Main Menu

Battle, Action, Smash!, Tammy & Jinty and more return as 2020 specials

Started by IndigoPrime, 23 October, 2019, 07:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 January, 2020, 02:25:03 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 January, 2020, 02:16:50 PM
I got the opposite impression - it's nice to see the old brands get an airing, but beyond hoping Roy Race gets a boost every time the sportball fights are on tv again, I don't see any long-term strategy beyond gouging existing fans of their dwindling pension money.

What, by publishing a hugely broader range of titles, targeting multiple interests and age groups outside the core 2000AD-reading demographic, and actually getting those titles into high street outlets?

Yeah, that's precisely the sort of thing we should be greeting with studied cynical ennui.

Yeah, Grud forbid Rebellion try and cultivate new readers and a broader audience!!!  ::)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 January, 2020, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 12 January, 2020, 02:16:50 PM
I got the opposite impression - it's nice to see the old brands get an airing, but beyond hoping Roy Race gets a boost every time the sportball fights are on tv again, I don't see any long-term strategy beyond gouging existing fans of their dwindling pension money.

What, by publishing a hugely broader range of titles, targeting multiple interests and age groups outside the core 2000AD-reading demographic, and actually getting those titles into high street outlets?

Yeah, that's precisely the sort of thing we should be greeting with studied cynical ennui.

Yeah, Grud forbid Rebellion try and cultivate new readers and a broader audience!!!  ::)

I can actually see a plan. Looks like some of specials will become a regular fixture like Scream/Misty and I believe we will also get at least a yearly release of Cor/Buster and the Jinty Specials.

Adding to this is that this year we will get 4 Regen Progs. This looks like a way to test the waters. Hopefully this can result into a Regen prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

It feels like the plan is to make some informed decisions/predictions, throw a lot at the wall, see what sticks, ensure existing fans are catered for, and follow up on the stuff that succeeds. Which, given the insane amount of content Rebellion now owns, is really the only obvious path forward. My hope is that at least one 6+ comic would be sustainable on a regular basis, to sit alongside The Beano and The Phoenix. But the newsstand right now is a bloodbath, and so anything we get is, to my mind, a bonus.

But Rebellion as a whole does, I think, also pay heed to those who support it. Clearly, Valiant wasn't a megahit or it'd be a monthly. But the series is being closed out, so we get some resolution. That alone goes beyond what many modern publishers would do. As for the notion of gouging, I genuinely don't understand that accusation as levelled at Rebellion. They could sit on all this content and only drip-feed the same old big hitters again and again. But instead, we've already got a huge rage of content from the Treasury line, and some of it's coming out as floppies with the Meg (when it would be much cheaper to just reprint old Dredds they already have in digital).

Like I said, I'd be happy to see more. Make Cor/Buster a monthly and I'd immediately subscribe to it for mini-G. Hell, make Tammy/Jinty a monthly and I'd sign up to it, because it was really great. But it's easy to forget everything Rebellion's done for British comics since it bought 2000 AD and slide into just being cynical.

broodblik

I agree with you Indigo. Rebellion has done a lot of the IP the acquired. I have the opportunity to read stuff that was never reprinted or available (except in the original format). I will support a Regen prog if it comes out regularly.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Tammy & Jinty hit the sweet spot of my daughter and I both really enjoying it - I'd happily take a sub for a monthly version, maybe even one that mixed new and reprint 50/50.

OTOH while we all enjoyed the Regen prog at home, I don't think any of us were excited enough to pick it up regularly, especially if Full Tilt Boogie has jumped to the weekly. And there was a fairly muted response to the FCBD Treasury issue.

It's a tricky one, I wish them luck!

Professor Bear

I enjoyed the change of pace that came with the T&J special, and my main gripe is "where do I get more of it?"

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 January, 2020, 02:29:46 PM

My point was rather "how will they do this beyond the odd special?"  I imagine the specials are testing the waters and I would like to know what comes next.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 January, 2020, 03:23:48 PMAs for the notion of gouging, I genuinely don't understand that accusation

Like the use of the word "pensioners" to describe 2000ad readers, it was a colourful turn of phrase and no more.

73north

I will buy the , 2000ad Special and above all Action and Battle Specials for certain - but will wait till they are available
in the 2000ad Shop - for pre-order seperately

73north

Can I ask anyone from 2000AD to reply if the ACTION 2020 Annual will be sold seperate on the 2000AD website please ??

ACTION
It horrified prudes and censors alike – but the ground-breaking Action is back!

The 1970s comic they tried to ban returns with the same blend of unbeatable characters and no-holds-barred action – all brought to you by the best talents of today! Featuring the killer shark Hookjaw by Dan Lish, juvenile delinquency in Kids Rule OK by Ram V and Henrick Stahlstrom, frontline German Panzer with Hellman of Hammer Force by Garth Ennis and Mike Dorey, merciless secret agent action with Dredger by Zina Hutton, and the brand new Hell Machine by Henry Flint.

Plus, the exclusive edition available from the 2000 AD website will come with a bagged reproduction of the 'banned' issue of Action from October 1976!

broodblik

Quote from: 73north on 30 January, 2020, 09:05:58 PM

Can I ask anyone from 2000AD to reply if the ACTION 2020 Annual will be sold seperate on the 2000AD website please ??

All the specials will be sold separately. As soon as the release date is reached you can buy them as either digitally or a classic paper

Swerty

Just ordered the Action web exclusive with the additional banned comic.Really looking forward to this.

Swerty

73north

I also got the 2000AD - Action Special ( its a magazine ) don't know why but in my head  I thought
it was going to be a Hardback Annual - anyway my copy of 2000AD didn't arrive - but my word the
Action 2020 makes up for it in spades , I especially loved the Hellman Special by Garth Ennis
and Mike Dorey on Artwork = just sublime storytelling and it rolled back the years -
and very , very enjoyable , I would love an new extended run of this - or if at all possible , that the entire original series got reprinted as an Hardback edition
the rest of the stories were grand as well - one very happy customer
overall , 5 out of 5 - thanks Rebellion !!

Swerty

I'm not going to spoil anything and I would happily buy this on a regular basis.Top marks from me too.

alphadogau

Quote from: Swerty on 21 March, 2020, 07:36:40 PM
I'm not going to spoil anything and I would happily buy this on a regular basis.Top marks from me too.

I agree. Best non 2000AD comic I've read in ages!
Are we there yet?

IndigoPrime

Mini-G (5) just wandered into the office and asked if she might have the comic I'd read some of to her recently. So I just handed over both Cor/Buster specials. She's now reading them in her room, and says they are "good". There you go, Rebellion! :D

It's really odd looking at the current market. I also got mini-G The Dandy annual last year, and she adored it. Natch, she asked if she could get The Dandy... Ah. (I during lockdown sourced 2019's annual as well, but I don't really want to go too far back with DCT, though, because you pretty rapidly hit boys-only and bullying territory.)

The child updates: Sweeny Toddler is "really, really good" and "he totally mad" in one of the issues. She then spotted the HC advert, and so I'll have to check the content for suitability. (Not sure how well the older tales will hold up.) Grimly Feendish was a hit (more Tom Paterson art!), too, as was Gums.

Update the second: so that's (sadly) a nope. Not sure I can give a book to the 5yo that has various folk spanking a baby. Ah well.