Main Menu

"I'm a stickler"

Started by Trout, 18 June, 2004, 07:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Thinking of Dredd's great lines, and the Pit, I've had this in mind the last day or two, and it's a bit of a Friday thread starter.

"My name is Dredd. I'm a stickler."

What are you a stickler for?

Personally, I don't let anyone even open any comic I've not yet read, as I like it "fresh."

I also like to keep my house tidy.

Professionally, there are lots of things that I tell off less senior people for, especially in their writing.

I hate the use of weak words, especially "recently," as it means absolutely bugger all and tells the reader nothing.

I also get the piss taken out of me in the office for objecting to someone being called "well-known" in the paper.
If he's well-known, why do you have to bother saying so? :-)

Anyway, pedants, anal retentives and uptight pains-in-the-neck - are you sticklers?

- Trout

Slippery PD

Oh god!  without becoming really dull, Im a stickler at work for PC and server security.  It really easy to do, but mos administrators are lazy and cant be bothered.  I have to fix it...  Aaarrrrrgggghhhh

Lazy typing in email.  Use punctuation, capitals, its not that difficult.  Its a little different on messgae boards and chat.  But I hate it in email....

Slips

Banners

Using an apostrophes in "it's".

M@

Banners

And unnecessary use of the letter "s" after 'apostrophe'.

;-)

M@

Mr C

People who waste time by going to file and then exit instead of hitting the X up top MUST be corrected at EVERY opportunity.

My little sister looking at my Prog of a Monday morning just as I'm making my breakfast ALSO must be reminded that a man's comic is sacred.

Mr C

Oh, and people who say Sconn instead of Scone must be corrected.

How do you pronounce Cone? Now stick an S on the front. See? S-cone. Not S-Conn

James

It's.

God I do that. And I hate it when innapropriate apostrophes are used.

Won't do it anymore though. Oh no.

Trout

Except when you're talking about the place Scone, which is a village near here.

It's pronounced "Scoon".

:-)

- Trout

Slippery PD

Ach no.  Thats the famous southern english vowel shift we northerners pronounce it Sconn, you call it scone...

Slips

Conexus

I'm a stickler for these things (') I saw a sign today saying "footballs coming home" All I wondered was just how may spheres used in the ever popular game were being brought back to their place of origin or where they live.  

Pyroxian

No, no, no - it's scone when it's on the plate, but after you've eaten it, it's sconn...

Steve

House of Usher

I suppose I'm a stickler for correct grammar, spelling and pronunciation. But am I a stickler if I notice things but don't try to get them corrected? I noticed a sign in a local charity shop "no monie's are kept overnight in this shop".

One thing than annoys me is when newsreaders in particular use a noun in the singular followed by a verb in the plural, e.g. "the House (singular) of Lords (plural) are (incorrect) debating a contoversial bill..."

Another is where people think it's always "you and I" because it's posher than "you and me", even when it's wrong. They also seem to think that "you and me" is always wrong.

Examples: "Brian will come to school with you and me" (correct).
"Brian will come to school with you and I" (incorrect).
STRIKE !!!

Banners

The incorrect use of "literally", especially on Radio FiveLive. Someone this morning was being described as out of breath, and they said they were "literally cut off at the knees"...!?!

M@

House of Usher

f*** !!! That should read 'punctuation'. Not bloody pronunciation. I don't give a toss how things are pronounced (although I may snigger at 'nucular' when George Bush says it).

Anyway, I'm not certain the scone controversy is just a north/south thing. In the south it rhymes with 'gone' if your posh, and 'bone' if you're not.
STRIKE !!!

JamieB

Not a bad idea, in Heskey's case at least - shouldn't affect his on-pitch workrate much.

J-Bo-hanging's-too-good-for-the-England-team-1