Main Menu

The Trailer Thread

Started by radiator, 16 November, 2011, 02:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Aye - that was the subtext of the sections of The Lego Movie featuring the kid who can't get the love and attention he needs from his dad, wasn't it? Lots of folk cited The Matrix as the template for that part of the narrative, without ever thinking through which Ur-narrative provided the template for the Wachowski's story of the special one who must sacrifice himself to bring an end to the old, corrupted world and save his chosen people.

Crucifying your toys is an essential rite of passage as you assume the burdens and the powers associated with adulthoood. When I got too old to have my Action Man lying around without other kids laughing at me I dressed him in his Waffen SS duds and nailed him to the wall in an INRI pose, with blood stains (poster colour mixed with PVA) running from the wounds in his palms and feet.

Goaty

Mmm...

Transformers: Age of Extinction Teaser Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGpDoyJvmI

TordelBack

Now let's be clear about this: I find Transformers movies hard going, and I thought No. 3 was close to being the worst thing I've ever seen committed to film, but while this is a terribly badly-made trailer, it also looks like the film might be fun... At least I can tell the dinobots apart.

And I'll take Marky Mark over Boeufy Boeuf any day.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 March, 2014, 09:12:34 AM
Now let's be clear about this: I find Transformers movies hard going, and I thought No. 3 was close to being the worst thing I've ever seen committed to film, but while this is a terribly badly-made trailer, it also looks like the film might be fun... At least I can tell the dinobots apart.

They seem to have sorted the problem of everything looking like a confusing flurry of pixels, but - just like Pacific Rim - when two of them are fighting they never look like enormous robots. Your eye reads them as being human size, so the backdrops look like the teeny-tiny bushes made of green-painted sponge and buildings made from cereal packets which decorated the countryside of the model railway my pal's dad had set up in his attic.

You only really get a sense of the intended scale of the robots when they're interacting with humans, so I suppose Marky Mark being a short arse helps sell that illusion. Wouldn't it have been more fun if he was playing the same character he portrayed in Lone Survivor?

Radbacker

See I know the Transformer movies are bad, I like good movies and like to think I understand what makes a good movie but for some reason I love all the Transformer movies (even number two which is hard task)!  I don't understand why I just have so much fun watching them, I was a Transformers kid growing up so that obviously has something to do with it but I think it's my inherent love of all things Mech and Robot.
Anyway what I''m saying is that trailer looks absolutely arsom and once again Bay has my money opening day.

Please don't think any less of me for this confession  :-[

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

GET OUT!  :P

Honestly though, i'll be the first to admit that the Transformers cartoons where nothing to hold up as a holy relic of entrainment. They where cheap, Saturday morning cartoons aimed at children to sell toys. But you know what, it was still fun. Which is a lot more than can be said for Bay's dull, overly long, slightly mysogynistic turds. I can't muster the energy to watch the third after how bad the second was and I have zero interest in the new one.

Goaty

What the...

I think it will be one of great films in 2014!

Frank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-hWzq67w4

CrazyFoxMachine

I just don't get it - it looks to be a nice "kooky" affair but WHY is it Frank Sidebottom's head?! It's got little to nothing in relation to the man - it seems a complete tangent away from everything he was. Oh well whatever nevermind.

Hawkmumbler

I only recognise him as the TV host from Filth.

JOE SOAP

Phantasm -on the sly- got its 5th installment:

Phantasm: Ravager

Hawkmumbler

Not entirely convinced. However, I remain optimistic!

Goaty

Tiplodocus

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 March, 2014, 09:05:32 AM
I just don't get it - it looks to be a nice "kooky" affair but WHY is it Frank Sidebottom's head?! It's got little to nothing in relation to the man - it seems a complete tangent away from everything he was. Oh well whatever nevermind.

Exactly. That didn't seemed about as close to Frank as Stallone was to Dredd or Hoskins was to Mario.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 April, 2014, 12:20:01 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 March, 2014, 09:05:32 AM

Exactly. That didn't seemed about as close to Frank as Stallone was to Dredd or Hoskins was to Mario.

Don't diss Hoskins. If ever there was an actor born to play a New Yorker Italian-Plumber, it's an English quasi-cockney.

He was the most inspired casting since Sean Connery played an Irishman/ Spaniard/ Russian.
Lock up your spoons!