Main Menu

Prog 2197 - Saints & Sinners

Started by NapalmKev, 29 August, 2020, 08:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Diaboliks cover by Dom Reardon.

Dredd - End Of Days, Part 13 Death is revealed and guess who it is? Except I think there's more to it than that. I wondering if it's the Angel Head that's at the heart of this and I base this also on my recent reread of The Grevious Journey of... (Mega collection). Maybe the typewriter guy from the third series is actually from Dredd's Earth and by killing the planet they can stop him from ever writing about Ichabod? It's Saturday night and I've had a few so bare that in mind.

The Out, Part 10. Another layer to this absolute stunner of a (new) series. The artwork is superb as always and the exchange between Gunhunwud and Cyd is revelatory to say the least.

Future Shocks - Steam M For Murder. Was enjoying this right up until the last page and then it became sort of non shocking, with the interesting aspects of the story, no murder/sentient robots that cannot kill but one with an injury might have the potential to do so, being sidelined for a person who will do anything for money.

Tharg's Thrillers - Un Roman Fantastique. It's 1899 and a Police investigation into murder leads to other worldly consequences...perhaps. There's always the chance they are tripping from the effects of the opened bottle. Great opening episode with lovely artwork.

The Diaboliks - A Crooked Beat, Part 1. The start of this series sees the focus on a new character and it's done very well. Either he's hard as nails or he's elusive as hell. Another good opener.

There's a letters page.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Goosegash

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 August, 2020, 08:55:07 PM

Dredd - End Of Days, Part 13 Death is revealed and guess who it is? Except I think there's more to it than that. I wondering if it's the Angel Head that's at the heart of this and I base this also on my recent reread of The Grevious Journey of... (Mega collection). Maybe the typewriter guy from the third series is actually from Dredd's Earth and by killing the planet they can stop him from ever writing about Ichabod? It's Saturday night and I've had a few so bare that in mind.

The typewriter guy was Rob Williams doing a fourth-wall-breaking cameo, wasn't it? I think a return appearance from him might be a bit too meta for Dredd!

Have to second the praise for the art on this week's Thr3ller, stunning work from Roach and Doherty.

Bolt-01

Prediction - [spoiler]Giant will somehow 'take' the Death entity from Dredd and Ichabod will kill him. This will validate Giant's purpose in this mission.[/spoiler]

However, I want to be wrong on this.

and can someone explain the FS for me - I didn't get it.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 30 August, 2020, 09:30:34 AM
Prediction - [spoiler]Giant will somehow 'take' the Death entity from Dredd and Ichabod will kill him. This will validate Giant's purpose in this mission.[/spoiler]

However, I want to be wrong on this.

and can someone explain the FS for me - I didn't get it.

[spoiler]The reporter murdered the Multi-Billionaire former Earth(ian) President so that she can make it big with a true crime documentary about his death similar in vein to Making A Murderer or The Jinx, rather that the trashy CGI-fest entertainment that the deceased ended up creating for the masses[/spoiler]. That's my take anyway!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

A.Cow

And it's a poor cover, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong: Reardon's artwork is usually very stylish but the combination of the random composition and rough linework just makes it look like a GCSE Art project to me.  I'm sure there are others who'll love it.  Not my cup of tea.

Future Shocks - Steam M For Murder. Was enjoying this right up until the last page and then it became sort of non shocking, with the interesting aspects of the story, no murder/sentient robots that cannot kill but one with an injury might have the potential to do so, being sidelined for a person who will do anything for money.

What NapalmKev said.

JimmyNailz

And it's a poor cover, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong: Reardon's artwork is usually very stylish but the combination of the random composition and rough linework just makes it look like a GCSE Art project to me.  I'm sure there are others who'll love it.  Not my cup of tea
[/quote]

I liked the cover, though i've been enjoying looking at tattoo art this past couple of weeks, and thought this cover had the feel of tattoo designs and "popped" with the colours.... opinions are allowed to differ, of course.

Great prog, I thought, this week. The Out wins thrill of the week once again.

JimmyNailz

👆 Applogies for the cack-handed quote attempt

broodblik

Maybe what the "problem" with the cover is the usage of color (purple and pink). Maybe if a darker tone was selected or a navy blue and a light blue combo.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

MacabreMagpie

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

I tend to find Dom Reardon can do no wrong, and that cover ain't changing my mind anytime soon.

Dandontdare

Sorry, it's another big no vote from me on the cover. It looks like a handful of character sketches hastily arranged with a poorly-chosen colour slapped over it - that mauve and pink combo is deeply unpleasant to my eyes. Nothing wrong with the linework of the individual elements, they just look so much better in b&w and in the context of a story, as a cover, it a bit of a dog's dinner.

The Amstor Computer

Probably worth noting in the discussion of the cover that I think it's meant to be taking a bit of influence from the Danger: Diabolik film poster (though Dom obviously didn't go quite as garish as that). I quite like it, and it works more effectively in print with the other design elements).

BPP

Always down for a dom cover.

If Ethan has some line-work shoulders I think the composition would pull together slightly better but overall I likey.  Dom's one of the real distinct voices that 2000ad excels in.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd