Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Personally I'm happy to go ahead with this without knowing exactly what is and isn't going to be included. I quite like the element of surprise.
Whatever happens there'll certainly be plenty of stuff I like and a good amount of stuff that I don't.
Then again, stuff that I haven't previously enjoyed in the prog sometimes reads better in one go.
As a 'best of' collection I'm happy to have a taste of various strips without having series collected in full. What's the point of taking up 5 volumes with Strontium Dog when this stuff is already in print? As for things like RoboHunter - I'd be more than happy to leave it at Verdus with possibly a couple of the Hogan stories and the first Samantha Slade strip.
Rogue Trooper could comfortably fit in two volumes for me (perhaps even one) and that includes War Machine.

I guess we can all be armchair editors but I'm generally happy to pay 10 quid an issue for a hardback collection.

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 02:11:47 PM
Still, if it extends beyond 80 issues...)
Having just plugged the info into a sheet to work out the dates I'm slightly reeling at the prospect of waiting until Summer 2020 for any extension.

TordelBack

I wonder how it will handle Sinister Dexter?  Picking and choosing from that one never seems to pay off.

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 02:43:53 PM
I wonder how it will handle Sinister Dexter?  Picking and choosing from that one never seems to pay off.

I doubt we'll ever see a complete collection. I'm not sure how many pages the larger 'event' stories take up but I'd like to see these included with some of the better one offs as filler.
As Sin/Dex isn't available already I'd be happy to devote a few volumes to it.

TordelBack

It'd be nice if we got at least two.  You could (I think) do Eurocrash and Downlode Tales in one volumed (something around 210 pages), but it you could fit maybe 25 carerfully-selected episodes in ahead of Eurocrash in the first volume, and then run Downlode tales and another 20 in after that.  That'd give a nice flavour of one-offs and continuity events.   That's probably the best you could do: there's just too much of it, something like 160 individual stories, a lot of them one-episodes, but plenty of them longer, and more still key elements in definite arcs.  Of course the recent Meg floppies might hint at the easy availability of everything running from Downlode Tales to the War of the Moses.

Anyone have an overall page count in their head/spreadsheet/headsheet?

Mardroid

Quote from: JamesC on 14 August, 2017, 02:27:21 PM
I guess we can all be armchair editors but I'm generally happy to pay 10 quid an issue for a hardback collection.

I'll probably pick and choose, but I agree. If one pays around £15.00 for a hardback comic collection / GN,  that would be in the lower price range. £10 is an absolute bargain. Not one that we can all afford but then with the back issue option one can order when they're able.

That's what my plans were for the Megacollection, and I'm way behind there. I actually subscribed for the first bunch of volumes (thus getting the free gifts, too, etc) then cancelled when money was tight and ordered on occasion or grabbed a volume from FP when I was that way.

I'm sort of tempted to do the same with this, but I'm not keen on a collection of Shakara.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 03:13:24 PMI'm not keen on a collection of Shakara.
My brain cannot process that sentence.

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 03:23:55 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 03:13:24 PMI'm not keen on a collection of Shakara.

Heh. I thought I'd get a response like that.

The art and creature designs are great. I just never got much from the stories, (or general lack thereof)  although that improved later.

I. E. Lots of Aliens gang up on one. He kills them all and shouts his name a lot.
Repeat

It's strange as I generally like most stuff others like and dislike, and I don't hate Shakara, to be fair. I just didn't find much there story-wise.

To be fair, maybe a volume might change that perception.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 02:11:47 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 August, 2017, 01:25:04 PM(I'm a little nervous about the size)
in what way? Page sizes are only fractionally shorter than a standard trade. But also the books are really sturdy. (A lot of my Rebellion paperbacks have now warped, from being stood on end for years.)

I always worry about size... but then that could just be a personal hang up!

Davgardo

I'm aware that I'm going to get it in the neck here but ... doesn't anyone else feel that in an 80 volume 2000ad collection (before extensions) that devoting 9 volumes (>10%) to one character seems a bit excessive?
(Ducks)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Davgardo on 14 August, 2017, 03:40:06 PM
I'm aware that I'm going to get it in the neck here but ... doesn't anyone else feel that in an 80 volume 2000ad collection (before extensions) that devoting 9 volumes (>10%) to one character seems a bit excessive?

You know what? Yes. It is.

BUT almost more than any Tooth series, Dante is all about the long-form beginning-middle-end narrative. It's just madness to collect it any other way. Plus, well, it's one of the jewels in Tharg's crown.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 03:30:23 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 03:23:55 PM

Heh. I thought I'd get a response like that.

The art and creature designs are great. I just never got much from the stories, (or general lack thereof)  although that improved later.

I. E. Lots of Aliens gang up on one. He kills them all and shouts his name a lot.
Repeat

It's strange as I generally like most stuff others like and dislike, and I don't hate Shakara, to be fair. I just didn't find much there story-wise.

To be fair, maybe a volume might change that perception.

That's a fair appraisal based on the first book - it's pretty much the first couple of Nemesis stories remixed for a whole volume.

Mysterious alien in funky spaceship crops up, causes mayhem, says one word and then fucks off again...

Thankfully it did develop beyond that in the remaining books.

Shame sales of the first hardback didn't justify doing the rest at that size.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 August, 2017, 04:09:05 PMThat's a fair appraisal based on the first book - it's pretty much the first couple of Nemesis stories remixed for a whole volume.
That's how I took it too – and it felt very 2000 AD. Sure, it's lightweight in terms of plot, but I don't mind that now and again, and I'm happy to see it's going to show up in this collection.

Quote from: Davgardo on 14 August, 2017, 03:40:06 PMI'm aware that I'm going to get it in the neck here but ... doesn't anyone else feel that in an 80 volume 2000ad collection (before extensions) that devoting 9 volumes (>10%) to one character seems a bit excessive?
For me, it depends on various factors, including the actual character, and the nature of the strip. With 2000 AD, remove Dredd and you've arguably a handful of standout major strips, of which Dante is one of them. Most importantly, hack out bits of that strip and it makes no sense, in a manner that's rarely true for anything else 2000 AD has run. (In fact, are there any other major strips that couldn't be heavily abbreviated? Perhaps Nemesis? Certainly, you could remove big chunks of Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Sláine, Sinister Dexter, ABC Warriors, etc., and lose little from an ongoing narrative standpoint.)

Max Headroom

I would really like a complete 'Sinister Dexter' collection (with no omissions) either in this Ultimate Collection or under Rebellion's own releases. It's a great strip in my opinion and more worthy of being collected than a lot of those that seem to make it to reprint. Maybe one day...?

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: Max Headroom on 14 August, 2017, 04:36:23 PM
I would really like a complete 'Sinister Dexter' collection (with no omissions) either in this Ultimate Collection or under Rebellion's own releases. It's a great strip in my opinion and more worthy of being collected than a lot of those that seem to make it to reprint. Maybe one day...?

They reprinted a large amount of it recently (within the last year) as bag-ins with the Meg, though I can see the appeal for proper trades

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk