Main Menu

New 2000AD Covers Blog

Started by Pete Wells, 06 July, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Excellent work.
Any chance of getting Ben Willsher to comment on his Kirby-tastic cover for the upcoming Mutants in Mega-City One trade?

Pete Wells

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 22 July, 2013, 08:57:43 AM
Excellent work.
Any chance of getting Ben Willsher to comment on his Kirby-tastic cover for the upcoming Mutants in Mega-City One trade?

I'll have a go Eamonn!

While we wait for that, thee's Cliff and Dylan's excellent Meg cover - I want to see this on cups, t-shirts, posters, the lot!

Montynero

Quote from: Pete Wells on 27 July, 2013, 09:17:35 AM
Excellent work.

I'll have a go Eamonn!

While we wait for that, thee's Cliff and Dylan's excellent Meg cover - I want to see this on cups, t-shirts, posters, the lot!

Seconded! It's a classic!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Pete Wells on 27 July, 2013, 09:17:35 AM
Excellent work.

I'll have a go Eamonn!

Fantastic, looking forward to it

Montynero

haha! Dog Deever has a bad day. Nice one.

Pete Wells

Brendan McCarthy channels the greats on my blog today...

Frank

Quote from: Pete Wells on 28 July, 2013, 08:13:18 AM
Brendan McCarthy channels the greats on my blog today ... http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/

Mental - I've no history with or knowledge of the sources (i), so it's fascinating to see what makes Our Bren's mind tick. Cheers, you erudite bugger.

(i) When I saw the Kirby cover my first thought was that he was doing Shaky Kane, even though I know that Shaky Kane was doing Kirby. This must be what it's like for kids listening to new bands who rip off Oasis, who were ripping off the Beatles, who were ripping off Little Richard ...

Pete Wells

You're right Sauchie. I'm strictly a 2000AD guy so I was completely blagging that article. Still, when I was googling those names you really could see their influence on McCarthy which... Ahem, I knew all the time, honest guvnor...

Pete Wells

Here you go fellas, a good kick in the tentacles from Mr Critchlow is up on the blog today!

James Stacey

Man that's amarzing (yes 'amarzing' is a thing now)

Frank

"There's a slight mistake in the image though, can you spot it?"

Sir, the senior Judge appears to have discarded his left elbow pad during the course of his life and death struggle with a big bastard tentacle thing, Sir. How do I claim my prize? Although, if it's like school, and my only reward for being a wee smartarse is getting to drink the leftover kiddie-sized bottle of government milk that's been sitting in direct sunlight all morning, I might pass.

Pete Wells

Nice try Sauchie but you're wrong. Stand in the corner, boy... Turn around, we don't want to see your silly face...

Pete Wells

A gushier than normal post today as I post a shit load of Ian Gibson goodness!

Frank

I was going to type a proper reply, but it would basically just have been me agreeing with everything you said in your blog - your remark about Gibson's animated version of Dredd's eagle being a particular Killing Me Softly moment. I bow to no man in my love for McMahon, Kennedy and McCarthy, but it was the incredible life, energy and humour of Gibson's work on Robohunter, Halo and Dredd that first drew me into the comic.

It was Gibson's time on the Daily Star which showed me the incredible things of which the Dredd strip was capable, and all my earliest attempts to draw the character feature the distinctive flare of the helmet and cartoon anatomy of Q Twerk. As those commissions you posted demonstrate, Gibson's still producing absolutely top-notch work, and the idea that we might have seen the last of him in the prog makes me all sad and that. Best blog post ever, Pete

Recrewt

"There's a slight mistake in the image though, can you spot it?"

Is it the [spoiler]tentacle that goes behind his back but gets cut off between his gun strap and forearm?[/spoiler]