Main Menu

Prog 2174 - Blind Fury!

Started by Leigh S, 21 March, 2020, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

A cover that it took me a bit of time to recognise as A: Will Simpson and B: Aquila - nice enough, though!

Dredd is fun if a bit exposition heavy - great art and nice idea for a twist on "Dredd meets his cultural counterpart"

Saving the rest but just to say, wonderful Star Scan by Eoin Coveney - Thought it was Mike Collins for a second! Very classic, very dynamic!

Colin YNWA

I'm really struggling with the cover. I love Will Simpson's art but somehow this feels so flat. Like its lacking in a focal point to catch the eye. The image is expertly rendered but so uminspiring. I was wondering whether its the fact that Aquilla is blindfolded means it lacks something. Just don't know.

Inside we're fine mind. Nice little Dredd with some glorious art by D'Irsaeli and a fun tale by the Edginton Droid starring some funky wee beasties and a cute doggy.

Well I knew it'd been a while since we'd last seen Aquila but four years?!?! Anyway seems like Grennie is doing a spring clean first we get Caballistics Inc boxed off now we get a conclusion to Aquila - I think I've read this will see is to an end? Either way nioce start and a lovely double page splash from Patrcik Goddard neaty closes that 4 year gap and we're off and running.

Speaking of running Sinister Dexter has a glorious Scooby Doo chase scene all 2000ad'd up with violence and action. Its such fun. Then intrigue is ramped up as we head towards 'Bulletopia'. Colour me excited, particularly if we we The Mighty Yeowell on art for this one.

Skip Tracer turns back into a mardy early 90s twooth git hero - there were so many like this back in the day and its a part of why the comic got so poor at that time. I mean its okay stuff and I'm liking were the story is going - just not whose taking us there - this tale deserves a stronger led character to make it work I fear. That could happily done with some character development.

Feral and Foe - talk about ending with a BANG. Fantastic last episode with that ? leaves us with some hope that this will come back, even if the last panel leaves us in some doubt!

Nice Star Scan from Eoin Coveney too. So packed Prog. Its not up there will the astonishing start to the year but the Prog is still in fine fettle.

judgerufian

Mine was missing this morning and with all thats going on with our own chaos bug, I'm  glad to read it must just be late!

73north

I didn't get my copy sadly - but I also got the 2000AD - Action Special ( its a magazine ) don't know why but in my head  I thought it was going to be a Hardback Annual - anyway my copy of 2000AD didn't arrive - but 
Action 2020 makes up for it in spades , I especially loved the Kurt Hellman Special by Garth Ennis and Mike Dorey on Artwork = just sublime storytelling and it rolled back the years -
and very , very enjoyable , I would love that the entire original series got reprinted as an Hardback edition
the rest of the stories were grand as well - one very happy customer
overall , 5 out of 5 - thanks Rebellion !!

Richard

Perfectly good ending for Feral and Foe. If it never comes back, it was a good stand-alone series. But I wouldn't mind if it came back with [spoiler]new characters. The world the writer has built is strong enough to support a new cast. I'd be less happy if the people who apparently died turned out not to be dead after all, or came back from the dead.[/spoiler]

Blue Cactus

It's a funny old cover this one. Not sure I love it but I do love having Simpson back.

Really enjoyed the Dredd. Loved his dialogue with O'Reilly, Dredd making a little conversation rather than just being an indifferent hardcase. I always like seeing this side of Dredd. It's only a couple of lines but it makes me love old Joe. Other writers might have just had him grunting acknowledgement or having him snap at her about getting on with the case. Liked the storyline here as well, Balzari is fun and D'Israeli is just incredible these days. What a style! Everything clear, cleanly rendered, beautiful colours and totally distinctive. Hope this runs for a good few weeks.

AQUILA! Nice to have him back. A grim start from the team. Lovely opening landscape from Goddard and Bowland, who work really nicely together. We get a we summary to get us up to date and then things start to get weird. Looking forward to it.

Sindex - I thought this story was pretty weak to be honest. A somewhat cliched haunted house fight scene as a backdrop for the two sharks to discuss the overall situation. Looks great though and I am definitely looking forward to the full length story that's on the way.

Skip Tracer. Would Nolan say 'Nor why you're both here...' - I mean really, would he say 'nor'? I suppose he would, because he did. We get some background and a set up for a bit of detective work. Have to agree with Colin about the mid-'s feel of this strip and particularly the protagonist. Hoping that Blake and his pal whose name I've just forgotten play off each other in an interesting way. As someone else said it's a story that might suit a Regened issue if it was told in a more upbeat and fun style. Tharg is certainly backing this horse as a regular feature.

Feral and Foe - Hmmm. I like that orange guy! I like this world too, I think, and would happily see more of it. I'd also be happy [spoiler]if the protagonists are actually dead and we got some new main characters[/spoiler]. Wrath seems more interesting to me that Bode. I'm surprised at how much the 'tank' idea kept cropping up in this series - it felt like a one-off joke that kept coming back to lesser and lesser effect. Enjoyed the use of 'tossers' this week although I'm not sure why the baddie had a bmx helmet. Nice art though.

Some amazing colourists in the prog at the moment. Elson, Teague, Charles, Bowland and D'Israeli all doing fantastic and distinctively different work. I always like some black and white or the odd fully painted strip in there but really, the prog looks very classy right now in no small part down to these five wizards.

Sorry if there's some negativity in this review - I'm enjoying the prog as always and particularly in these uncertain times it's an absolute boost to the system to have it arriving every week.

Blue Cactus

Re Skip Tracer - 'mid-90s' I meant to say.

broodblik

The star-scan by Eoin Coveney:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

A welcome prog providing some much-needed thrill-power in this first week of lockdown.

Superb work by D'Israeli on Dredd, I love when we get an esoteric take on a familiar strip. This is my first time round with Aquila so I appreciated the Rennie droid's fluid recap, enhanced of course by that epic double-page spread courtesy of Goddard and Bowland. The SinDex story turns out to be a hors d'oeuvre for a mouth-watering main course and Skip Tracer continues its upward trend.

And what to make of Feral & Foe? Due a return, surely - Abnett and the Elsons have clearly invested too much time for it to be a one-off. I suspect the effect of a malchemical bomb may not be as injurious to our protagonists as a logical mind might suggest. Whether any long-term cohesive plot emerges from further instalments of this knockabout madness is anyone's guess, but... bring it on!

The Monarch

Sadly i did not get the meg this week but this was a fantastic prog!

broodblik

This was a good prog. Good to see the return of Aquila, another great Rennie character. Hopefully this is not the last of Feral & Foe
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

james newell

I got this prog as a back issue, it is on a heavy stock card then the regular prog from the newsagents anyone else experience this, is this a digital reprint of a out of stock first printing progs?

Molch-R

Bit of a necropost, but due to various pandemic-related postal issues we are currently missing the required copies of 2000 AD Prog 2174 (cover date 25 March 2020) for inclusion in our archive. This is a longshot, but if anyone has a couple of good quality copies they'd be willing to part with so that we can keep the archive properly stocked we'd be happy to reimburse them for cover price and cost of postage. Please PM me through the forum if you have. Many thanks!

hippynumber1