch with a bag isn't a matter of policy; it's left entirely to the postman's discretion.

So now you know.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

mini mogs arm was fine thanks! in fact she trounced us at ten pin..she scoredthe only strike of the game not bad for a 5 year old on her first game ever! and she will insist on carrying the balls herself.

House of Usher

That's good to hear and life-affirming.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Talking of the post where is my package from the US ??

I am sick and tired of the insecurity of never knowing if i am going to receive items in the post that are expected but you can always rely on Human error to fuck things up one way or another.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death