Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Stegosaurus of Style?

When you described Ace Trucking Co as something that was previously funny but had got itself into a hole and kept digging, I think the technical term for that is "Doing a Linehan" 

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 12 June, 2019, 01:17:11 AM
At the end of the most recent episode we talk for a moment about what we'd call the show if we start talking about Starlord, now that we've getting to the end of Action. Starlord is a tough one, because a lot of these other titles work on with an RE in front of the title (ReAction, for  instance) but ReStarlord isn't as good!

Makes sense - if I listen to podcasts in my lunch hour I often miss the last few minutes :-)

Funt Solo

That fantastic McCarthy cover Fox was talking about:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

FoxIsntARobot

I know I don't post much on here outside of catching up...

Quote from: WhizzBang on 10 June, 2019, 07:54:53 PM
Thanks Conrad - I did not expect to hear Fox turn up - what a treat!

Glad to see I haven't worn people out quite yet  :D

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 11 June, 2019, 07:54:46 AM
Star Lord Trek.

I love this.

Quote from: skurvy on 12 June, 2019, 07:01:47 AM
Re:Merge.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 12 June, 2019, 06:25:39 PM
"Starlord ReLorded"

Conrad, we need to get some of these folks on the show....I have significantly less wit  :lol:

Quote from: The Monarch on 17 June, 2019, 08:27:02 PM
geez we are coming closer to the first 2000ad issue i ever owned (534) not when i became a regular reader tho that was in a certain forthcoming dredd annual in about 3 years later

One of the things that keeps me going is comments like this. I love that, once we get somewhere special to anyone, it's meaningful.

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 June, 2019, 08:29:09 PM
Stegosaurus of Style?

When you described Ace Trucking Co as something that was previously funny but had got itself into a hole and kept digging, I think the technical term for that is "Doing a Linehan"

Please explain. Or maybe Conrad will. He does his homework.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 June, 2019, 05:28:47 AM
That fantastic McCarthy cover Fox was talking about:

This is truly a cover that made an impact on me and shows a change (again for myself) about the comic's maturation. It just keeps growing and bringing in new talent while being so evocative. McCarthy did a lot of work with Sooner and Later and it defines it more so (for me) than the writing. This kind of work exemplifies someone's craft.

Funt Solo

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 23 June, 2019, 02:54:32 PM

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 June, 2019, 08:29:09 PM
Stegosaurus of Style?

Please explain. Or maybe Conrad will. He does his homework.

I think he's referring to something quite British (& Irish) that probably hasn't flagged up too strongly in the US.  Graham Linehan was a much-loved comedy writer who has, in recent years, seemingly become obsessed with anti-transgender activism through the medium of his Twitter account*, to the extent that the police had occasion to have a little word in his shell-like.

Anyway: it's rather small beer compared to things in the US - where the President and Vice-President (rather than a relatively well known comedy writer) are in cahoots to try to stop their embassies from flying the rainbow flag (and other things that would stop gay people from being ... allowed ... to be).  Still, the embassies tend to respond well to such demands, so there's hope yet:

*Brave and foolhardy be the Interweb surfer who spends too long trying to unravel that palaver.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 June, 2019, 04:33:00 PM
I think he's referring to something quite British (& Irish) that probably hasn't flagged up too strongly in the US.  Graham Linehan was a much-loved comedy writer who has, in recent years, seemingly become obsessed with anti-transgender activism through the medium of his Twitter account*, to the extent that the police had occasion to have a little word in his shell-like.

Anyway: it's rather small beer compared to things in the US - where the President and Vice-President (rather than a relatively well known comedy writer) are in cahoots to try to stop their embassies from flying the rainbow flag (and other things that would stop gay people from being ... allowed ... to be).  Still, the embassies tend to respond well to such demands, so there's hope yet:

You, me, and a pint would get on real well  :lol:

Leigh S

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and fifty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 503-506 of 2000AD, covering January of 1987. This episode Dredd handles Varks, DJs, and novelists, Nemesis splits the team and Thoth is doing time crimes, Johnny Alpha makes a new friend, Sláine talks old times, and our Bad Company friend Malcolm is having a bad day. Also Conrad tries to explain what'll be going on behind the scenes of 2000AD in the year 1987, and will surely be corrected from all corners, to say nothing of our pronunciation of Niamh!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 24 June, 2019, 05:19:20 AM
In our thrilling hundred and fifty-ninth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 503-506 of 2000AD, covering January of 1987. This episode Dredd handles Varks, DJs, and novelists, Nemesis splits the team and Thoth is doing time crimes, Johnny Alpha makes a new friend, Sláine talks old times, and our Bad Company friend Malcolm is having a bad day. Also Conrad tries to explain what'll be going on behind the scenes of 2000AD in the year 1987, and will surely be corrected from all corners, to say nothing of our pronunciation of Niamh!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

BIZMO KLUX!  Night of the Rad-Beast - "need bits for Bizmo!"

(I've only listened to half - note to self - don't listen to the bit about the old king having to eat Fomorian waste while eating lunch)

Leigh S

Got as far as Kano as Alex Jones and was guffawing so hard I thought I might get thrown off the bus - genius!

sintec

Just joined you via a few of your collections.  Awesome stuff.  Trying to avoid spoilers for stuff coming up in the current Ultimate Collection as this is my first read of loads of this stuff.  Figured it was safer sticking to the collections as I could pick ones I've either read or which aren't going to be included.  Your enthusiasm for Shako makes me wish he was being included now :( Maybe I'll have to grab the trade at some point.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixtieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 507-510 of 2000AD, covering January and February 1987 . This time Ulysses Sweet is on the case, Danny Franks gets a new hat, the taxidermist is on the job, a king is slain, and the President Reagan is missing!

Note: Conrad identifies the artist for the cover of Prog 509 as Carlos Ezquerra, but it's actually Robin Smith. Don't believe Conrad's lies!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Quote from: sintec on 27 June, 2019, 09:16:16 PM
Just joined you via a few of your collections.  Awesome stuff.  Trying to avoid spoilers for stuff coming up in the current Ultimate Collection as this is my first read of loads of this stuff.  Figured it was safer sticking to the collections as I could pick ones I've either read or which aren't going to be included.  Your enthusiasm for Shako makes me wish he was being included now :( Maybe I'll have to grab the trade at some point.

Nice, welcome aboard! I always want to do more collections but my laziness gets in the way far too often :(
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 July, 2019, 06:25:02 AM
In our thrilling hundred and sixtieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 507-510 of 2000AD, covering January and February 1987 . This time Ulysses Sweet is on the case, Danny Franks gets a new hat, the taxidermist is on the job, a king is slain, and the President Reagan is missing!

Note: Conrad identifies the artist for the cover of Prog 509 as Carlos Ezquerra, but it's actually Robin Smith. Don't believe Conrad's lies!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Unless I missed it, you don't mention that Paxo is a brand of stuffing mix, so I guess it was a cultural reference for British audiences?

Funt Solo

I really enjoyed Conrad's amazing Godfather impersonation.  It caused a sudden tea::cereal interface.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

HP Sauce!

Birmingham's fourth greatest export, after Heavy Metal, Smash and guns...

Sadly long since gone from Aston - my uncle used to work there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce