Main Menu

Side-side-vote - The golden goose-stepper

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 25 June, 2022, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Spurred on by Broodblik's vote re. Dredd writers, I've started thinking about Dredd's age and decided to make my own referendum.

Dredd is old.  He began to feel his age over 30 years ago. He can't last forever. It's a problem, and I'm not sure how to solve it.  What should happen?

1.  Permanent Kraken - He should die, and Rico should take his name.

2.  The standard solution  - He should die, and (yawn) have his brain / bio-chip inserted into Rico to make them the same person.

3.  Dark Knight Returns (kind of) - He should become Chief Judge, and leave the rough stuff to Rico.

4.  The Taggart solution - He should die, and an ensemble of supporting characters should take over.

5.  The DC solution - the real-time thing should be quietly shelved, and a floating timeline introduced.

6.  The Stront - he dies, then we just dip into past cases here and there.  (But he isn't resurrected).

7.  The half-Stont - he doesn't die, but we still just go back to past cases (like that recent Apocalypse War one).

8.  The Dan Dare - the whole strip is dropped, and other writers occasionally resurrect him (though Grant Morrison isn't allowed to have Judge Death do what the Mekon did to Dan in Revolver).

9.  The Narcos solution - Dredd's brain is put into a Mechanismo robot, and now HE knows what it is to be discriminated against.

10 - something else.

It's boring, and cliched, but I think with a gun to my head I'd have to go with 2.

EDIT - no, feck it.  I'll go with 3.  Obviously that's just kicking the can down the road but it's the best I can think of.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Some kind of super-regen technology.  Dredd has to stay on the streets and it has to actually be Dredd.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

I do not like the concept of reboots but I am sot sure what should happen so I will say keep the status quo as is.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 25 June, 2022, 11:36:10 AM
Some kind of super-regen technology.  Dredd has to stay on the streets and it has to actually be Dredd.

Think I could just about live with that.  The tech does exist in MC1, as shown by Mike Carroll in Carousel.  Not ideal, but none of the solutions are.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

He should disappear in a King Arthur type way just before his entire timeline is absorbed into the forgotten dreams of a small, unregarded planet-sized geranium - except for the scorched left earring of Cassandra Anderson and the indicator arrow off Mean Machine's head. Then the space geranium gets eaten by a cosmic goat and there ends the Dreddverse...

...or does it?

Yes.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 25 June, 2022, 11:50:32 AM
I do not like the concept of reboots but I am sot sure what should happen so I will say keep the status quo as is.

This for me. Just carry on as it is. He was already told by a Med Judge that he was good for another couple of decades and then had a rejuve treatment.

So basically I ignore his age and just read the strip.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Just keep going as is, but occasionally lampshade how implausibly old he is.
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dash Decent on 25 June, 2022, 11:36:10 AM

This ^^^^

with the lampshades
DDT did a job on me

Richard

I'm happy with any of 1, 2 or 3. The other ideas suck balls. 5 and I stop reading it.

Huey2

1.  Permanent Kraken - He should die, and Rico should take his name.

It's a shame that Ezquerra isn't around any more to do the honours but I really would like to see Wagner kill off his most famous character. Not just because the whole age thing will get too silly after a while but because I know he could deliver a great story.

The fact that Rico, Dolman and a handful of unseen others have been around for twenty plus years provides the perfect have-your-cake-and-eat-it solution.

Richard

Side-vote: if Wagner did kill off Dredd, and as Ezquerra is not around to draw it, which artist should do the honours?

Colin YNWA

Space magic or sci-fi regene science  type stuff. Fudge it. They have for long enough.

Huey2

Side-vote: if Wagner did kill off Dredd, and as Ezquerra is not around to draw it, which artist should do the honours?

Higgins, MacNeil or Flint - they've all got a long history with Dredd.

Although, there may be little point in asking MacNeil to do it as no character he's ever killed off has stayed dead.

JayzusB.Christ

Definitely McNeil.  For feck's sake, let someone he kills stay dead.  Hershey's death was pure Dredd perfection, then... Well, never mind.

Magnetica

Break the bank and get Bolland to do it.