Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbyrnewex

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 July, 2021, 12:18:34 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 July, 2021, 12:11:31 PM
Is 140 the absolute end?
I suspect the following is true at any given potential end point of these collections:

Is the collection still profitable*?

If yes: "Good news, everyone! We've extended the collection by [10–50] books!"
If no: Collection quietly ends as advertised prior to the extension.

* And, possibly, is it viable to continue? In some cases, there simply won't be any reasonable means to add further issues, such as when the Doctor Who one ran out of years to cover. The Dredd one was starting to run out of material towards the end. 2000 AD? Hard to know what would be left that's objectively good to publish after 140 volumes, since the imprint doesn't have the sheer output of, say, Marvel.

The Star Trek graphic novel collection went to 140 had enough material for 20 more issues but sales were not good so it didn't get an extension

The Transformers G1 collection got an extension of 20 issues but it turns out they didn't have enough material, some things they didn't have the right to publish, and they scrapped the barrel just to make it to 100.

The Corinthian

Apropos of nothing in particular, Tharg needs to lock the Chris Weston droid in a room and not let him out until he's written and drawn his new Indigo Prime story.

moogie101

Just had latest delivery
99 Indigo Prine vol 2 and 100 The VCs vol 2

IndigoPrime

Jade Falcon

Not for financial reasons but I'm seriously wondering whether to go on as the collection is largely totally unknown to me at this point and I'd like to have an idea what is coming.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

As in, past 111? I'm the same, but then we're five months off of that point right now. I'd hope we'll see a books list prior to that point.

Jade Falcon

Picked up my copy of VC's volume 2, I didn't open it till I got home and I can't say I'm thrilled with the condition.  Two dings on the top cover, two on the bottom and two sizeable ones on the spine.  The normal tight seal was a loose fitting piece of clear wrap.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Jade Falcon

Actually, I've decided to let Smiths know that I want a replacement, six dings on the cover is not on, Hachette really need a kick in the ass for their delivery.

sintec

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 July, 2021, 04:34:58 PM
As in, past 111? I'm the same, but then we're five months off of that point right now. I'd hope we'll see a books list prior to that point.

Just checked back int the FB group in the vague hope there might be some more info on the post 111 books.

2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection
We have some awesome stories lined up for you including Finn, Sinister Dexter, Strontium Dogs, ABC Warriors, Brass Sun, Black Hawk, The Mean Arena, and Revere.

Tom Evans
What about Armoured Gideon?? PLEASE!!

Hey,
Unfortunately we're unable to publish a list of any other issues yet.
Apologies for any inconveniences caused!

Don't think that tells us anything we didn't already know sadly.

Tomwe

Quote from: sintec on 16 July, 2021, 08:53:49 AM

Just checked back int the FB group in the vague hope there might be some more info on the post 111 books.

We have some awesome stories lined up for you including Finn, Sinister Dexter, Strontium Dogs, ABC Warriors, Brass Sun, Black Hawk, The Mean Arena, and Revere.

Tom Evans
What about Armoured Gideon?? PLEASE!!

Hey,
Unfortunately we're unable to publish a list of any other issues yet.
Apologies for any inconveniences caused!

Don't think that tells us anything we didn't already know sadly.

My pleas for nothing :(

IndigoPrime

More like:

QuoteWe have some awesome stories lined up for you including Brass Sun and Revere, some divisive/mediocre stories like Sinister Dexter, Strontium Dogs, yet more bloody ABC Warriors, and Black Hawk, and we're for some reason reprinting the problematic Finn and so we hope no-one digs too deeply into that one.

Cherry picking after 111, I think, unless I'm missing something.

sintec

I was going to ask how many Dredd books we're getting in the 2nd extension. Given their responses to the earlier questions I suspect the web team don't actually have a list of what's going to be in there though so seems a bit pointless. Just want to avoid buying trades of things that will end up being reprinted in the UC. Guess I'll just keep stalling on those purchases for now.

leethomson

If they've reached the stage of reprinting Finn then I can't see any justification for continuing past 140 - seems that will definitely be the end, unless they can do 5-10 volumes collecting stuff that's run in the Prog/Megazine since the UC started.

IndigoPrime

There's a shouty vocal minority desperate for Finn. God knows why. The tropes it uses are... not good. It's not like it'll even please Mills: he's been banging on a about a Finn reprint forever, but will presumably complain that this one won't make him any money.

But, yeah, it does feel like 1–80 was all the classics and a few other good bits and bobs, 81–111 was most of the remaining quality (shifting in some cases into more obscure territory), and so 112 onwards is going to be a mixed bag. Possibly even a mixed back without a big stompy robot yelling annihilate!

abelardsnazz

I have poor memories of Finn in the prog, and may have audibly groaned on the announcement of its inclusion here. I suspect this will be a case of read once then leave on the shelf to make up the spine image, as per Red Razors.