Main Menu

So is it worth it? Meg 275

Started by Alski, 19 August, 2008, 04:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alski

Firstly, that is NOT a graphic novel. It's a collection. A graphic novel would be bound properly.

I was liking the Meg at the old price with the old content. What we have is a big hike in cash for reprints that are bundled seperately, albeit in colour. It's nice to have a choice over which reprints I buy, but not with the Meg.

Overall, I still think it's good value, mainly because I can afford it. In realityville I can see readers dropping off as once again they are being charged more money for old material.

Thoughts..?
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

IndigoPrime

Well, I think this issue was well worth a fiver. Bar the movie reviews (which are written well enough, but still feel superfluous in this magazine), it was end-to-end goodness, with great strip and prose content. The Jock Dredds, while not exactly top of my must-have list (nice art, but unspectacular stories) were worth the extra two quid.

However, that's the rub for me now—I'll now be considering the Meg's reprint quality when it comes to value, and some of the stuff that's so far been announced really isn't my thing at all. Here's hoping that over the next year the 'pros' top the 'cons'.

TordelBack

QuoteFirstly, that is NOT a graphic novel. It's a collection. A graphic novel would be bound properly.

Heh heh, I feel the urge to head off and bait Eddie Campbell with this one...  There he is struggling day after day against his better judgement with the definitions, etymologies and sub-divisions of an entire medium, and up here in the northern hemisphere it's all about the spines!

//http://eddiecampbell.blogspot.com/search/label/my%20rules

Dandontdare

Agreed, it's just a big free comic, not a graphic novel.

When said big fee comic is 64pp of classic Jock Dredd, it's worth the cover price on its own. When it's Snow/Tiger however, I feel we're due a part-refund of our subs money. Anybody know what othr delights await us?

Peter Wolf

Anybody know what othr delights await us?

Probably nothing that i have already said that i would like to be reprinted in this format specifically.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Monarch

Oh! oh! oh!

theres a good story coming up soon for reprinting....forgot its name....something involving a priest or something!

dcp

I stopped buying the Megazine a couple of years ago because I didn't feel it was worth the money. So, speaking as a non-reader, I think the price hike is crazy.

Effectively, you have to pay an extra two quid for a supplement that reprints fairly recent material. Most people can easily dig out their old progs if they want to read those stories again. I can't understand why they've done it; it's more likely to put existing readers off than attract new ones.

TordelBack

QuoteOh! oh! oh!

Let it go, man, you've won, it's over.  Isn't it enough that Tharg is weeping in a corner after crying 'uncle' at the eleventh hour?  Must you rub your triumph in his rosette-filled face?

Proudhuff

personally, I think that at less than the cost of two pints the Meg is great value, (except the film reviews: ARTIC-B).

Think about how long it takes to sink two pints and how long the meg takes to read...
and you can go back to it unlike a pint.

Also i will enjoy rereading whole stories with out the time space between pages, even that stuff involving priests...is it Father Ted?
DDT did a job on me

House of Usher

The Megazine's gone up in price by 66%.

My mortgage has only gone up by 20% (or "32 Megs per calendar month", as we call it round here).

I suspect something is going to have to give...  :cry:
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Personally i would rather not have to dig out my old progs that are stored out of daylight as its a pain in the arse doing that and i dont have a complete run of them so i would like to see certain strips reprinted in 1 or 2 volumes and i am happy to pay extra for them and i would even go without eating to pay for them.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Mardroid

I saw a selection these in WH Smiths today. (A nice surprise actually. I didn't think they stocked 2000 AD and the Meg there. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place. They store these mags on opposite shelves to the Marvel and DC stuff for some reason high up. The other comics are low down. A way of protecting the young uns from the lashings of ultra violence maybe?)

What struck me was how thin both comics in the package look. I suppose the Meg would be a bit thinner with the removal of reprint material ... However 64 page extra comic (I agree it's not a GN) is a big chunk nonetheless right (albeit smaller than the usual GN/Collection)? Maybe it's thinner paper stock or an optical illusion or something.

Anyhoo, undecided about picking these up. Might pick up this one though, give a proper informed judgement so to speak. Trouble is there's another series of comics I'll be getting soon,(Dark Tower: Treachery), and money is scarce...)

I, Cosh

Quote from: "dandontdare"Agreed, it's just a big free comic, not a graphic novel.
Where I live, a graphic novel is a big comic. freeness is optional.

I find it hard to muster any indignation over 2 quid per month.
We never really die.

The Legendary Shark

Well, I'll continue buying it as I don't drink (can't afford alcohol, need money for progs and megs). If it proves unpopular, they'll drop the graphic pamphlet anyway and go back to the way it was(ish). The only thing that'd give me pause would be if they decided to give us Defoe or Black Siddah as said graphic pamphlet. Honestly, I'd (almost) rather have reprints of Space Girls or Valkyries than those piles of steaming bantha poo.  :?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]