Main Menu

THE 2000AD ADVENT CALENDAR 2009

Started by Pete Wells, 01 December, 2009, 12:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well not been passing by much the last few days so catching up with this thread has been a right old threat. So many fantastic entries all topped off in wonderful fashion by a typically brillant picture by Supersurfer.

Best thread of the year this one well done to all.

Roger Godpleton

Here's another treat: a home run by me.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Pete Wells

Getting the big un-interrupted thread done today guys, with a little surprise for you all at the end. Sorry it's took a while, my little 'un is poorly which means the missus scowls at me every time I go near the computer, grrrr!

COMMANDO FORCES

Well done Pete, will the pics stay on as when you look at some past posts all the pics are deleated. I don't know what the time frame is!!!

The Monarch

Final word on this thread from me

Every single person who posted in this thread was fantastic. I loved every single one of them. Plus this thread gave me a serious boost in confidence allowing me to possibly embarass/entertain people in 2010 with my good writing and dodgy artwork for canon fodder III.

best thread of the year

Dandontdare

Quote from: The monarch on 30 December, 2009, 01:34:15 PM
Plus this thread gave me a serious boost in confidence allowing me to possibly embarass/entertain people in 2010 with my good writing and dodgy artwork for canon fodder III.

Have you considered pitching a short script in the Creative Common bit (maybe even for something like Zarjaz) for illustration by one of the nauseatingly talented artists we have around here?

The Monarch

I was tempted to do so but for some insane reason people want to see me draw it

Dash Decent

Brilliant work, everyone!

I had a few ideas for the calendar but never got the chance to do anything with them:

1. A typical Fleetway/IPC comic Christmas street scene, with a whole lot of 2000AD characters sitting around a big table with bottles of pop with bent straws in them, wobbly jellies etc, done in a Leo Baxendale sort of style.

2. A three panel Kingdom strip; the first two panels show close ups of Gene hacking & slashing, the last revealling he is actually 'helping' Leezee unwrap her Christmas presents (the presents are totally destroyed).  Needs some way to work in a line like "Your mouth is full of mince pie."

3. An instalment of a Strontium Dog strip.  The recap reveals Johnny & Wulf have gone back in time to stop Trritterax the Time Changer (or something).  Wulf scans the night sky with binnoculars, we see a hazy dark circle. "By the Gott, Johnny!  He has managed to black out the Starlight beacon!  Without an intense light at low level those people on the ground will never find their way here!"  Alpha fires an electro flare, cut to long shot where we see three guys on camels pointing at the bright 'star'.  Alpha checks in with McNulty on the radio.  McNulty is guarding someone, but we don't see who.  Alpha asks if there have been any disturbances.  McNulty answers only a kid with a drum who threatened to wake the bairn, "so I shoved the drum up his bum."  Meanwhile, the star has allowed the three wise men to find the stable.  We see their backs as they enter, revealing a peaceful nativity scene (with McNulty in the corner).  Throwing off their robes the three wise men are revealed to be the three Stix brothers.  "Next prog: Gold, Frankinsense and Murder".

I had another idea to do with McNulty's Christmas diary ('Strontium Blogs'), but it's gone now. 

Happy New Year, everybody!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Pete Wells

Three brilliant ideas there Dash, particularly 2 & 3, I'd love to see them next year! Just think, you could have a whole year to work on them...

The unused idea lurking around my brain, which has none of the wit of Dash's, was a Torguemada's helmet Christmas tree with 'sphere-ised' boarder's avatars as the baubles.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Pete Wells on 03 January, 2010, 10:42:14 AM
Three brilliant ideas there Dash, particularly 2 & 3, I'd love to see them next year! Just think, you could have a whole year to work on them...

Well, I don't know if my artistic abilities would live up to a years worth of anticipation, but at least I may learn how to spell 'frankincense' by then! (More embarassingly, I was going to call no.3 "The Jerusalem Job", forgetting for a moment that it has to be in Bethlehem!  :-[  "The Judean Job" doesn't have quite the same ring to it).
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Cthulouis

As it's twelfth night, I offer one last doodle to see out the festive season.

Hope everyone's having a good new year. 

Mike Gloady

Nice one, Cthulouis. 

Applause.

Same time next year, yeah?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

The Legendary Shark

A fitting end to an extraordinary thread.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

flip-r mk2

Another exellent addition to the calendar well done Cthulouis for one last treat.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

JayzusB.Christ

Wow. I never really looked at this thread before CHristmas (what with my broadband being cut off and being generally up to my eyeballs both work-wise and socially) but now I'm snowed in I really wish I had.  Brilliant.  Best thread of 2009 by a mile.  Hats off to everyone involved (and I want in next year!)

Is there another thread that shows just the pieces of work? Some of them have disappeared, such as PJ's Anderson, and I'd love to see them.  That'll teach me to be a Johnny-Come-Lately I suppose.  At least I got to see Anderson's titties though.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"