Main Menu

List of series in 2000ad and Megazine

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 October, 2021, 06:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2021, 05:15:07 PM
I think a lot of folk count untitled one-offs as Future Shocks, even if they don't explicitly have the label.

Yeah and Superbean for me is the classic example of that. I'm always surprised when I see its not a Future Shock. When it comes to the votes for Future Shocks folks can of course do just that.

Colin YNWA

Okay next decision / question.

What do folks think of this one. I'm currently erring on the side of including material that is reprint established elsewhere - as its a series that appeared in Tharg's realm... but there is a danger here. This would include the following strips (but only the material from which appeared in the Prog or Meg:

Charley's War
Dept of Monsterology
Lilly Mackenzie
Preacher
Razorjack
Sin City
The Bogie Man  (was this new Bogie man material though?)

Folks who don't consider it a 2000ad / Meg strip can of course decide to express that by note voting for it. THE big problem I see is that Charley's War is so damned good it could win the whole thing... which would be weird BUT they are series that have appeared.

I'm easy to sway here if a good counter is put forward - so any opinions are welcome...

Dark Jimbo

In that case you'd need to include Hellboy as well, no?
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2021, 05:15:07 PM
I think a lot of folk count untitled one-offs as Future Shocks, even if they don't explicitly have the label.

The actual number of one-offs is HUGE.

Out of interest Funt, what's your criteria for a thrill being a one-off? For instance, I see you've got the three Rennie/Irving solo tales (Reefer Madness, Mars Needs Mates and Monsters of Rock) listed as One-offs.

These ran as Tharg's Terror Tales; they're listed on Barney as TTs; the scripts explicitly subtitle them as TTs; and they're subtitled (or rather superheaded) as TTs in the Storming Heaven graphic novel.
@jamesfeistdraws

Pyroxian

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pyroxian on 10 October, 2021, 02:01:52 PM
There's this from the website too: https://shop.2000ad.com/series

Thanks Pyroxian - I stumbled across that when searching for info to confirm the 'one-off'ness of some of the ... well one-offs and its been invaluable. I've been using it as my primary source, alongside the Barney list to refine my starting list and a few decisions aside we're almost there.

Speaking of which next question. A relatively simple one. Movie 'Dredd' is clearly a different series to 'Judge Dredd' I don't think will confuse the vote and I'll be including movie 'Anderson' so at the moment I'm inclined to include it as 'Dredd (Movie)' - what do folks think?

Richard

QuoteReefer Madness, Mars Needs Mates and Monsters of Rock) listed as One-offs.

These ran as Tharg's Terror Tales

From memory, I don't think they were listed or titled as Terror Tales when they were published in the prog.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 10 October, 2021, 02:15:31 PM
QuoteReefer Madness, Mars Needs Mates and Monsters of Rock) listed as One-offs.

These ran as Tharg's Terror Tales

From memory, I don't think they were listed or titled as Terror Tales when they were published in the prog.

Aye - I went with how things were published in the original progs. (Not saying that's especially correct: just what I did.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Regarding reprints, I'd tend to not include the following:

- Charley's War
- Darkie's Mob
- Guinea Pig
- Hellboy
- Lazarus Churchyard
- The Phantom Patrol
- Preacher
- Sin City
- Smokeman / U.F.O. Agent

And my reasoning is that they're not really 2000AD.

From your list, I'd also ditch:

- Dept. of Monsterology, because it was just a prologue one-off.
- Razorjack, because (excepting the Dredd crossover) it was just a one-off.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Arh now see these are becoming problematic as I've clearly not got a full list... on any of the lists I'm using .... I might need to jettison them on that basis. If I do however I'm in trouble as to how to draw a line. I'd missed all the Annual and Special stuff (Phantom Patrol etc), didn't spot Darlie's Mob, mistook Razorjack as more than a One-off... ohhhh I don't know....

If I do that is it okay to include Lilly MacKenzie though and tell me about the Boogie Man stuff in the Prog, was that new material?

Funt Solo

Well, you can do it any way you want - it's just a bit of fun.

I still have opinions, though: Lilly MacKenzie should be included because Simon Fraser and it *feels* very 2000 AD and web-comics don't count*. It can't be a reprint if it wasn't ever printed before the Meg got hold of it. Right?

I'm pretty sure Return to Casablanca (The Bogie Man) was first published in the prog (but had been intended for a different publisher). I'd include it.

*Of course they do! Hush now. Don't take everything so seriously.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Funt Solo

You're entirely correct - my brain was meaning the "progazine". What's the collective term? The House of Tharg?

Colin - PM'd you.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I'm with F. Solo on this - would NOT include stories that ran in other comics first, then later reprinted in the Megazine. On those ground I personally would also rule out really very 2000AD-ish stuff that ran in the Megazine either alongside version from another publisher - which would include Lilly Mackenzie, also things like Ordinary, Numbercruncher, Snapshot (frankly quite a lot of really very good comics). But as the man says, do what you like!
There are still irritating test cases, like the original run of Scarlet Traces, which wasn't, technically, written for the Megazine or commissioned by Tharg - but of course later series of it totally were/are.

Anyway, it'll all come out in the wash, and Nemesis the Warlock is going to win anyway  ;)