Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Goaty on 15 May, 2017, 10:40:46 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 15 May, 2017, 10:00:58 PM

I see so anybody who puts forward their point of view is 'spaffing' their authority?   I don't have to have read every issue to know quite a bit about Dredd.   I bought the comic right from the first issue in the 70s up until about the end of 79/80 and bought issues off an on from that.   

Maybe you think you're an authority on Dredd seeing as you don't seem to like other points of view?

Wow... okay you the expert, how the Dredd series would be better?

What's that supposed to mean?

A.Cow

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 16 May, 2017, 03:38:12 AM
And whose saying I get to tell anyone what Dredd should or shouldn't be?   Ever heard of something called an opinion?

Don't worry, ABCwarBOT -- you haven't done anything wrong.  Everybody here gets a bit tired & emotional when it comes to Dredd appearing on-screen.  Blows are exchanged and apologies usually handed-out afterwards.

SIP

Quote from: A.Cow on 16 May, 2017, 04:04:12 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 16 May, 2017, 03:38:12 AM
And whose saying I get to tell anyone what Dredd should or shouldn't be?   Ever heard of something called an opinion?

Don't worry, ABCwarBOT -- you haven't done anything wrong.  Everybody here gets a bit tired & emotional when it comes to Dredd appearing on-screen.  Blows are exchanged and apologies usually handed-out afterwards.

Probably not though. It's not that ABCwarBOT is not entitled to have an opinion, of course he is (assuming a "he"), it's the generally aggressive and condescending way that it's been communicated to other forum members that has been the problem.

You can also appreciate that it's obviously going to be inflammatory for a self confessed casual reader (and no offence is implied in that statement) to turn up and appear to start telling the 40-year crowd exactly how Dredd should be done right. It would be fair to say ABCWARBOT that you are preaching to an audience that include people who have pretty much read EVERY Dredd story ever published. It doesn't make us right, because there is no "right" (see my earlier Rants on not listening to fans!), but im sure that you can understand why it might get people's backs up.

Let's get back to the far more important chain links problem.......Ron Smith drew loads! 😊

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 16 May, 2017, 06:57:49 AM
Probably not though. It's not that ABCwarBOT is not entitled to have an opinion, of course he is (assuming a "he"), it's the generally aggressive and condescending way that it's been communicated to other forum members that has been the problem.

Precisely. It's not the opinions, it's the, ummm, vigour with which they have been presented and then defended, particularly coming from a self-confessed 'casual' fan.

It seems a bit like me getting into a heated argument about the current management of Nottingham Forest on the basis that I went to a couple of home games when Cloughie was in charge.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

I take the point about attitude, but I imagine that it's the casual* fan that this series needs to snag, as well as the complete non-scrot.  The rest of us will tune in anyway, a still pic of Our Karl with looped dialogue would probably get our undivided attention.  So there is validity in listening to the views of the part-time Dreddheads, as much as the D-wing lifers.

*Are there ranks now?  Damned if I'm saluting Burdis!

IndigoPrime

We got this with Dredd, though, as well. I've seen quite a few people unhappy with that film because it's not the Dredd they know. Said Dredd is the one from the Daily Star strip days – the fascist who wouldn't dare contemplating anything beyond THE LAW, helped along by his tight boots. In more recent years, Judge Dredd (strip and character alike) has become more nuanced and less wacky, but you'd only know that if you still read it.

TordelBack

True.  I was pretty cool about Dredd (2012) prior to actually seeing it. I'm not a big fan of cross-media adaptations, and if I was getting one I wanted a 12s-cert film with fatties, hover cars, Chopper and Otto Sump, the Dredd of my childhood basically.  I was of course wrong, as the first five minutes amply demonstrated.  More importantly I realised that at my advanced age I can again enjoy multiple interpretations without them affecting each other - as long as they are done with skill and insight.  So I'm much more bullish about this project: as long as they make it work, it'll be fine. 

But I still want to see Two Tonne Tony Tubbs and Jacob Sardini.

IndigoPrime

For me, it's all about how something feels, rather than it attempting to be slavish. Hellboy worked in that regard, despite the many differences compared to the original. (I'd argue the second was more successful in dealing with the weirdness of the Hellboy universe, but the original film in many ways managed to improve the 'origins' and also Kroenen.)

With Dredd, it just felt like Dredd, going about his day job, kicking arse. Yes, there were differences from the comic, but it was recognisably Dredd, and both faithful and respectful. I hope the TV series will be too. (And, as per another post on this thread, I'm mostly interested in a kind of Dread continuation, on the basis that I wanted to see more of that universe, thought it was well designed and cast, and because _this_ Dredd is what seems to have in screen terms captured people's imaginations. But if that doesn't happen, I'll take whatever's served up, assuming the project comes to fruition at all.)

TordelBack

Agree on all points, there.  With the possible very minor exception of the rather cold-blooded execution of Ma-Ma, I felt I was watching Judge Dredd throughout: turns out all the rest was just trappings.

For my money the Hellboy movies are more enjoyable than the comics they sort-of adapt (see also: Iron Man, Avengers etc), and I bet there are many people who feel the same way about Dredd.  Given the size of the readership, that's essential. 

Beeks

QuoteIts not Dredd 2, but we hope that you'll be excited by the next announcement ; )

Rebellion just posted this on Twitter

Urban confirmed maybe?!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Beeks on 16 May, 2017, 10:31:32 AM
Urban confirmed maybe?!

This far out, without a shooting schedule or even scripts, I'd be amazed if Urban could commit even if he wanted to. I'd be delighted if he did, though...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Beeks

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 May, 2017, 10:48:08 AM
Quote from: Beeks on 16 May, 2017, 10:31:32 AM
Urban confirmed maybe?!

This far out, without a shooting schedule or even scripts, I'd be amazed if Urban could commit even if he wanted to. I'd be delighted if he did, though...!

That was my initial thought too Jim..we can but hope!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Beeks

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 May, 2017, 10:51:09 AM
It says not Dredd 2...

I can read  ;)

But it also says we will be excited by the next announcement

I was speculating on whether Karl is on board for the tv series

If not..wonder what it can be?!

Steve Green

Edgar Wright has been angling to do Strontium Dog since before Shaun of the Dead, had a meeting with John and Carlos last year and posted a pic of the Dredd vs Death statue from the Rebellion office, as mentioned by Goaty.

So it could be that.

Or it could be connected to Rogue Trooper.

Jason has hinted that other IPs other than Dredd may be in the offing.