Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 June, 2013, 12:31:47 AM
Couldn't really call it an addiction, but I've finally gotten around to watching the TV adaptation of Alan Garner's The Owl Service

They knew how to do title-sequences back then: The Owl Service

Definitely Not Mister Pops

LOONEY TUNES!

Roadrunner is the greatest cartoon ever made. I'll brook no arguments on that.
You may quote me on that.

ThryllSeekyr

radiator

We're watching Freaks and Geeks again. What kind of colossal, short-sighted, miserable arsehole do you have to be to cancel a show as nigh-on perfect as F&G? It's just astoundingly good, and every single episode stands up to repeated viewings.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 08 August, 2013, 08:52:35 PM
We're watching Freaks and Geeks again. What kind of colossal, short-sighted, miserable arsehole do you have to be to cancel a show as nigh-on perfect as F&G? It's just astoundingly good, and every single episode stands up to repeated viewings.

I know, it's mad. They broadcast the whole series in Ireland the same time NBC didn't bother.  At least we did something right. Maybe they should've given us Firefly. The follow-up, Undeclared, isn't too bad either.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Oh so slowly working through Breaking Bad. Just finished Series 2, episode 10. The one where we meet Gus.

I know, I know, I'm behind.
Lock up your spoons!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 August, 2013, 11:31:28 PM
Oh so slowly working through Breaking Bad. Just finished Series 2, episode 10. The one where we meet Gus.

I've just finished season 3. It's bloody well great.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 August, 2013, 11:31:28 PM

Not a bit of it in the Taylor house hold we're still waiting on Episode 7 series 1!

Loving it so far.

Spikes

Finished watching the complete Survivors last night.
Thats been three boxsets with four disc's apiece, and its all made for a great bit of viewing the last couple of months - highly recommended.

(Been after the boxsets, for an age - these particular sets was pricey upon release - over ten years ago, and remained that way.
But managed to snag 'em recently as bargains).

Ive never seen the full run of episodes, so a lot was fresh.
But i'd also caught many before, either on those old BBC video's, online, and showing my age here - from when they was originally broadcast.

Generally, all three seasons are pretty darn good. The third series maybe dips slightly (and with civilisation starting to become re-established, the original concept of the series is effectively over), but still standout episodes abound.
If you can find 'em cheap enough, then treat yourself - a slightly newer, and cheaper BBC boxset is available, if your so inclined.

Now to dust off my other bargain purchase, thats been patiently waiting in the wings....

Greg M.

'Survivors' is absolutely brilliant - whilst the first series is probably the most lauded, particularly when it comes to episodes like 'Law and Order', 2 and 3 also have some real highlights. Talfryn Thomas as Tom Price in series 1 is superb - about as far a cry from 'Dad's Army's Cheesman as you could get - though you almost wish [spoiler]they'd kept him alive longer after his terrible deed. "He did worse things" indeed.[/spoiler] Part of my abiding fondness for the series comes from the fact that I am named (in real life) after one of the principle characters, Ian McCulloch's delightfully taciturn Greg Preston. Apprently McCulloch had plans in place for a fourth series [spoiler](not featuring Preston, for obvious reasons)[/spoiler], though they never manifested.

shaolin_monkey

Oh god, Battlestar Galactica is SOOOOO GOOOOOD.  It's my new crack cocaine of TV.  I can't believe I didn't watch this first time around.  Thank goodness for Netflix - I have all 76 episodes to hand including the mini-series that kicks it all off.

I've been watching it for about a week, and I'm getting through a minimum of 2 episodes a night. 

The most disconcerting thing for me is thinking 'damn, Starbuck is hot!', when previously Starbuck was a male lead played by Dirk Benedict.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 August, 2013, 10:12:50 AM
Oh god, Battlestar Galactica is SOOOOO GOOOOOD.  It's my new crack cocaine of TV.  I can't believe I didn't watch this first time around.  Thank goodness for Netflix - I have all 76 episodes to hand including the mini-series that kicks it all off.

Just be aware that there are some lows to go with those highs Shaolin, but overall its a fine bit of genre TV.

Season 3's Exodus Part 2 is still probably one of my favorite hours of television. Ever.

Goaty

Glad you enjoy Battlestar Galactica, hope you like Mr Tigh? He get better in later seasons...

ChickenStu

Recently re-watched all five seasons of Quantum Leap. First three seasons are ace. Season four had some nice moments but you could see it was running out of steam. Sadly, season five completely jumped the shark/nuked the fridge/whatever it is they say these days, and overall was a steaming pile. And that very last episode... ugh.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

sheldipez

Quote from: ChickenStu on 21 August, 2013, 08:16:19 PM
And that very last episode... ugh.

I liked it!  :o I thought it was a fitting end for the show (not for Dr. Beckett!) :-X

I would have watched any of the rumoured spin-offs they were developing -the one where it was his daughter picking up his work then jumping after him sounded well worth a few hours of anyone's time.