Main Menu

Cyberpunk 2077

Started by Rusty, 28 August, 2018, 03:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

This looks amazing. But what particularly struck me is the aesthetics and the design of certain things. Remind you of something? Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqbMkM-QQk

IAMTHESYSTEM

The bad, mad Meg [and Dredd] was an influence on this for sure. Looks fantastic but I might have to upgrade my Computer to play it. My machine slowed down terribly with Fallout 4, so I doubt it could handle this even on low polygons.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Krakajac

Lots of character customization options available too.  Perhaps a Lenny Zero or Galen DeMarco inspired character could be on the cards?  Aimee Nixon? :)

...and in a perfect world, we might see mods down the track allowing Judges and Lawmasters. :)

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah, this game looks insane. Can't get rid of that nagging feeling that I wish it was Dredd though. Not that I would let that spoil it for me! Hey maybe they'll lose the CyberPunk licence at some point and 2000ad could partner up with them :)

Quote from: Krakajac on 29 August, 2018, 04:48:48 AM
...and in a perfect world, we might see mods down the track allowing Judges and Lawmasters. :)

..Hadn't thought of that! Looks like I need to sell my car to buy a beefy PC!!! Hoping I can put the old Ryo Hazuki model in Shenmue 3 too

Sandman1

The gameplay reveal really did inspire the imagination... I almost expected to see a judge drive by when the player strolled down the sidewalk. And that megabuilding seems to function like a tower block from MC-1. My sky-high hopes for a great game didn't dwindle. 
Error...

Dredd Head

The game looks great and I trust CDPR to deliver, The Witcher series was unbelievable

Rusty

The yellow van chase section, and they even have an inhaler drug that slows down time. Looking at the aesthetic, I'd imagine that this is what 'Dredd' would have looked like had that film had a couple million more added to its budget. When the TV show finally does arrive, I expect it'll look very similar.

Sandman1

Quote from: Rusty on 31 August, 2018, 06:09:35 PMLooking at the aesthetic, I'd imagine that this is what 'Dredd' would have looked like had that film had a couple million more added to its budget. When the TV show finally does arrive, I expect it'll look very similar.

I feel like Dredd's world is based on a more dystopian sci-fi aesthetic, while the environment in this game is more imbued by a twisted carnival feeling. A setting with social complications and the struggle against a sole oppressor, in relation to technology gone haywire and fickle power structure (corporations and temporary governments).   
Error...

JOE SOAP

"Last but not least, it was openly admitted that a lot of inspiration for the game's 'megabuildings' came from Judge Dredd. As they said earlier, these are huge, multilevel skyscrapers inhabited by all sorts of people and filled with content. Nonetheless, most of the action in Cyberpunk 2077 will take place in the ever-bustling streets of Night City."

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-shooting-counterstrike/

The article refers to this filmed interview with the developers where they mention the 2012 Dredd film as an influence (turn subtitles on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKhlmX2zhQ&t=43m41s

Rusty

It was obvious, wasn't it? I'm surprised very few people are actually mentioning it either. I think Digital Foundry did, but no one else. Everyone seems to be comparing it to obvious stuff like Deus Ex and Blade Runner, but it's definitely got more Dredd in there than those two.

Krakajac

Even Dr DisRespect mentioned the similarity betwen Cyberpunk 2077 and the Dredd movie.  Apparently (when he was a level designer), he suggested a COD level that involved moving through a single Peachtrees style building.

GrudgeJohnDeed

I've only just got round to playing this, and it's definitely took a lot from Dredd hasn't it. You can probably find a MC1 equivalent for most of Night City's goings on, but the most recent thing I noticed is a character I just got introduced to - He's a singer with a synthetic voice implant who lives in an opulent home tended to by robots and is wearing a smoking jacket/dressing gown thing when you first meet him. Remind you of anyone? :D

It's one of the most gorgeous open-worlds I've ever seen and I'm enjoying the game a ton, but man it feels like it's always the bridesmaid never the bride with Dredd :'I