Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2020

Started by Bolt-01, 23 January, 2020, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 July, 2021, 04:28:22 PM
Feel free to disagree of course, but I'll stand by my opinion on this one - the entire subject is utter nonsense.

I love the way you snipped the rest of my post to avoid having to respond to my main point about having some empathy with people whose experience is likely very different to yours.

Your Tesco analogy is utterly flawed as well. It's not like "you might run into a racist down at Tesco", it's, say, "would you, as a visibly non-'English' person feel comfortable going to your local Tesco on the day that they're having Nigel Farage signing his latest book there?"

But, no, if you want to tell muslim attendees that they're being silly about voicing concern over the highest profile guest at a con being someone who's voiced virulently anti-Islamic sentiment (and a whole lot of other very right wing stuff into the bargain)... you go right ahead.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 July, 2021, 09:59:43 PM
Arguably the greatest living comic creator...kicked out of a comic convention.

You couldn't make it up.

I'd just like to confirm, in case anyone was worried by this post, that Alan Moore is still alive.

Proudhuff

I repeat:

Send for the Ale-Wing Droid... ;)

(As a stand-in and nothing to do with the discussion above)
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

I've been able to enjoy The Dark Knight Returns, Elektra: Assassin and Give Me Liberty - each when they were originally published, but I'm not going to spend any new money on Frank Miller's output unless he makes a robust apology for what he's already admitted was out of line.  Anyone can make a mistake, but when they effectively stand by it - what are people to think of them?

His peers have said they don't want to share a platform with him. That's not anyone's fault but his own.

---

I noticed a thematically linked news story today about a famous actor stating that they've stopped using a homophobic slur after it was explained to them why it was problematic. A lot of the response has been along the lines of "he should have known!", but I figure - c'mon - you have to let people change for the better, otherwise what are we doing?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

A quick q to any TB veterans - is there a recommendation for somewhere to stay?
I'd like to attend Thought Bubble 2021 but hotels I've looked at seem to be crazily expensive, possibly because they're all booked up by other comic geeks. If not I'm sure I can sort it out, just thought it worth asking.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 02 September, 2021, 02:48:57 PM
A quick q to any TB veterans - is there a recommendation for somewhere to stay?
I'd like to attend Thought Bubble 2021 but hotels I've looked at seem to be crazily expensive, possibly because they're all booked up by other comic geeks. If not I'm sure I can sort it out, just thought it worth asking.

Oh wow glad you pointed that out. I haven't got off my arse to sort this but can see that was a mistake. There are still place in a Premiere Inn 2 miles from the convention centre for about £80. Anything in the centre of is looking like double that... hmmm have to put my thinking cap on this one...

Large48

Don't forget to get tickets as well.....

Easily done!!!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Barrington Boots

Oh no, now I am competing with Colin for hotel space!
I'll have a look and if I find something dude, I'll let you know.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

Really wasn't sure if I'd be going this year, what with Covid and Dave's passing, or if it'd even be on, but I've been nowhere for 18months so I'm in.

Train, tickets and hotel booked - best I could find was £99 p/n 10 min walk from the centre. See youse bastards in the pub Friday night!

Proudhuff

I'm booked up Hotel and tickets, need to get sorting out the train now I have my senior rail card  :)
Thought things were a bit 2k light, but there seems to be a steady growing stable of droids, even one or two Yanks worth visiting. Shaping up nicely, still will be so strange without Dave at his table.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Barring something really horrendous happening with the covid numbers or a horrific new variant, I should be at TB this year. Not in any official droid-y capacity, just wandering around as a punter. If you spot an ageing goth in big boots and a black hat, that'll almost certainly be me.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 September, 2021, 01:12:17 PM
Barring something really horrendous happening with the covid numbers or a horrific new variant, I should be at TB this year. Not in any official droid-y capacity, just wandering around as a punter. If you spot an ageing goth in big boots and a black hat, that'll almost certainly be me.

Free Hugs this year?
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 September, 2021, 12:28:32 PM
Free Hugs this year?

Two metres, mofo! Possible polite handshakes for the double-vaccinated.

Link Prime

Hawkmumbler

Sat down and locked BnB, Trains, and con tickets in in one go. £190 all in is actually incredibly cheap and I'm super excited to see the TB crew again after far too many years having to sit it out.