Main Menu

Prog 2276 - House of the Unholy

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 April, 2022, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

What a smacking prog. absolutely firing. Now having said that maybe not the best Prog of late BUT given the line up isn't quite as strong as it has been so far this year (it is still a wonderful line-up I will note)  its amazing as so many episodes are just hitting peaks right now.

Dredd its all shooty action (no bad thing in Dredd) and reminding us of context in which to take the story and then BANG that last page and we have another reason why Dredd might not be quite Dredd. What is the truth here? Fantastic cliffhanger.

Hope nice way to start this new story off... well okay nice isn't the word here is it. Jimmy Brixton does great scary, or desperate or world beaten eyes doesn't he. Nice cameo from Monster as well.

Intestinauts in one of the panels at the 45th someone (and rudely I can't remember who) said in 2000ad if you are going to do a spread make in the 5-6 pages you have it better be for a good reason and you need to make it count. Intestinauts gives use the very definition of how to do that here! A series which I find a fun distraction normally but this is a cracking episode.

Fiends and speaking of cracking episodes this is one of a thrill I really like. Just brilliant, so much energy. The ecoplasm positively crackled off the page.

And well its Brink next so we know that it ends on a genius note and this is a truly wonderful episode. Again!

So yeah a MAGNIFICENT Prog with a very good line-up hitting above its weight even, which makes it a very, very good Prog.

Goosegash

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 April, 2022, 08:46:30 PM
Dredd its all shooty action (no bad thing in Dredd) and reminding us of context in which to take the story and then BANG that last page and we have another reason why Dredd might not be quite Dredd. What is the truth here? Fantastic cliffhanger.

It's intriguing certainly, but it does worry me that[spoiler] Dredd clone storylines are very well-trodden ground at this point, so I hope there's something more to it than just another clone running around.

My theory before this episode was that "our" Dredd would die during the attack on the Citadel and be replaced by another clone, so I may've been half-right.

I wonder what Wagner's intent is with this? It seems significant that this story takes place during the Apocalypse War, the scene for arguably the single most morally questionable thing Joe Dredd has ever done - pushing the button to nuke the Sovs. This is reaching a bit, but I wonder if there's going to be any attempt to retcon Dredd's actions during the war by having another Dredd be responsible? But then, that wouldn't really fit with the guy's story that Dredd did something so reprehensible he was locked up to stop it ever being known. Hmmm.[/spoiler]

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

what a fantastic cover!
and the text overlay, for once, augments and intrigues.

Woolly

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 04 April, 2022, 09:05:43 PM
what a fantastic cover!

A rare example of the Logo and text actually enhancing a cover image!
Top marks to the Trevallion droid there.

Woolly

Quote from: Woolly on 04 April, 2022, 10:00:46 PM
Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 04 April, 2022, 09:05:43 PM
what a fantastic cover!

A rare example of the Logo and text actually enhancing a cover image!
Top marks to the Trevallion droid there.

Edit: And editorial design droids too!

broodblik

Well, the prog now feels completely different and that is the beauty of an anthology. Another point is when was the last time we had 2 thrills in B/W? Overall, this was a good prog with a lovely cover by Tiernen.

Dredd – The episode ran like any other before heavy focus on action and Dredd being a version of Dredd but then the that last page, we have an interesting turn of events.

Hope – Good to have this back and the first episode does not disappoint with a great opening page. Love the cameo of Monster in his own movie.

Intestinauts – Well now that we have been introduced to the "Impactors" we can expect some heavy action next episode. Although the plot has not really moved forward Pye flooded our eyeballs with some great visuals.

Fiends – A great episode as we have a sort of rescue.  Our valiant heroes will have to fight there way out the lair.

Brink – This episode we had a lot of talking as our reporter tries to unravel the clues. So, this episode is the opposite of the Dredd episode. Still intriguing but I would like some secrets to be revealed.

The Corinthian

Please tell me that we haven't spent the past forty odd years following [spoiler]the adventures of Armin Tamzarian[/spoiler].

JudgeJudi

Quote from: The Corinthian on 06 April, 2022, 05:43:36 PM
Please tell me that we haven't spent the past forty odd years following [spoiler]the adventures of Armin Tamzarian[/spoiler].

Get bent Juves!

Dark Jimbo

I hope the final panel of The Citadel is a smiling Dredd winking directly out of the page. 'But we know the truth - don't we, readers?'
@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

That scar on new Dredd's mouth -- Orlok?

Link Prime

In Wagner we trust, but I'm getting a Ben Reilly spider-sense tingle in me dodgy knee.

Richard

I don't think it will be that; that was Kraken's story.

BPP

Great Cover
GREAT Dredd (actually very Rob Williams Dredd)
4 other great stories with astounding art
A freaking CENTRESPREAD SPLASH PAGE.

11/10

The best comic bar none.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd