jumped at 80 (marvel relaunch).
they called me.
why are you leaving?
you keep extending this.
and what's wrong with that?
i live in a one bedroom flat.
oh.

IndigoPrime

I'd really like to get an idea of what the 2000 AD collection will have from 112–140 (as in, a full list, not guesswork). They declined to offer that on Facebook, sadly. As it stands, I'm loving this first extension, but eyeing the next one with a combination of suspicion and indifference. (Boo Cook's art looks very nice, but the confirmed strips—bar one or two—are either ones I already own in perfectly nice collections or ones I don't care for.)

Jade Falcon

So what is the extension details?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Natural spine break at 111 but extending to 140 books.

Max Headroom

Tomwe

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 July, 2021, 12:11:31 PM
Is 140 the absolute end?
I suspect the following is true at any given potential end point of these collections:

Is the collection still profitable*?

If yes: "Good news, everyone! We've extended the collection by [10–50] books!"
If no: Collection quietly ends as advertised prior to the extension.

* And, possibly, is it viable to continue? In some cases, there simply won't be any reasonable means to add further issues, such as when the Doctor Who one ran out of years to cover. The Dredd one was starting to run out of material towards the end. 2000 AD? Hard to know what would be left that's objectively good to publish after 140 volumes, since the imprint doesn't have the sheer output of, say, Marvel.

MumboJimbo

It can't end yet - we haven't had Moonrunners.

Max Headroom

Two books which I'd like to see completed before the end are 'The Order' and 'Stickleback' - neither of which I think are scheduled for the first 140. A real shame if they are not included.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 July, 2021, 12:57:44 PM
Two books which I'd like to see completed before the end are 'The Order' and 'Stickleback' - neither of which I think are scheduled for the first 140. A real shame if they are not included.

Kingdom, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 02 July, 2021, 12:47:14 PM
It can't end yet - we haven't had Moonrunners.

"2000ad - The Nadir collection"
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 02 July, 2021, 01:32:29 PM
"2000ad - The Nadir collection"

And that's exactly why I think it'll end at 140. Even the second extension has just the merest whiff of struggling to find enough A-grade material.

You could have a few 'sequel' books as already stated (Stickleback, et al); a nice complete book of Survival Geeks; certainly a bit more Dredd/Dreddworld (Lawless, Machine Law/Guatemala) and... what else? Armoured Gideon? Skip Tracer...? There just won't be that much left that's reasonably long, reasonably complete and, you know, good.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 July, 2021, 01:47:04 PMEven the second extension has just the merest whiff of struggling to find enough A-grade material.
I think that's being quite kind. There's a lot of stuff incoming that's, objectively, not a patch on what we've had so far.

But, yeah, finishing off a couple of series—or at least bringing them to logical end points (such as Kingdom [spoiler]when Gene naffs off into the woods[/spoiler]) would be great to see. More Lawless would be good, but might set people's teeth on edge being split between the Dredd collection and this one. Mind you, it looks like we're getting more Devlin Waugh, so...

Jade Falcon

Gag, of all the Dreddworld stuff we get more Devlin Waugh, I wasn't a fan of the first lot at all. I'd rather we get Black Atlantic than that tosh.

When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Not 100% confirmed, note, but it sure looks like his arm on Boo's pencils for the extension spine art.