Main Menu

EDGE OF EXTINCTION - Your new favourite zombie comic

Started by Bad City Blue, 15 October, 2019, 11:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I too have just read issues #1-3 of this, and while I don't have a blog... well, not one that isnt about paleoanthropology anyway*... I have to make my feelings known.

It's bloody great. I mean it- sometimes, when I get kickstarter or small press comics, I struggle a bit. Sometimes the level of talent doesn't quite live up to the level of enthusiasm on display- and while that probably sounds unnecessarily harsh, it's my honest response.

Not so, here.

Yes, you could dismiss it as "just a British Walking Dead" and ask how many independent zombie comics the world needs, but I would argue that the sub genre is as broad as you want to make it, and just as Romero showed us arguably five different apocalypses in his six movies, and his zombies were very different to those of other film makers, so Edge of Extinction is very different to Kirkman's opus.

To read these in the same month that The Walking Dead begun its colour reboot could have been even more problematic- as the shiny Walking Dead Deluxe was a very, very impressive and attractive package. But, you know what? Edge of Extinction is just as attractive. I'm hesitant to draw a comparison to that weird year when we saw both The Day After and Threads on our TVs, with both presenting a similar event in very different and culturally-indicative ways. Whereas The Day After was a product of glamorous US network TV, Threads was grimy and gritty Britain at its grimiest and grittiest. The distinction between Walking Dead and Edge is not the same, but the different cultural approaches are there for all to see.

Three issues in, I want to read the fourth. And the fifth. It annoys me slightly that I can't as yet. Surely that's the best recommendation I can give.

Buy this comic.

SBT

*and that one isn't public, anyway.