Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I suppose the Tories are doubling down on their Brexit win (a xenophobic policy popular with enough voters to see them comfortably in power) by shutting down safe routes for asylum seekers, blowing the immigration rate out of all proportion, making it terribly difficult for any refugees (be they Ukrainian or from anywhere else) to get here and now deporting people to a country with a terrible record on human rights.

They've found themselves a previously untapped motherlode of cross-class bigotry and they're mining it to stay in power.

Here's hoping that a constant drip-drip of party scandal can do something to outweigh all of that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Wish I could be optimistic about it, but if a conman who helped to organise an anti-democratic coup is a shoe-in for next American president, I think Johnson might weather this one out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

... and in today's news the Russian Government has banned Johnson from travelling to Russia.  Britain takes to the streets in protest at this outrageous decision: if nations keep banning him then the UK will be stuck with the mop-haired muppet!

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM
Headlines I didn't think I'd be seeing tonight: Oscar winner Will Smith hits Chris Rock on stage

I was waiting for a "Gaze into the fist of Smith" meme with Fear's head on Chris Rock, but thankfully I don't think it ever happened.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Newsthump are on fire with their headlines today:

'I am too stupid to understand my own laws' insists man in effort to regain confidence of nation

Conservatives tell Boris Johnson 'this is your last chance' for the 27th time

Parliament to give over time for daily apology from Boris Johnson for previous day's transgressions

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

SNP's Ian Blackford calls Boris Johnson 'a liar' in Commons - and this time, the Speaker lets him carry on.

Gary Gibbon's goes for the throat in this C4 interview: Boris Johnson questioned on Partygate during India trip – as pressure builds at home

I'd almost feel sorry for him if it weren't for the fact that he's a horrible, self-serving, arrogant bully that deserves to fail.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 April, 2022, 10:29:57 PM
SNP's Ian Blackford calls Boris Johnson 'a liar' in Commons - and this time, the Speaker lets him carry on.

Gary Gibbon's goes for the throat in this C4 interview: Boris Johnson questioned on Partygate during India trip – as pressure builds at home

I'd almost feel sorry for him if it weren't for the fact that he's a horrible, self-serving, arrogant bully that deserves to fail.

I must say that I got a warm feeling of schadenfreude while watching Johnson squirm like that.  And then...'we got Brexit done and rolled out the vaccines' in a single sentence.  I really, really hope he's consigned to history very, very soon.

JayzusB.Christ

It's looking good for France not electing a fascist.  Not saying Macron is perfect, of course, but he isn't, y'know, a fascist, so he has that going for him.

Funt Solo

Trigger warning: this is war news, so avoid if you're finding it too much.

Paraic O'Brien's reports are always very affecting as he tends to focus on the plight of individuals: The Ukrainian refugees who end up in Russia – often not by choice
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

It would appear that Johnson's moral bankruptcy is finally getting through to voters.  Nice one, UK, I haven't given up on you all just yet!

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 May, 2022, 11:35:46 AM
It would appear that Johnson's moral bankruptcy is finally getting through to voters.  Nice one, UK, I haven't given up on you all just yet!

The Tories have lost Westminster council - that's quite an achievement!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++