Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 05 August, 2018, 07:44:14 AM
Quote from: Richard on 04 August, 2018, 02:01:31 PM
I have no problem with humour, and I agree that there should be humour. I just don't want zany wacky humour. I don't think enough people will want to watch that for the show to be a success.

I don't think anybody wants that either.   Just some subtle humour and satire every now and then.   We don't want something like that awful web cartoon recently {which name evades me}

Along the lines of Judge Death: Diary of a Superfiend...

wedgeski

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 05 August, 2018, 01:58:52 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 05 August, 2018, 01:16:46 PM
It all costs, but at the level of adding CGI, robots are at the cheaper end.

E.g. the facial animation can be more basic, or it could even be a puppet/person in a suit.

Yeah I bet animation is easier with a robot, you don't have to think about musculature or nailing human realism as they move, and there'd be much less need for  unnecessary movement compared to an animal like when idling for example. They're also probably quicker to model and get to look right too, often having much more simple geometry compared to organic things, and being made of materials that reflect light in easier-to-reproduce-convincingly fashions
The recent Lost in Space, which I presume had a healthy budget, still decided to do its robot mostly as a man in a suit (to its detriment I thought). This should be a clue that fully CG characters are still an expensive proposition for TV.

Steve Green

That's a main character though - apart from Walter early on how often do you really see robots front and centre?

It's usually just the blue collar replacements chipping in, or the public defender droid.

It all depends on how much interaction they have with actors, what they're required to do.

If they're dropped in occasionally then I don't really see any budgetary reason to not have them.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: wedgeski on 06 August, 2018, 09:30:07 AM
The recent Lost in Space, which I presume had a healthy budget, still decided to do its robot mostly as a man in a suit (to its detriment I thought). This should be a clue that fully CG characters are still an expensive proposition for TV.

You may very well be right! I was just saying why I think it's fundamentally cheaper to cgi robots and machines than organic characters and animals. I would hope that the budget at least stretches to flying vehicles and perhaps the occasional low-quality background robot in city scenes though!! I wonder if any of the 3d modellers at Rebellion will find themselves doing some paid overtime to help out?

sheridan

It could be cheaper to have a CGI robot, though if you have a last-minute reshoot it's a lot easier to spend a few hours putting the person in their costume and getting them on set than getting the CGI-people to go through every frame of the new footage adding the extra character.  As Steve says, may be practical for a background character, but not for somebody front and centre.

ABCwarBOT

They've gotta do some robots and other futuristic stuff for this.  As has been said they don't always have to be the main characters like in Star Wars.  Sometimes they can be seen in the background, the foreground etc done with CGI even just for a few seconds to cut down on costs.  Other times for longer.

Again I'd like to see some of the original robots like Ro Busters, Robohunter etc.   The artwork they released a while back was a nice start and suitably futuristic so hopefully that's the look they'll go for.

blackmocco

Karl Urban spoke at a Trek convention this weekend. Nothing terribly new here although a little more detail about the structure of the new show:

"I'm not attached to it, although I did have a preliminary round of conversations with them. I am interested in doing it. There are a lot of great stories to tell there. It is up to them. I don't know really where they are in the stages of development. If I get the opportunity, great, otherwise some else will do it, and we can all see some more Judge Dredd. I did read the comics when I was a kid, as I teenager I read Judge Dredd a lot."

"Their idea for Mega-City One is was basically to build the show around more rookie judges and young, new judges and Dredd would come in and out and I said that I'll do it, but it has to be done in a meaningful way. I can't just come on and grunt and pull faces, there has to be a story there for him. There has to be a kind of little arc and a story we are trying to tell. So, we will see what they do."
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

Jebus, reading that's giving me all kind of chills. 

Steve Green

Seeing all the shenanigans going on with Global Road/IM Global - half the film workforce laid off without severance, lawsuit over unreleased Johnny Depp film, but TV side seems to be OK, but also rumours of another lawsuit about funding for TV side being used to prop up the company, who knows where it's at...

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 September, 2018, 06:59:23 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 September, 2018, 04:10:05 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 03 September, 2018, 03:58:07 PM
Jebus, reading that's giving me all kind of chills.

Are they multiplying...?

... he's just lost Control.

Drokk, bad transmitter on the helmet mic.

Tek-Div better shape up.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!