Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Freaks (inc Faces) vs Dredd (Movie) - Round 1 Heat 19

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 November, 2021, 06:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Into the third week now and we're well into the swing of things and we've really been testing those thrill-banks so far and exposing thrills that aren't very fondly remembered and so folks are struggling to recall. This week will be no different, there will be thrills here that are pretty damned decent and some that will have folks wondering why they've never read them... and in some cases that won't be a bad thing!

Brackets at the end of these two are important in identifying what's included here. I'm putting Faces in with Freaks for obvious reasons. Dredd only refers to the movie 'sequel' strips - don't use it as a proxy for our fav Ol' Stoney Face generally as that's the law creeps.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Freaks - more info

Vs.
Dredd (Movie) - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 12th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

So where does the adaptation of the Stallone movie fit in?

I haven't read Faces but remember Freaks as a good collaboration between Milligan and Higgins so Freaks it is.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 09 November, 2021, 08:17:07 AM
So where does the adaptation of the Stallone movie fit in?

Not in either Prog or Meg (I think) so doesn't qualify.

AlexF

This really is apples and oranges for me. Freaks and Faces are both quite good, although not quite as good voerall as the basic premise of Freaks would suggest. The whole thing ends up being a silly comedy that is a bit like an extension of a Future Shock, and is amazingly 80s (even the 2000s-penned seuqel feels 80s)

Dredd (movie) is just a weird thing that exists to be an alternate version of Judge Dredd, trying quite hard to feel like the movie version but after like two stories that's just not possible, it has to be it's own thing. But for me, each new story got better and better, and the final Dark Judges tale was really very good, properly weird.

I want to vote for Freaks because it's an original story, not an follow-on to an adaptiation. But, you know, the good bits of Dredd are too good to ignore. Dredd it is.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Blue Cactus

Movie Dredd was a strange one for me. The fact that it was an 'alternative' version did strangely make me less engaged than the stories possibly deserved. I should give it a reread. The art was nice throughout and in particular I remember the shine on Dredd's helmet looking particularly cool throughout! Freaks is ok, but just ok.

I'm voting Freaks but really just because I like the idea of this being a Dreddless contest.

Funt Solo

This one's tricky - I have a lot of time for the Dredd series - it dared to be different while obviously having echos of the version we know.

Freaks had great art and an interesting premise - although I don't hold it up as an all out classic. Strong messaging.

Hrmn ... Dredd takes it, for modern polish and grit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

freaks
... which was, in turn, bewildering, infuriating, and inspiring.
my vote would have gone to the dredd sequels - but i think the colour palete banished all fidelity to the film. this should have been a dark, shadowy, brooding, smouldering, tense thing. but it was all too bright and light and open.