Main Menu

The Matt Smith years

Started by AlexF, 23 March, 2021, 10:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Quick everyone - what's your favourite Prog from the Matt Smith era of 2000AD (That's listed, officially, as Progs 1274 - today)? He's getting dangerously close to having 1,000 Progs under his belt!

I'm hoping that some of the regular posters here only begun reading the Prog in that time, so their memories of the last 18 years of 2000AD may be that much stronger than my own.

Just to kick things off, some of my top contenders:
1322, 1357, 1502, 1513, 1556, 1631, 1644, 1675, 1760, 1807/1808 (aka the Prog where Trifecta kicked in...), 1845, 1874, 1941, 1969, 2027, 2098, 2137, 2157...

I'll be honest, with the clockwork use of 'jumping on Progs' in this time, there are typically stretches of 5-10 Progs where the contents is basically the same - in those cases I've plumped for my favourite cover. But it's an embarrassment of riches overall - I've only managed to narrow it down to three!

Tomwe

Jeez talk about your tough question. Just spend some time clicking through covers & content on Barney since I came onboard at 1900 but its hard to find a stretch when there's no duff strip (Skip Tracer I'm looking at you).
My early suggestion would be Prog 2000 chock full of classic droids and some new strips too. More to come...

broodblik

All the jump-on progs and most of the xmas progs.  So excellent choices but I am still waiting for the "prefect" prog and what that would be is unknown. The day I read it I will know.

Matt Smith has certainly been one of the reasons the prog has been strong, solid and just plain great the last 7300 days
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Two easy answers for me:

1634 - Cradlegrave had just started, Zombo began and backed up by regular delights of Nikolai Dante, great Dredd and Savage we had the perfect Prog and the start of the new golden age which I honestly think is probably still going.

The fawning creepy answer is - the next Prog 'cos week in week during his reign as Tharg's little helper there's aways something thrilling to look forward to and the constant innovation and development of the Galaxy's Greatest has never been stronger than under his leadership.

pauljholden

Quote from: Tomwe on 23 March, 2021, 11:06:32 AM
Jeez talk about your tough question. Just spend some time clicking through covers & content on Barney since I came onboard at 1900 but its hard to find a stretch when there's no duff strip (Skip Tracer I'm looking at you).
My early suggestion would be Prog 2000 chock full of classic droids and some new strips too. More to come...

My memory may be hazy, but I'm pretty sure prog 2000 was Andy's big achievement. (Andy wasn't editor for long, but it was around that moment in time)

broodblik

PJ, I think Tomwe is referring to the 2000th prog and not the xmas prog at the end 2000:

vs

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pauljholden

Dandontdare

I said at the time that numbering system would end in tears!

Magnetica

It's a bit like asking me to name the songs on an album. When I only had a few I could do it easily. Now I have hundreds I can't.

Same with Progs. The only Progs I can actually give you the number of off the top of my head are, with one or two exceptions, sub Prog 700 and really sub Prog 521.

BPP

The 1800-1812 run of Dredd - low life - Simping detective (trifecta) plus Brass Sun and ABC Warriors was so good Jim Campbell compared it to the classic prog 400 era. And so 1807 (the trifecta reveal) has to be the one.

But basically the whole thing, he's some sub-editor.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tomwe

Thank you broodblik, yes that's what I meant. That original Prog 2000 was a scorcher too of course.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 23 March, 2021, 04:08:38 PM
The 1800-1812 run of Dredd - low life - Simping detective (trifecta) plus Brass Sun and ABC Warriors was so good Jim Campbell compared it to the classic prog 400 era. And so 1807 (the trifecta reveal) has to be the one.

Actually yeah this is a very, very good point and a really good call!

scrotnig

Nothing comes close to the Trifecta reveal, that whole run and the way the linked stories developed with no fanfare, I don't think anything can ever beat that. It was genuinely jaw-droppingly good. It wasn't just the fact the stories were linked, it was how good they were as individual stories as well.

It all looked unfeasibly easy. Many people at the very top of their craft were behind that run.

Funt Solo

Xmas Prog 2006 feels pretty golden.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

Quote from: pauljholden on 23 March, 2021, 11:54:29 AM
Quote from: Tomwe on 23 March, 2021, 11:06:32 AM

My memory may be hazy, but I'm pretty sure prog 2000 was Andy's big achievement. (Andy wasn't editor for long, but it was around that moment in time)

The end of 1999 issue - the first Prog 2000 - was my big achievement, thank you very much PJ, ably assisted by Andy! More than two years of work convincing Egmont management to let us do it, including 48-page fortnightly issues like Prog 1111 to demonstrate sales wouldn't suffer. [They didn't. In fact Prog 2000 was the best selling issue for several years, iirc.]