Main Menu

Prog 2275 - Dive, Dive, Dive!

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 March, 2022, 09:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Intestinauts in for The Order, not the best swap, but its not terrible. That aside, well.

Dredd we spend hours talking about Wagner but jez Dan Cornwell is knocking this one out the park. Dredd and the cadets  and others break into The Citadel, the purpose of which is made clear. Still room for understanding where this is going, but so far the journey is the thing.

Kingmaker end with a return and a promise of more to come. The next book is well and truly set up and I'm looking forward to getting there.

Intestinauts looks astonishing and is a cute intro.

Fiends - well wow - that shifted and its an incredibly dramatic episode with quite the reveal then another reveal. Wonderful stuff.

All of which is put into perspective by Brink good as the rest is there little to match this. A strip with two scenes and so much. Just perfect comics.

So its a down tick, but damn it a down tick from a high and it not a bad one. Three strips are just exception and the other two ain't bad at all, so we're still doing okay. With Hope swopping in for Kingmaker we're going to continue doing okay I suspect.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

A good prog and it certainly feels little bit emptier without Vex but still a good prog.

Dredd – Now we know what the Citadel is but what will happen next is anyone's guess. Cornwell has come a long way and his art is improving with each outing.

Kingmaker – Interesting episode as it leads as into what will come next. This whole series read more like a connector between arcs. It is like reading a trilogy and then reading the story between part 1 and part 2 of the trilogy. But still bring on the next chapter.

Intestinauts – This is one of those thrills that is a nice distraction of reality it is "silly" and "stupid" but in an enjoyable way. A wacky world created by the creative team.

Fiends – A great episode as old enemies and "allies" return to the fold. Edginton keeps on adding layers to the world of Constanta.

Brink – Well this episode feels eerie as the plot gets more intriguing. I like the way the two different storylines are told, and the intertwining treats are weaved. Another great episode.

IndigoPrime

A great and eye-catching cover, and an actual guffaw from Damage Report, before we're into part 6 of The Citadel. It's grim. It's fine. I'm still not feeling it. Sorry, John.

Kingmaker is a combination of exposition, man bush and next-series set-up with a massive glowy spaceship. Nice enough, but very much "we're done for now".

Intestinauts: I thought this was breezy fun. It looks great and it barrels along. KNIVES AND KNIVES AND KNIVES.

Fiends was a standout, given it's blimey twist. And then, for good measure, it manages to get even weirder before the end. I'm genuinely baffled by the readers irked about this series existing and pointing at the original run. They are different beats; and for me, this strip is a standout.

Brink continues to Brink. I've a sneaking suspicion it's going to be masterful when read as a single block. I'm also glad to hear that it's taking up semi-permanent residency long into the summer. About time 2000 AD did some much longer tales.

So, for me this week it's: Fiends > Intestinauts | Brink > Kingmaker > Dredd. All very readable. And Brimful has also made it to where I started on 2000 AD. Lord knows what it'll be saying in a few weeks from now, when it's deep in 2000 AD's nadir.

Magnetica

Brink and Kingmaker streets ahead of everything else.

Dredd is decent but no more than that.

The reveal in Fiends had no impact on me as I'm struggling to remember who that was.

Intestinauts sorry it's cr  ....I mean not my thing.

broodblik

Interesting thing about the Dredd story is that we all would have expected that everyone will drool at another Wagner tale. We are more than half-way with the story and it all still feels like it is a setup rather than a reveal currently. So far, the focus has mostly been on the action and nothing more. Some has even suggested that Dredd is not the Dredd we know. Hopefully the story can grab us by the scruff of our necks soon. I am sure Wagner is just reeling us in to give the killer blow.

broodblik

Proudhuff

Dredd top notch for me, Dan's rain and layouts are wonderful to behold.

Kingmaker ends with a return and a promise of more to come. Not doing anything for me, but never has, just not my thing.

Intestinauts good fun and a nice riff on the space adventure/fighty troupe 

Fiends - loving the art and the story. Wonderful stuff.

Brink again needs to be read in the whole, but great stuff.

Prog has gone from nothing much I like to a lot, after 40 odd years reading you kinda get used to that!
DDT did a job on me

Barrington Boots

My copy finally rocked up this morning. Broadly agree with what's already been said on the thread especially regarding Dredd: it's pretty good, and it looks stunning, but it's nothing special storywise just yet.

Kingmaker has been a weird one. There's been a massive shift in the status quo and advancement of the plot, which is cool, but given the slower pace of the previous two series this one has felt really rushed. Ichnar, for example, returned, possessed the duke, was immediately defeated and has now respawned with a new crazy hat all in twelve episodes, and the 'quest' of reuniting the races against the aliens that drove the earlier tales was accomplished off-panel by Ablard and Tycho whilst Crixus and Yarrow were having a chat. As a big fan of the previous series this one has been less a disappointment than a frustration, which is a shame as I think Leigh Gallagher has done some of his best work on it.
The appeal was always seeing D&D monsters fighting aliens which it looks like we're still getting, so we'll see what the next part brings I suppose.

Fiends tops it this week for me. Great art, great tale and those chicken footprints in the snow leading to the final page reveal was just perfect.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 April, 2022, 02:21:52 PM

Fiends tops it this week for me. Great art, great tale and those chicken footprints in the snow leading to the final page reveal was just perfect.

This^^^
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Just adding to the Dan on Dredd love here... Outstanding stuff. Not that there's a bad piece of art or design or storytelling in the whole prog.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

norton canes

Back from holiday and a second dose of COVID, finally got a chance to pick up progs 2275 and 76 today so I've had a bumper catch-up

'The Citadel' may be a slow burner but it picks up momentum now the postbox has been reached (so to speak) and ends with a mighty final frame. Kingmaker rounds off a meadering third chapter by appositely going off on another tangent. Intestinauts treads the fine line between slapstick and drama very nicely, Fiends serves up neat shocks and the first couple of pages of Brink bring some sinister vibes back into the mix after a few weeks of straightup investigations.