Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:34:34 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 12 May, 2017, 10:30:33 PM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:26:03 PM
The 2012 Dredd film is a film that is entirely faithful and respectful to its source material, it is not an exercise in fan appeasement.

You mean apart from having Sternhammer Block, Minty, Goaty, Radiator, Commando Forces, Joe Soap, Kenny Who? and Chopper namechecked in various bits of signage or graffiti?

Really? Seems to me Dredd has been putting names on the side of buildings for 40 years......

I really don't understand your point there - you say that 2012 wasn't an exercise in fan appeasement, and I pointed out that *board members* had namechecks in the film.

That's a world of difference from throwaway gags about celebrity named blocks in the world of Dredd.

I'm not saying throwing bones to fans is a bad thing, more pointing out your statement about the 2012 Dredd and fan appeasement doesn't seem to be borne out by the sheer amount of fan nods in there.

The forum even gets a mention in the credits.

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 May, 2017, 10:40:24 PM
The 2012 Dredd film is a film that is entirely faithful and respectful to its source material, it is not an exercise in fan appeasement.

You mean apart from having Sternhammer Block, Minty, Goaty, Radiator, Commando Forces, Joe Soap, Kenny Who? and Chopper namechecked in various bits of signage or graffiti?

Really? Seems to me Dredd has been putting names on the side of buildings for 40 years......

I really don't understand your point there - you say that 2012 wasn't an exercise in fan appeasement, and I pointed out that *board members* had namechecks in the film.

That's a world of difference from throwaway gags about celebrity named blocks in the world of Dredd.

I'm not saying throwing bones to fans is a bad thing, more pointing out your statement about the 2012 Dredd and fan appeasement doesn't seem to be borne out by the sheer amount of fan nods in there.

Because naming boarders in a film does not influence or change the substance of the film in any way. It's a fantastic nod to the support of the fanbase, but was added after the fact - no part of the production changed course based on the opinions of fans.

sheridan

I take fan appeasement as something that intrudes on the story being told - fan service, etc.  Blink and you miss them references that most viewers wouldn't catch unless they're specifically looking for them don't count, in my book.

sheridan

You've got me wanting to watch Judge Minty to see if there's any hidden references in it now!

SIP

Quote from: sheridan on 12 May, 2017, 10:44:56 PM

I take fan appeasement as something that intrudes on the story being told - fan service, etc.  Blink and you miss them references that most viewers wouldn't catch unless they're specifically looking for them don't count, in my book.

Exactly!

Beeks

They've already hinted in that interview regarding the more comedic side of Dredd's universe emerging in the series..which a few posters have alluded to wanting
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

SIP

I thought that their was an excellent subtle use of humour in Dredd, sure it was grim (which worked in its favour), but it wasn't overly oppressive and had a good humour balance.

Steve Green

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:46:48 PM

Exactly!

Maybe you and I have different definitions then.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:43:02 PMBecause naming boarders in a film does not influence or change the substance of the film in any way. It's a fantastic nod to the support of the fanbase, but was added after the fact - no part of the production changed course based on the opinions of fans.

"I read the 2000AD message boards through pre-production, shooting, and post-production.  I never posted, because I thought it would muddy the waters.  But I appreciated what I read here immensely, and paid close attention to your hopes and concerns, and found it extremely motivating.  The forum was also a brilliant resource.  I could always tell when a story had broken about the production, because the page count on the main thread would jump." – Alex Garland

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=36741.0

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Beeks on 12 May, 2017, 10:50:52 PM
They've already hinted in that interview regarding the more comedic side of Dredd's universe emerging in the series..which a few posters have alluded to wanting

Definitely, satire is a big part of the package. And since X-Files for example was able to pull off both comedy and complete seriousness, I think they'll be able to pull it off here too. And since people are on board with crazy stylized shows like American Gods, I think they'll be able to handle some eccentric stuff in the mix here.

On all the 2012 movie talk, it is a great movie, and it has been discussed a lot on it's subforum here over the years. This is a different adaptation by different people. And the 2012 one is largely a John Carpenter-esque crime thriller. I love those, but there are a lot of other tones and things to do with Mega City One on screen. If the show is as good as it could be, we'll later wonder why the movies weren't more like the show, since the show got it so completely right.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 May, 2017, 10:57:01 PM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:43:02 PMBecause naming boarders in a film does not influence or change the substance of the film in any way. It's a fantastic nod to the support of the fanbase, but was added after the fact - no part of the production changed course based on the opinions of fans.

"I read the 2000AD message boards through pre-production, shooting, and post-production.  I never posted, because I thought it would muddy the waters.  But I appreciated what I read here immensely, and paid close attention to your hopes and concerns, and found it extremely motivating.  The forum was also a brilliant resource.  I could always tell when a story had broken about the production, because the page count on the main thread would jump." – Alex Garland

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=36741.0

I get that Joe, but I don't think that it indicates that the script or the aesthetic of the movie was changed as a result of fan comment. Seriously, the lawmaster design, the modern vehicles etc were savaged on that thread, but  they still appeared in the film unchanged (thankfully).

Tiplodocus

You quite often get vocal fans saying "It must be entirely faithful to the source". In which case we'd have had a ludicrous  Tom Bombadil sequence in Fellowship. Hence don't listen to your fans.

Which is a World away from stocking Commando Forces or Goaty's name on a background image that needed some random text.

Anyway, back in 2010 (!) I was worried any Dredd Tv  series might end up being a cheap "precinct show" but early words say no. So that's good.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 May, 2017, 10:56:26 PM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:46:48 PM

Exactly!

Maybe you and I have different definitions then.

I don't really follow Steve, are you therefore indicating that Dredd 2012 was actually an exercise in fan appeasement?

This thread appears to indicate that the "fans" weren't appeased by the movie as opinion is so divided as to what should be included in the TV series.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 May, 2017, 11:02:42 PM
You quite often get vocal fans saying "It must be entirely faithful to the source". In which case we'd have had a ludicrous  Tom Bombadil sequence in Fellowship. Hence don't listen to your fans.

That sounds like approaching this topic a bit literally. From that promotional image and talk so far, they're telling us this is going to be more like the style of the comic, and that they felt the 2012 version didn't touch on the satire as much as they intend to here.

On listening to fans, if they happen to read something a fan says and they think "hmmm that makes sense", sure why not. But I think they already have an idea of what they consider to be special about Judge Dredd, and they are at work on making their vision of it a reality.

When people say they want something more like the comic costume, compared to the 2012 film, that doesn't mean just the comic come to life, like at a convention. Surely they'll have their costume people and props people put together stuff that looks incredible, with it's own style and spin on it, while possibly being more like the comics than other versions so far.

Either way, while I dig the 2012 movie, I don't think it needs to be a measuring stick for this version, and it does seem they intend to take a different approach to the material here. Which I think is good.

Rogue Judge

I don't know the details, but I think it was incredibly thoughtful to include the names of board members (i.e. Minty, Goaty, Radiator, Commando Forces, Joe Soap, etc.) in the film. How did that come about that they got their names included, was it a contest?

I hope they do something similar with the TV show, forum exclusive contests and such as a way for fans to be heard/included. Its great that the 2000 AD community seems so tight and involved (as demonstrated by the success of the 40th bash).