Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

You have raised them well, sir.  I didn't watch the Toy Show, but apparently there weren't many toys on it and Tubridy dropped an f-bomb in front of a little girl. You don't see the Mando swearing around his little lad.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Krakajac

(Apologies if the following has been raised earlier...)

The emergence of Grogu also plays nicely into the exchange between Ben and Yoda in ESB...

Ben: "That boy is our last hope"
Yoda:  "No...there is another."

Yoda would have had knowledge of Grogu's initial training on Coruscant - and perhaps he assisted with Grogu's escape during The Purge?

Yes, yes - no doubt Yoda was referring to Leia. ;)  But it makes for a nice 'what if...'.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 November, 2020, 12:28:27 AM
I have the chronology of the Child all arsewise

I'm not up on these things, but do we know canonically how much time passes over the course of the original trilogy? It feels like there's at least a few months between New Hope and Empire, and Luke seems to be older, wiser, and has a much better command of the Force in Jedi, compared to Empire.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 November, 2020, 09:57:58 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 November, 2020, 09:39:55 AM
You don't see the Mando swearing around his little lad.

:lol:

It's just struck me too that there's a massive Strontium Dog vibe to the whole series - apologies if it's been pointed out before. Mando himself is Alpha in a Dredd suit. Kind of.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Krakajac

"but do we know canonically how much time passes over the course of the original trilogy?"

Canonically - nope.

I think the general consensus* is about 3 years between ANH and ESB...and about a year between ESB and ROTJ.  You're certainly right about Luke - much more composed and 'with it' when he takes on Jabba in ROTJ, etc.

* The general consensus being greatly influenced by the Expanded Universe and all of its shenanigans.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 November, 2020, 10:20:53 AM
It's just struck me too that there's a massive Strontium Dog vibe to the whole series - apologies if it's been pointed out before. Mando himself is Alpha in a Dredd suit. Kind of.

I really appreciate the quite black sense of humour the series is developing — the jet pack gag in the first episode in E2 and the cargo bay one in E4 of this season felt particularly Wagner/Grant to me, plus, y'know, the egg thing.

Jim_Campbell

Jim_Campbell

TordelBack

Quote from: Krakajac on 28 November, 2020, 10:21:19 AM
You're certainly right about Luke - much more composed and 'with it' when he takes on Jabba in ROTJ, etc.

In the old days the TESB- RotJ gap was supposed to be about 6 months, but it has been entertainingly fluid over the years.  I think a 3-4 year span for the OT is accurate enough for our purposes.

Definitely see the Strontium Dog thing, but then both come from similar inspiration.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 November, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
Definitely see the Strontium Dog thing, but then both come from similar inspiration.

Also the endearing wafts of Eau de Firefly that drift through from time to time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 November, 2020, 11:58:17 AMDefinitely see the Strontium Dog thing, but then both come from similar inspiration.

Indeed, and early SD had a fair bit of influence from Star Wars I'll bet.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Krakajac on 28 November, 2020, 10:21:19 AMCanonically - nope.

I kept seeing "ABY" in games and stuff Star Wars-related, and eventually cracked and Googled it to discover that it means "after the Battle of Yavin" which is when the Death Star blows up at the end of the original film, so theoretically, Lucasfilm - which seemed to run a tighter ship than most when it came to its multimedia continuity - had a solid idea of when events occurred in relation to each other, even if they didn't always stick to it in every last game, novel, comic book or whatever.
Whether Disney has knocked that continuity on the head during their clean-out is, of course, another matter.  I suspect it doesn't really matter for our purposes as viewers.

JOE SOAP

Professor Bear

I don't see Droids or Caravan Of Courage anywhere on that list, so how accurate can it be?