Main Menu

Street Food

Started by Barrington Boots, 22 February, 2022, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

There's a craft beer place near me that has a guest street food vendor once a week, which is a lovely excuse to go up there and have a nice beer and something nice to eat, especially in this period of extended banjaxery that is 2020 to the present. This week's vendor was to be, essentially, cheese on toast, which I feel is stretching the concept a bit far, but I did try a cactus burrito from a street food van once*

So is street food good, or is it just a very middle class /hip version of any high street takeaway?

*horrible
You're a dark horse, Boots.

CalHab

It can be both, I think!

I had a good trip to Camden market last year, which has a great selection of stands doing a variety of tempting looking foods. I had a burger which was the best I've had in years.

Equally, I've also paid way too much to stand outside in crap weather and eat overpriced, mediocre food from a bearded tattooed guy in a classic Citroen van. Festivals are a prime location for that kind of disappointment.

Got to say I really like the idea of a good pub with changing street food. Lucky you!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 22 February, 2022, 11:23:31 AM
I had a good trip to Camden market last year, which has a great selection of stands doing a variety of tempting looking foods. I had a burger which was the best I've had in years.

On a trip to That Fancy London in the Before Times, m'lovely wife and I tried some Ethiopian food from a stall on Borough Market. It was absolutely fuckin' delicious and prompted me to google (and cook) several recipes, including the ones we'd tried.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Barrington Boots

Got to say I really like the idea of a good pub with changing street food. Lucky you!

If you're ever up Worcestershire way I'll take you!

I find festival food quite refreshingly unpretentious in it's basic burger and chips-ness although when I was at Download some years back I was able to eat from stalls offering duck pancakes and apple crumble, so perhaps I don't go to posh enough festivals.

I prefer my street food vans to be a bit wacky, like Jim's Ethiopian. There's a place for a very posh burger, but give me a bowl some kind of Moroccan potatoes and I'm right there.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

CalHab

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 22 February, 2022, 11:49:08 AM

If you're ever up Worcestershire way I'll take you!

I find festival food quite refreshingly unpretentious in it's basic burger and chips-ness although when I was at Download some years back I was able to eat from stalls offering duck pancakes and apple crumble, so perhaps I don't go to posh enough festivals.

I prefer my street food vans to be a bit wacky, like Jim's Ethiopian. There's a place for a very posh burger, but give me a bowl some kind of Moroccan potatoes and I'm right there.

Yeah, they can be great places to try something new. In the case of my burger, it was because the stand hit the queue sweet spot, i.e. not so quiet that it was obviously unpopular and not so busy that I would implode from hunger while waiting. I also found the folk running the stand very funny. They were both dancing away to their music at a very loud volume and clearly enjoying it. Every so often someone would come up and ask them to turn it down, which they'd politely do, then turn it back up a couple of minutes later and dance some more. It was infectiously enjoyable to watch them having fun.

You can tell this burger was memorable for me.

Cheers for the beer invite. Never been to Worcestershire, but I'm a big fan of your sauces.

Proudhuff

Just can't pronounce it....
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Round Manchester they seem to have themed events - a few years ago there was a Vietnamese street-food festival with several food trucks, and last year we had Wing Fest (yes, it's a chicken wing festival)

I love festival food - on day one, most people are scanning the programme and deciding which bands they'll see on which stages, I'm walking round thinking ' Rotisserie chicken? I'll be having that. Goan fish curry? yes please. Burritos? Add them to the schedule"

JayzusB.Christ

I heard the phrase 'street food' quite a bit in Thailand years ago - everyone eats in the street there, even if there's traffic zipping past (a table next to me was once overturned by a scooter crashing into it).  Hadn't really heard it since until a couple of years ago when an Asian 'street food' place opened up next to my regular train station - very decent bit of scran, but most of the time it's too freaking cold outside to eat it anywhere and the station isn't much warmer.

Now it seems that any new food outlet has to add the 'street food' tag for any chance of success.  Feck it though, during our few decent days they're very welcome.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"