Main Menu

Afternoon

Started by The Mind of Wolfie Smith, 13 October, 2013, 12:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Started prog 126/128, can't remember exactly, but the cover with Dredd arresting an entire East Meg ship. This remains my favourite cover. Inside was unlike any comic, ever, completely immersive, gripping, and often troubling. 15/16 years later, I grew up and stopped reading. Only to inch back bit by bit. As you do.

Living abroad, and finding a sub too pricey, I only read the prog and meg occasionally these days, which is why the new proper trades operation (allied to the BD, it must be said) have been a real boon. Beautiful books. And it's obvious that the ever underestimated John Wagner is completely at the top of his game and career right now. Regarding the tpbs, however, my only complaint is when storylines are left dangling when publishing projects get prematurely axed ... I'm particularly thinking VCs and Red Seas ... will I EVER know how these end? It's a bit galling to shell out cash on a publishing premise and then be left marooned mid-story forever.

Not at all interested in digital. Books and comics are tactile and beautiful 3D objects; and covers are designed to be seen by all, provoking intrigue from neighbours as to what levels of thrillpower may be lurking within.

I'm a writer. I live a long way away. And there's little more to say. Nice forum.

Mabs

I'm also gutted to see no further Red Seas trade....I was one of the few that loved the first two series and the last, would love to have seen the other stories published.

By the way, welcome to the forum!  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Spikes

How do Wolfie, and welcome to the forum  :wave:

Proteus4

hallo there! Pleasure to meet you.

Cheers
dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

maryanddavid

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard. The issue in question is 128, link via the ever mighty Barney

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=128&Comic=2000ad

Yeah its such a shame that various trade series haven't done the business and Red Seas in particular deserve another go in my mind. Wonderful series.

Have fun.

TordelBack

Welcome, Wolfie.  I'm coming to the end of a re-read of later Red Seas, and I agree, a proper reprint programme for that strip is badly needed, even for those who read it in the Progs.  It's good satisfying stuff taken at a run, but was unnecessarily protracted in the original publication schedule.  At (I think) well over 600 pages, it's two big Casefiles worth of material, and as I still see lonely copies of Banner of King Death on shop shelves where'er I go that sort of investment seems a bit unlikely...  This is particularly unfortunate as it forms part of a shared setting with Stickleback, Leviathan and Ampney Crucis (at least), and it'd be a shame for it to slip into unavailable obscurity.

I'm afraid I hadn't even noticed that the end of the later VCs run remains uncollected.  You'd think the Abnett name would shift a few, but judging by Sinister Dexter trades that isn't the case.  I know that you are no fan of digital jiggerypokery for comics reading, but I do wonder if this is an arena where these less-widely appreciated series might grow an audience which might feed back into more enthusiasm for physical reprint.  Faint hope's better than none, I suppose.

'Course maybe IDW will bring out a colour version of Red Seas and it'll sell like gangbusters.