Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

I'd be happy with 2 shorter books collecting the missing bits of Savage and Kingdom. Seems like a real shame to have those incomplete in the collection. Don't think they'd be much shorter than the Slain Book Of Scars was. Could always be rounded out with some Future Shocks or other one-offs by the same writers/artists to push the page count up.

Tomwe

Yeah I suppose Savage 10 & 11 would still have the page count of a six issue Marvel trade which is par the course of those Hachette collections. Only other Goddard work I can see that isn't Dreddworld is something called Wardog from 2001, which is a video game tie in?

IndigoPrime

Subs copies just arrived here, FWIW.

sintec

Stuck the question up on the FB group... might as well ask and see if they'll reply.

Knightshade

Tomwe

This one

I had almost forgotten they existed at all, after spending hours every day diligently checking for any updates on the series when it first launched.

No reply to the Q as yet.

The Monarch

the covers for grey area and defoe are up on the official site

sintec

For those who don't follow the FB group I had a reply about whether the last 2 series of Savage would be included in the extension:

Quote2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection
Hey Dave,
Unfortunately they are no plans to include Savage in the current issue listings. We will keep you updated if this changes.
Thanks!

Not sure if the current issue listing they refer to is complete up to 140 but it doesn't sound promising. Which is a shame.

Tomontherun94

That's a shame, just binge read all 3 vols of Savage and surprisingly found it probably the best modern day Mills stuff, even if (avoiding spoilers here) some elements came up rather abruptly and felt out of place compared to the tone of the earlier series. Book 9 did end with a very "...and the adventure continues!" feel so I wouldn't be devastated if books 10-11 weren't collected, especially as book 12 seems more and more unlikely by the day. Personally I'm hoping for a volume or three of Mills comics just to collect his later stuff that wasn't included in earlier books like the rest of Flesh, the last Slaine story and ABC Warriors.

Tbh after reading the meg's 2000ad encyclopedia supplements it really dawned on me how many shorter series have been essentially lost to time and are incredibly unlikely to get reprinted. (I'm incredibly new to 2000ad, only starting at 2073) So I'd love to see "The Rob Williams Collection" or "The Gordon Rennie Collection" reprinting those 5-10 part long series.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 21 May, 2021, 06:34:56 PM
That's a shame, just binge read all 3 vols of Savage and surprisingly found it probably the best modern day Mills stuff,

Yep I think it defo is. Savage remains everything that's great in Pat Mills. I often wonder if its writing a character so unMillsian that forces it into place that are far more interesting?

sintec

Tbh after reading the meg's 2000ad encyclopedia supplements it really dawned on me how many shorter series have been essentially lost to time and are incredibly unlikely to get reprinted. (I'm incredibly new to 2000ad, only starting at 2073) So I'd love to see "The Rob Williams Collection" or "The Gordon Rennie Collection" reprinting those 5-10 part long series.

Yeah I started shortly after you did (2100) and completely agree. I'd hoped for a few more books along the lines of the writer themed volumes like Sooner Or Later/Hewligans Haircut, DR Quinch/Skizz, Firekind/Leatherjack. But it doesn't seem like we're going to get many of those.

There's at least one more book of ABCs scheduled for the 2nd extension though so I'm hoping we'll get the rest of that series (although I did grab the hardcovers in a sale a while back when it looked like we wouldn't).

IndigoPrime

One I'm slightly surprised didn't happen is The Dead + Freaks. They would have hung together pretty well, and you'd have got:

The Dead / 49
Freaks / 30
Faces / 48

Perhaps chuck in Shadows (53) and you've a solid collection of Milligan work (bar Faces, which had Higgins on scripting duties).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 22 May, 2021, 10:31:17 AM
Tbh after reading the meg's 2000ad encyclopedia supplements it really dawned on me how many shorter series have been essentially lost to time and are incredibly unlikely to get reprinted.

Yeah I started shortly after you did (2100) and completely agree. I'd hoped for a few more books along the lines of the writer themed volumes like Sooner Or Later/Hewligans Haircut, DR Quinch/Skizz, Firekind/Leatherjack. But it doesn't seem like we're going to get many of those.

Leviathan is due in the 2nd extension, and that's going to need to be paired with something else. We don't yet know what.

It's a good point, though. So many great one-and-dones that can/have fallen through the cracks of the reprint machine. Chiaroscuro; From Grace; The Scrap; Cradlegrave; A Love Like Blood; London Falling; Dead Signal; Angel Zero; Family... A few have had Megazine supplement collections, and I see that Slaughterbowl is being released as a digital-only 'trade' this week, which probably points the way forward for this sort of stuff. I'd be amazed if we ever see any of it in the UC, frankly, which is admittedly a shame - but then, where do you draw the line?!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Corinthian

John Smith has four outstanding series that could just about squeeze into one volume (Revere, Slaughterbowl, A Love Like Blood and Cradlegrave).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Corinthian on 22 May, 2021, 02:43:02 PM
John Smith has four outstanding series that could just about squeeze into one volume (Revere, Slaughterbowl, A Love Like Blood and Cradlegrave).

Revere's in the (second) extension! But it's only a smidge over 100 pages, so they could easily fit something else in with it.
@jamesfeistdraws