Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I hate the fact SW: Visions is being handled by some of the best anime studios in business today which means, in spite of my ambivalence towards SW as a whole, I'll probably check it out eventually.

Radbacker

The Squid Game on Netflix,  another one of this murder game show type series (Alice in Boarderland) this time from Korea.  Very bloody good, interesting premise (500 or so desperate down on their look do people are invited to a mysterious game to win big money, the game consists still of playing children's games such as red light green light but with deadly consequences) but it's the characters that keep you coming back, these types of shows usually thrive on the sadistic games that are played and the blood and guts and this has plenty of that but it's how much you end up investing in the characters that make it rise above others in its genre:  the last couple of episodes are absolutely devestating and the 5th game had me jumping and sitting on the edge of my seat.  Watch it if you can but give it more than 1 episode before you judge it starts with a bang but takes about 3 or so episodes before it rally grabs you.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

Binged both seasons of STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS over the last few days. Cor, was not expecting to be as smitten as I am. I'm neither particularly a Trekkie, though I retain a strong respect for the franchise and really must commit to watching at least one iteration in its entirety, nor adult animation as a very hit and miss movement.

But gosh, ST:LD is not only incredibly, delightfully daft and at times side achingly funny, but unexpectedly endearing, well written, and just an all around blast.

pictsy

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of Lower Decks (haven't seen the second).  I'm quite happy with the direction new Trek TV is going at the moment and this animation was a surprise at what a good Trek show it is, let alone just a good show in general.  IMO the franchise is made richer for its presence. 

But what do I know, I hate TOS.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Radbacker on 01 October, 2021, 06:25:45 AM
The Squid Game on Netflix,  another one of this murder game show type series (Alice in Boarderland) this time from Korea.  Very bloody good, interesting premise (500 or so desperate down on their look do people are invited to a mysterious game to win big money, the game consists still of playing children's games such as red light green light but with deadly consequences) but it's the characters that keep you coming back, these types of shows usually thrive on the sadistic games that are played and the blood and guts and this has plenty of that but it's how much you end up investing in the characters that make it rise above others in its genre:  the last couple of episodes are absolutely devestating and the 5th game had me jumping and sitting on the edge of my seat.  Watch it if you can but give it more than 1 episode before you judge it starts with a bang but takes about 3 or so episodes before it rally grabs you.

CU Radbacker
I totally agree and really enjoyed this (it's the 2nd Korean series I have gotten into. The other being the medieval Zombie saga - I think it's called Kingdom)
I was surprised at the ending and how they may or may not do a 2nd season??
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

wedgeski

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 October, 2021, 07:53:26 PM
But gosh, ST:LD is not only incredibly, delightfully daft and at times side achingly funny, but unexpectedly endearing, well written, and just an all around blast.
Couldn't agree more! This week's was particularly brilliant.

Hawkmumbler

I'm mildly baffled by folks being outraged at all the sexual content when Gene Rodenberry was a massive horndog who wanted orgies in Trek since TOS.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't deny that Roddenberry was a horndog but Star Trek's sexiness served a purpose. The network killjoys were too busy measuring Uhuru's skirt to notice all the boundary pushing social commentary and social justice advocacy. Nowadays you're practically required to push boundaries and decry social injustice if you don't want Twitter crawling up your arse*. Now I haven't watched lower Decks because NuTrek just isn't for me, but I assume it's just being sexy for the sake of it. Which I'm fine with because I'm just sexy for the sake of it too.

*Although Twitter will crawl up your arse for any asinine reason. Resistance is futile
You may quote me on that.

The Enigmatic Dr X

YOU

Burned through the first eight episodes of the new season on Netflix over the last few nights, will watch the last two tonight.

Some of the black comedy is laugh out loud funny. I really recommend it. It's got a lot of rude-ish bits, characters you can't wait to see get their murderous come-uppance, and the darkest couples therapy sessions.
Lock up your spoons!

Link Prime

Since the entire world was watching Squid Game this week I decided to give it a go too.

Very enjoyable overall, but the twist was a bit predictable.

I liked the Saw vibe, and highly recommend watching this fan edit of the end scene featuring "Hello Zepp" music, inter-cut flashbacks and a more pessimistic denouement; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCjSl9jrx4

Obviously I don't highly recommend it it you haven't watched the series yet and intend on doing so.

Tiplodocus

There's some good comfort telly on at the Been moment.

Stephen Merchant has been all over the place publicising OUTLAWS. It is pretty by the numbers at times (well, mostly) but there are laughs to be had and some great performances from an absolutely top notch cast.

The D-reamy Prof Brian Cox also has UNIVERSE available on iPlayer. Forget the very slow cod philosophy voice over and revel in the glorious earth landscapes and CG space stuff. I did keep thinking "Those images of a blue dwarf could really do with the Enterprise flying very slowly by them".

Not on the Beeb but SEX EDUCATION on Netflix is surprisingly funny. There's a school as a metaphor for Britain in an undefined (deliberately so) time period and everybody is having more sex than you but as you would expect it's actually about communication and relationships. Otis at the moment is a likeable but flawed lead... Just hope his flaws don't keep getting bigger. Cracking soundtrack to most episodes too. Plus I know it gets attention in this Parish so I should mention Gillian Anderson is in it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

I'll be starting series 3 of Succession soon.  It's basically the best thing on TV.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: repoman on 28 October, 2021, 01:50:10 PM
I'll be starting series 3 of Succession soon.  It's basically the best thing on TV.

The make up job they need to do on Brian Cox between Universe and this is incredible.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Stargirl. I should have disliked this because it's full of duff - but I really enjoyed it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 October, 2021, 01:33:47 AM

Stargirl. I should have disliked this because it's full of duff - but I really enjoyed it.

It is irredeemably and unquestionably terrible, but I too can't stop watching. All the teens are such self-absorbed dicks and the resolutions would be so simple if they ever just fucking talked to each other, but the villains are quite fun. I liked the obsessively proud murder-parents best.