Main Menu

darkies mob

Started by moly, 03 March, 2003, 06:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

now i know a lot of your guys/gals like this but what has this got to do with a sci-fi (slighty fantasy) title, i dont think its that bloody great and feels totally missplaced in the meg how about reprinting stuff out of warrior or even old stuff like starlord early stronty dog etc

Oddboy

Well if you need a link then it's John Wagner...

Personally I'm glad it's being reprinted - I haven't read it before but I have heard its praises sung on this board before & was interested in seeing it for myself.  I hope Charlie's War will follow it.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Proudhuff

Your right it does'nt sit well in the Megazine, but i would rather read this a quality strip that say ' Tales of the Teltoth' or whatever its called, mind you I would rather read 'The four Marys' than the 'Tales of...'. perhaps more reprints along the lines of 'Hellboy' would be best.

Middenpus.

PS can I be the first to mention Hookjaw?
DDT did a job on me

Art

Oddboy

Remember - reprints don't need to sit well in the Megazine anymore - GOLD is a pull-out section.

moly

very observant oddboy, but surely there must be a lot more stuff out there more relevant what about meltdown man, harry 20 which im sure was hinted at as coming soon

Proudhuff

Oddboy, all together now...
GOLD! always believe in your soul...

I'll get me coat
P-Huff
DDT did a job on me

Oddboy

Was on a night bus last month & there was this guy a few seats behind me with one of them HUGE headphone sets listening to GOLD! on repeat ALL THE WAY HOME.

DavidXBrunt

The relevance to 2000 A.D.? Darkies Mob was re-made as B.A.D. Company - the pilot of which was reprinted in the Meg last year. Titan Kano was based on Darkie, Danny Franks recorded the story in his diary, as does the narrator of D.M. and so on and so on.

Now whilst that pilot didn't get a series it was re-imagined into the Bad Company that we are familiar with. So it's giving us a chance to see the story that one of 2k's most popular stories was inspired by. And as Bad Company has been reprinted in the Meg there's a connection right there.

Also as Bad Company grew and developed its own identity John Wagner was able to return to Darkie Mob and write a Judge Dredd story that cast Dredd in the Darkie mold - Wilderlands was a Dredd update of Darkie Mob. Wilderlands appeared in the Meg, so that's another connection.

However I don't think it's being reprinted because of any connection, just because it's bloody good. Shame you're not enjoying it, but I'm more than looking forwards to seeing more.

Aaaiiieee! Darkie!

The Monarch

damn straight d.m is one of the best things about the meg at the mo

Marbles

I think I can safely say the best is yet to come re DM....

"Black as Satan. The Monsoon clouds are coming!"

Link: http://www.frothersunite.com/files/marbles/fanboy/DarkiesMob_Intro.html" target="_blank">Darkies Mob

Remember - dry hair is for squids

paulvonscott

Wot Dave Said, more or less.

I'm really enjoying Darkies Mob and it is NOT nostalgia, I'd never seen the strip before.  By all the standards of today's strips it maybe shouldn't work, but I find it compelling and damnably exciting.

I don'y think there was a strip in Starlord or Warrior to match it that could be reprinted ( V for vendetta or marvelman which were never finished in the comic) though I'd happily see some laser eraser and axel pressbutton once again.